Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Man dies following fight at Finney High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a lot of sympathy for this guy.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070418/UPDAT E/704180453

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5818
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH OH! First Virginia Tech now this. Terrorism in America starts with kids killings kids in our schools.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yesssssss a " Detroit Beatdown!!!!!!"

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are 21 year olds doing going into schools and starting fights? Just for fun? I guess he got his come uppins.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he got his comeuppance too.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Finney. That's the place where the principal was beat down so bad he had his jaw wired shut and where his interim replacement was found to be embezzelling money. People worried that it would create a scandal but on the day that story broke, the janitor who dumped mercury in the hallway to get a day off was convicted. One scandal overshadowed the other. How lucky!

I can't believe anyone would spread vicious rumors about the quality of education in Detroit. People might send their kids to prison before they'd let them go to Finney if the truth about that place be known.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did their principal get beat up? I mean, who the fuck beats up a principal?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea that somebody would go into a Detroit school looking to start trouble ending up dead does have its appeal. in a kind of twisted libertarian way. But what I'm wondering is, what happened to him? Is the principal Jon Lovitz? (See High School High)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say this on the thread about why families left Detroit, but my parents moved from Detroit about 1974 when the small Catholic schools on the lower east-side closed (following the defeat of Proposal C in 1970: "The debate over taxpayer financing of private schools in Michigan reached a peak in 1970, with the passage of a new amendment to the constitution banning even indirect aid to private schools").

My parents said that they couldn't send their youngest children to Denby - in 1974 they were aware of huge problems in that school - so they moved from Detroit.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When did their principal get beat up? I mean, who the fuck beats up a principal?"
In Detroit nothing shocks me

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4143
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real irony of Finney is that it is one of Detroit's worst high schools in one of Detroit's best neighborhoods. It is wedged between East English Village and Cornerstone Village, 2 really great far east side neighborhoods.

Many (if not most) residents in those 2 neighborhoods probably send their kids elsewhere for schooling. So much of the troublemaking comes from kids from outside the neighborhood.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't rely on that completely Gistok. I know a large percentage of kids in Morningside and EEV that attend Finney and Clark and they keep those schools buried in the pits of hell.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It won't be long before the family of the deceased files its wrongful death lawsuit against the DPS. Don't you know that that dead young man was only inside the school because he wanted to obtain some information about adult education classes? He wasn't looking for trouble, he wanted to further his education. He was a good young man, just misunderstood a little bit. The DPS failed to protect him and now he's gone.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little birdie, who works there, told me that a mystery still surrounds the details of this incident and 'everybody was working on getting their stories together'.

The current story is the the victim [<- not sure if that is the right word] entered the school seeking retribution and ran up against a basketball player[s] who kicked his butt, most likely with the assistance of others, although they remain unidentified and a couple of kids have "gone down south".

[The going gallows humor joke at Finney is that the basketball players were sending the message, 'Stay out of the paint.']

There is also a mystery as to why DPS security is handling the investigation and not the DPD. No answer on that one yet.

Regarding a principle being 'beat on', what actually happened was that he was breaking up a fight. While pulling off one of the contestants, the other took an errant swing that caught the principle in the jaw i.e. the principle was not deliberately attacked. He lost a couple of teeth but did not have his jaw wired shut.

Little birdie said also there was no embezzlement by the principle's replacement but there was some embezzlement story at some other school at the time which may be the basis of that rumor.

Tweet, tweet.

Urbanize

Post Number: 948
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one nosy birdie then, isn't it?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! And I just considering going back 2 Finney 2 work there again. And sadly during the 1 year I worked there the Principal was out of commission for at least half the school year due 2 the injury he suffered trying 2 break up a fight that resulted in his jaw being broken. Now you know why I tell mama to this day ".....Your school has CHANGED!" BTW, that was an ENGINEER that spilled mercury in the hallway @ Finney, not a custodian. Guess what his name was.....GEORGE BUSH (no @#$%in' joke)! I used 2 work with a relative of his @ A.L. Holmes ES in '98. As far as that 21 year old who walked up in Finney startin' stuff-THAT AIN'T NEW, Y'ALL!-a month or so after I left Finney, 1 of my coworkers started a fight with a student there over an issue the kid had with a relative of the cat I used 2 work with. He was eventually fired and sent 2 jail. I will confess that the ONLY thing that attracted me to Finney was the area. That and I have family who went there. And Finney and Clark is two of the WORST schools in that constellation. Decent neighborhoods (what's left of 'em anyways) but the buildings are going 2 the dogs! I choose Finney over Clark any day of the week, jack! Either way folks, 'the stories I could tell' about BOTH of 'em. AND I got some 2 tell, too!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Cooley, on Friday, we had a kid who was passing a gun around and was planning to shoot 2 other kids. We didn't catch him...he came back today and tried to start a fight with the same boys. Friday he was walking down the 2nd floor hall holding the gun and threatening 2 other boys. Needless to say, by the time we knew what was going on, it was over. No shots fired but still scary! Cops came, but since no gun was found they had to let everyone involved go...it's just a matter of time before the cheese hits the fan.

This kind of stuff isn't new...

Waxx

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And folks say that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of (Woodward), but 2 some point they're right, and at times, they're wrong. It's bad everywhere in the district and with DPS having a new CEO with a(n) (estimated) quarter million-dollar salary, like you said [4 lack of a much better word I WOULD'VE used (lol)]; "...it's just a matter of time before the cheese hits the fan."

Truer words were NEVER spoken.

(Message edited by waxx on April 18, 2007)

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume the death followed a spirited discussion among intellectuals about who truly was the greatest scholar during the renaissance.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 878
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving past Finney with my daughter the other day and she said that it looked like a prison not a school.

Apparently that is appropriate.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5829
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like KING KWAME said BLAME THE ADULTS!! And he's right! As I watch more American terrorist kids make more Columbine style attacks in all American Schools.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11499
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"All because he was helping someone -- took someone to school -- they didn't know a fight was going to break out," Scott's mother Shelby Jones said.

Funny, when my parents dropped me off at school, they never once entered the building, let alone sneak in through a side door that other students opened for them. So mom, what exactly was your 21 year old college student of a son doing inside a high school?

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wellst who was it Milwaukee? I warn thou, miscreant, chooseth thine scholar carefully- me thinks an age of discord is afoot! Woe to he who chooseth wrongly.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renaissance center is home to scholars as well as GM management? Who'd a thunk. Maybe GM can get some free advice.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher wrote:

quote:

At Cooley, on Friday, we had a kid who was passing a gun around and was planning to shoot 2 other kids.

It is great to see that Cooley has not changed that much since 1972-73. The first gun I ever owned I bought from a kid in Calculus II class at Cooley. It is a Ruger .22 LR and still fires great.

Urbanize

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^So in other words, the kids have always treated and acted in the schools like crap. It just has gotten worse.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"^^^^So in other words, the kids have always treated and acted in the schools like crap. It just has gotten worse."

Correct,

I myself was no angel, well by today's standards I may have been.

(Message edited by club boss on April 19, 2007)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, Cooley was pretty rough in '72 as there was plenty of racial tension in the school. I have no recollection of anyone pointing pistols at anyone, though there were loads of fights.

Gcalan
Username: Gcalan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i graduated from finney in 1984 and is was terrible even back then!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"I was driving past Finney with my daughter the other day and she said that it looked like a prison not a school."

My father-in-law said the same thing on his first visit to my house (EEV).

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 879
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clean the windows!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at those schools. Finney has been a mess for a long time. How can anyone get an education in an environment like that? No wonder there are so many dumb fux in the city.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to get Morgan Freeman on the scene to get those test scores up! Chain the doors to keep these vagrants out!!

Waxx

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO! We need some Joe Clarks to run some DPS schools. If I get an opportunity I'm going to rent both Lean on Me and The Principal (those were kick-@$$ HS flix in the 80s).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.