Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Abandoned Properties « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello all - i am writing a paper for my GIS mapping class and I am looking around for any sort of list of abandoned properties, list of city-owned vacant properties, or even just ideas on where I could find this sort of data. I will be using the data to examine what factors may have influenced whether neighborhoods have retained residents or lost them throughout Detroit's depopulation of the last half century.

thanks in advance.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also would like to see if I can get some help on the status of an apparently abandoned apartment building in Highland Park. I grew up during WW2 at 70 Highland. Running through one of the DetroitYES tours, I was saddened to see a photo of this building suffering from severe fire damage and many broken windows. Does anyone know whether this building was ever repaired? Thanks for the help.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Innovator, you should be able to get help with your question at the city's clerk’s office. If you would like some photos, I've got tons of them from the east side. I would like to welcome Swede1934 to Detroityes. I'm not sure which building you were referring to, if you could be more specific. Example photo:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /181/448777272_9d819a6809_b.jp g

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3264
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city's property tax information site used to have software which produced maps showing vacant parcels (in red):

The city now charges a fee to use the site and I don't think it has the mapping capability anymore. The information is there. Contact them to see how you can retrieve it. Good luck!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about seeing red!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Swede. I lived just the other side of Woodward, on Colorado, for 27 years. 70 Highland has been abandoned for at least 30 years. Too bad, it along with the Kumber and Sharon Hall formed the the most beautiful row of apartments buildings in the D.

For those not familiar, this tragic beauty can be seen on my Fabulous Apartment Ruins tour at: https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2006/02-FabulousApartmentRui ns/102.htm

What was it like inside Swede?

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a ton. That's a great start.

Swede1934

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the answer, Lowell. We lived in apt 204 to the back of that building. The front entrance had dark wood paneling, carpeting, and a number of comfortable couches. My best memory was the smell of chocolate wafting from the candy factory at the corner of Glendale and Second.
BTW, do you know why the name of the elementary school on Cortland was changed. When I went there it was known as Ferris Elementary, but when I recently checked, it had been changed to Cortland Elementary.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to DY Swede! The Fabulous Apt. Ruins Tour was my introduction to DY and your building,70 Highland, is my favorite (or one of them), it's hard to decide!

I have a couple of questions for you: What was the room behind the five vertical windows on the first floor next to the entry door? And what was behind the keyhole window above the entry?

This building fascinates me.

Did your apt have many rooms? Did it have a long hallway? (long hallways in homes/apts also fascinate me)(feel free to tell me what that 'means' anyone!)

You can probably tell I've romanticized your building in my mind, so I appreciate any other memories you can rustle up!

Swede1934

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
Those windows were all part of the lobby. There were two apartments, opposite each other that had entries at the back of the lobby. The single elevator also opened into the lobby. All of the doors continued the dark paneling.
As to the apartment, we had two bedrooms, one bath, a livingroom, and a diningroom/kitchen. It did have a relatively long hallway which connected the living room to the bath and bedrooms, and included the entrance door from the main floor hallway. I was 9 when we moved, so I may have forgotten something.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swede, it must have felt like a huge castle to you! Thanks for the visual!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swede1934, do you have any photos from back in that apartment? We would love to see them if you do.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3805
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is your school from last spring.

Ferris School Highland Park

Ferris School Highland Park

Swede1934

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for those pictures, needless to say that school was big. It had a large indoor swimming pool on the east end. I must have gotten some bad info on the name change.
As to pictures at 70 Highland, I'm going to have to do some real looking and see what I can come up with.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.