Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Worst shooting headline - Detroit "related" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and I put related in quotes:

"Va. Tech gunman entered U.S. through Detroit"

The student (gunman) comes from a country that Northwest serves.

Detroit is an Northwest hub.

Student comes to United States via Detroit on NWA.

Like what's the point?

Or as they used to say, "what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did this headline appear?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the headline but ...

quote:

Immigration records maintained by the Department of Homeland Security show that Cho was born in South Korea on Jan. 18, 1984, and entered the United States through Detroit on Sept. 2, 1992. He had last renewed his green card on Oct. 27, 2003.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070417/NEW S07/70417023

(Message edited by tetsua on April 17, 2007)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 808
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for the rumours that the gunman entered the US through Detroit from Canada....

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh huh.....let's not overreact here.....would you prefer they just make up a city?

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem, uh Steve.....let's let the dust settle on this tragedy before we get huffy over an unintentioned, thin-skinned and ill-percieved slight.

Maybe now would be a good time to feed the emus and harvest some of those emu eggs, or maybe some of those hairy feathers. Right? Aren't they kind of like Apteryx's? Wingless birds w/hairy feathers? (RIP Johnny Hart) Take your over-active mind off current events, maybe. Did I mis any hyphening opportunities?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5024
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because they say he came through here (and thousands of other law abiding immigrants have too) doesn't mean that he picked up firearms here in Detroit enroute to Virginia.

I'd say that this was just a factual sort of thing and not a knock against Detroit- just like the fact that a lot of the articles also talk about the color of his parents' house. It doesn't necessarily mean that these facts made him a killer.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I know but who cares if he entered the U.S. from Deetroit or anywhere else in the states. It has nothing to do with the shooting and although maybe we are over reacting, its just an unecessary article.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho was carrying a backpack that contained receipts for a March purchase of a Glock 9-mm pistol."

"A U.S. federal government official said Cho had been born in South Korea on Jan. 18, 1984 and entered the U.S. on Sept. 2, 1992."

"As a green card holder, Cho would have been eligible to purchase a handgun in Virginia, barring a criminal record."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,266523,00.html

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5028
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just one microscopic part of the article. The article only mentions Detroit ONCE.

Let's not as Detroiters get thin skinned and get hung up on the fact that the papers mentioned our fair city for that scant second. Part of why it was included in the stories have been just to paint some of the shooter's background. Or would we just prefer articles that say "MAN SHOOTS PEOPLE" or just bulletpoint (no pun intended) the highlights?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans57:

It was the lead of the Internet version of the Detroit News.

www.detnews.com

It is still up as I post.

"Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Print this Comment on this E-mail this

Va. Tech gunman entered U.S. through Detroit

Associated Press"

My point is that it is completely meaningless or trivial to say which International airport someone flies into. He was here legally so DTW, JFK, Dulles, etc. What is the point?

P.S. Dulles is a short hop from where the kid lived in No. Va.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My point is that it is completely meaningless or trivial to say which International airport someone flies into. He was here legally so DTW, JFK, Dulles, etc. What is the point?"

Besides he was 8 at the time.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but how many sleeper-cells of disgruntled English majors entered this country via Detroit almost 15 years ago?

"Dude, it all changed after 9/2/92..."

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is completely unrelated to the shooting and I doubt anyone reading the article will blame the shooting on the fact that he came through Detroit. Sometimes I think people dig to find ways to blame Detroit for things that are completely unrelated...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe what they (the media) were getting at is just breathing Detroit’s air can make you a gun wielding maniac. But I doubt it.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just Detroit media's desperate attempt to find a "local connection" for reporting a major story.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right, Cris.

I hate to pick up the paper (or check online) when a major news story occurs and the second lead article deals with some local folks who were not involved at all but get interviewed simply because they were in the vacinity. Do I really care if someone in Gibralatar or wherever has a second uncle who may have taught this guy in a class for one semester?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the sad story for me is that I run at the high school track where one of the victims practiced lacrosse before she graduated from high school last June and headed to Tech.

I didn't know the victim but I'm sure she was there with her team while I was running laps on the school's track.

I'm sure the high school lacrosse team has to be in shock as she was their former teammate from last year.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did hear Fox News slip up and refer to that office shooting as "Last week's office shooting in Detroit". I mean, I guess Troy and Detroit sound somewhat similiar, but...

Emu_steve

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got to figure does "shooting in the Detroit suburb of..." imply negative things about Detroit? ;-)

guilt by association? ;-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4144
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much ado about nothing... would it give you folks a warmer fuzzier feeling if the report said he came to the USA thru DTW Romulus...

Cliff19336
Username: Cliff19336

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the point is that the media is trying to oversensationalize everything. And since Detroit has such a negative rep in the media, its only natural to imply that the shooter somehow got tainted during his stop-over in Detroit and became a mass murderer.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victim Brian Bluhm, 25, was born in Iowa and raised in Detroit, according to friends.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18 143312/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.