Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ferndale Girl Dies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sad local story:
http://www.theoaklandpress.com /stories/041607/loc_2007041689 .shtml

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A freak accident. Very sad news indeed.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you imagine how that teacher feels right now. Wow, something you would never think would happen. I was looking up quite a bit since I saw two pine trees that were down with their roots ripped right out of the ground. One came down in the backyard of a foreclosed home that I can see from my house, it fell over the sidewalk, since nobody is living there I wonder how long it will be there. Since the tree was dead, I might go over and cut it up for firewood. It's one street behind us on the corner if you want to check it out bullet.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know I will!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5805
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High winds from the noreastern storm and a fragile flagpole made the child die. This is truly act of nature.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we all need to send our thoughts and prayers to this family and the school...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should not have been an accident. Wind speeds were well below the design criteria for the area. The flagpole was designed/fabricated/constructe d improperly. There is a person somewhere whose negligence led to this needless death.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to visualise the "interior courtyard" at Roosevelt, and the only one I can remember is the center one that the interior classrooms used for outside light. Memory says the flagpole was on the brick "patio" facing Pinecrest.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My inside source said the pole snapped part way up. The top portion came down on the girl. He said the EMT's who responded were devastated by this one. Hug your kids tonight, and tell them what you always tell them "I love you".

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the pole snapped part way up

Makes sense. I saw a photo of people moving part of the pole while another part was in the back of a truck.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between all the coverage of the Va Tech killings and this story the Freep made for a depressing read this morning. Just an absolutely terrible story.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Detroit News too. I'm not usually bothered by that but even I had to set the paper aside this morning. Sigh.

Good things happen too. Sometimes you have to help them along a bit.

I once witnessed a tearful widow saying aloud to an empty chair: "I miss you." It wasn't meant to be seen so I pretended not to have seen it. Haunted, I later drove her to the park where we sat for an hour, watching children play on a beautiful day. She was happy. It was a beautiful day. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 17, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.