Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Restaurants filled downtown on Saturday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, the teen thing at Ford Field has filled any fastfood type of business downtown with lines that were out the doors.

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on April 15, 2007)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, may I interest you in the "What's with all the spelling errors?" thread on the Detroit Connections page?

But yes, there were a crapload of kids running around today.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beyond the spelling errors, what about a lesson on syntax? Ouch, de-ciphering that needed several Rosetta Stones... and I'm still not sure what Urban meant.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, I feel for you, could you please be a bit more specific and correct your spelling errors because the members on here will bash you about it to your death bed.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too. There was bus after bus of jesusites driving around downtown.

I was at the courtyard last night, the whole floor was filled with pale christian kids.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too. There was bus after bus of jesusites driving around downtown.

Where's an IED when you need one? :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just took the family to Mexican Village, we actually had to wait for a table, the first time that's happened in a long time.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That can't be a bad thing. All visitors' money is green.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, that wasn't very nice. And the smiley face didn't make it a funny joke.

I bet these 'jesusites' were very well mannered for teens. I like Christian teens. Sorry.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where's an IED when you need one?

i thought that was fucking hilarious.

i drove though downtown after hitting eastern market early this afternoon and felt the same way

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee-

Did you ask any of those Jesuits about an exorcism for you (LOL). Yeah, spelling errors. I won spelling bees in grade school. I keep a dictionary next to me because I don't want anybody to know that I don't know how to spell a word. Urban, where is your pride? Heysoos!!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a pathetic bunch posts. A group of 30,000 people come to Detroit to do whatever business they desire and you all bitch. Theses people arent good enough for Detroit?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Kenp!

I think that Rhymes and Gravity and any other people who post negative things about thousands of Christian kids with money in their pockets coming to Detroit are just trying to be funny.

It's so very easy to poke fun at Christians.

It must be wierd for Detroiters to see many nice, well behaved teens in the Urban Jungle.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first-- I did notice the activity downtown both friday and saturday. Another good weekend to live and work downtown
Kathinozarks -- you almost made a point but in response to a crude joke you say that the hundreds of thousands of children and teens that live in detroit are "an urban jungle". That is a cruel generalization. In fact most Detroit children are christians and attend church regularly. It makes me sad to see how much a so called christian can hate the children and teens of detroit.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks: your use of the loaded word "jungle" shows exactly where you are coming from, and your well-behaved Christian teens would stone young women who have had premarital sex if they thought they could get away with it. Why do you think they call the event "Battle Cry"? No one should be fooled by the politeness--it's part of the plan.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's a big difference between bitching and poking fun of. The biggest effect they had on me was clogging up a skywalk coming from the parking structures into the RenCen as I was leaving work on Friday. I noticed one guy had a bible in his hand but didn't think anything of it. Then I saw a church bus from Wisconsin (immediately recognized the 262 area code) outside the Marriott on E. Jefferson on Saturday.

And bump for Warrenite84's comment.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may be funny to talk about, but if all these people are cool with coming to Detroit, and this gives exposure and downtown activity to our city, then let's give them a pat on the back. There's no use making fun of it even behind their back. If we want to become a better city and if we want to lose our stigmas, we shouldn't talk about visitors like this.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 898
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, taunting them and rolling our eyes at them will only want them to keep away from Detroit even more.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great that people are bringing their events (and money) to Detroit. Our region needs to court more groups to do events like this. We need to capitalize on these events to bring money to our economy (it needs it).

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were also a lot of Detroiters at Ford field. I saw a huge group from the Little Rock church. This thing was here last year as well.
But the real thing is, it doesnt matter who they are, they came to Detroit, Thank YOU!!!
The IED comment was a strange way to "poke fun".

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to some unusual circumstances I spent a couple of evenings at the Ren Cen Marriott last summer. The place was packed with friendly but boisterous and tourist-y types. They wandered around, lost, looking up, and taking pictures of things that natives no longer even notice. They were the same as the kids that you're describing above, in town for an church ushers' conference - Christian, well-behaved, spending money, and generally impressed with this run-down town. Only difference between "them" and the kids cited above: the group that I saw was black. So, IEDs and snooty comments, or a silent prayer of thanks for their time and money, and then a kind word and encouragement for a return visit? You smartasses who cannot abide by Christians (of any color)or white people: you should explain to the hoteliers and eating-places why there are so few conventions and subsequent economic benefit.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown and Tex,

Of course there are well behaved children and teens in Detroit.

To think otherwise would be ridiculous.

I referred to THE CITY as an Urban Jungle (not the first time the term has been used) - NOT THE CHILDREN. You mis-quoted me.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought i had your meaning. here is the paragraph as I found it.
"it must be wierd for Detroiters to see many nice, well behaved teens in the Urban Jungle."

now you say
"Of course there are well behaved children and teens in Detroit. "
thanks for your support of Detroit's children. I am sure as a Christian they are your biggest reason to participate in this forum.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown, what the heck are you saying?

Do you know me personally? At what point did I say that I'm a Christian?

You are over-reacting to nothing.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh, the phrase "urban jungle" is NOT a loaded phrase. Grow up.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The kids were well behaved and quiet I thought. I noticed they were from Wisconsin also. Its good that they're exposing the kids to the supposed big bad city. I hope their trip changed all their minds. It's a great thing to bring these kids downtown for a fun weekend in Detroit.

They could have had this up in Pontiac and all stayed in Troy or something.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't see all this fuss up in here when the NOI & Calipso Louie took over Ford Field for their show a little more than a month ago...

We welcomed them to the city; should this group get anything other than the same open-arm treatment?.

It's become too acceptable to poke fun at Christians in our "tolerant" nation. It's kinda like the teasing the class geek on the playground, you know he won't fight back, so he's easy prey.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's kinda like the teasing the class geek on the playground, you know he won't fight back, so he's easy prey"

Yeah, that is fun. I remember the good ole days. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.