Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sheraton Detroit Pontchartrain « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't heard too much on this project lately. My guess is that the renovations are near complete. Anyone out there have any updates, esp. pics of the hopefully more tasteful interior?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its the official hotel of the jazz fest. There are going to have a few events at the "Top of the Ponch," so it must not be too shabby anymore

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so did the hotel get a face lift

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it did

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A face lift, tummy tuck, breast augmentation and glute enhancement...
Ahh, but she's still the same old queen under that cosmetic work.

Butkaeri
Username: Butkaeri

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the hotel still taking the Sheraton name? The hotel is not listed on Sheraton's website....

When is this supposed to happen?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the Ponch is still a dump

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Source?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had some friends stay at the Garden Hilton, they said it was nice. I never even thought about getting them a room at the Ponch. We need to find somebody that can give us a true review. I hope its nice again.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 882
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Are you still planning to become a Sheraton?"
"We are still undergoing renovations to accomplish that"

"OH..I thought that would have happened by now"
"There are still a number of renovations that need to happen to meet their code"

"ok. Thanks"

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually do a monthly visit to The Pontch to see the status of things. I was just there about a week ago. Here are some observations:

-Main lobby and front desk were completely closed off as they are gutting that area
-Temporary front desk which consisted of two tables and two chairs was located in the Motor Lobby
-Motor Lobby is pretty much complete with brand new white marble-looking flooring and glass walls that surround the new fitness center and indoor pool. Couldn't really get a good look at these amenities since they are not yet open and closed off.
-Restaurant on lobby level was open at the time
-Floors 14-18 are closed for renovations but it looks as if all other floors have been completely renovated but are still awaiting final touches in hallways (some lighting, accent furniture, pop machines).
-Top of Pontch was completely vacant with really drab looking grey office carpet and white walls on one side and then completely a mess with construction on the other side
-Terrace level where the old fitness center, outdoor pool and conference rooms are located is pretty much vacant with ceiling tiles missing. Looks like they just started to work on this floor.
-Elevators have not been upgraded at all and still say "Crowne Plaza" level which is obviously a little dated since the hotel hasn't been a Crowne Plaza in like 4 years or even more?

I stopped by during the SAE conference at Cobo. Wow, I'm sure those conference attendees were not impressed with their hotel.

The signs says they are planning on becoming the "Sheraton Riverside Hotel." So it looks as if they are dropping the Pontchartrain name completely. A big disappointment!

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, it's disappointing that the Pontch name with disappear for a more generic one. Though given the hotels riverfront views it's understandable for marketing purposes why they'd change the name.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That and the fact that it isn't the Pontchartrain Hotel. I'm not sentimental about it losing the Pontchartrain name, because it never was the 'Pontchartrain Hotel.'

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 415
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there for dinner on my 16th birthday. I have good memories of that. We also went there after the NCAAs into a Nike hotel room full of free shoes - pretty funny, take what you want.

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out (CAN I DO THIS?) www.tripadvisor.com

comments are supposed to be unsolicited guest reviews...

I'm in the hotel business in VA Beach, most reviews of my property are honest when you throw out the extremes. the Ponch had mostly bad reviews...some downtown hotel reviews would be funny if it wasn't so true. anyway, check out the website and just use it as another source...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Roomseller the link to that web site. When I searched for Detroit, I took a look at the reviews of the Pontchartrain.THE IMAGE OF DETROIT THAT OUTSIDERS HAVE IS CONFIRMED WHEN THEY STAY AT OUR HOTELS. Some of the surprising comments:

Hotel Pontchartrain:
"The only good thing about the hotel is that you can see all the mayhem and devastation from behind a glass window several stories up. Detroit is Hell, and this hotel is purgatory. Do yourself a favor, if you have to visit Detroit for any reason make sure that you stay in the northern suburbs, you stand a better chance of not getting killed there. Just a slightly better chance."

"...We tried several different rooms - all with the same outcome. We ended up with headaches, sinus issues, and itchy, red eyes. We got a rash from the sheets, which were very rough. The towels had an odor. We had to fix our own toilet TWICE. There was almost no water pressure or hot water. When we ran out of toilet paper, we were treated rudely by the maid who practically accused us of stealing it. We were never provided an ice bucket despite asking repeatedly although I suppose that was ok since all the ice machines were removed from the hotel. A sign said you were supposed to go to the restaurant, but when we got there, they said we needed the ice bucket - the one the front desk promised and never delivered. Also, nothing is open in that area on Sunday...This was so not worth $150 - 200 a night we all paid...Bring a breathing mask, ear plugs, your own hardhat, and workboots. Not an upscale hotel nor a hotel for conventioneers.

BTW, Detroit is not a place to visit. Even the service people questioned why we were there. The cab drivers all get lost. We liked the PeopleMover, but "Greektown" is basically one street."

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What complete fucking idiots. I can't believe that! Jesus Christ what tools!

The devastation of Detroit? Ok yeah, there are a hell of a lot of rough parts, but its not all bad. That's just maddening! What idiots! I really can't believe how crude they were. I'd be beet red right now if somebody said that about my city.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see just as many reviews stating:

"There were lots of other
events going on also that weekend in the city. I met lots of people
from out of town all of whom spoke positive things about the
turnaround that is taking place in downtown detroit. The city looked
good and the vibe was great.For a town that is always being
kicked around by the national media,I think its time to give credit
where credit is due. Great job Detroit!"

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I definitely am. People have an impression of Detroit; hotel check-ins are really the second impression people get, and it is our (Detroit's) chance to prove to those outside the area that what they have heard about Detroit in the media is NOT correct. Many of us have or do live in the city and we all know that each of us finds Detroit attractive for one reason or another. Unfortunately those in the service industries of running our hotels don't have that same passion to inform or show people the greatness of Detroit, and that really frustrates me!!!!

Now certainly most people are biased and have to be pretty pissed off to comment at all on these travel web sites. Most people with a good experience don't comment because a 'good experience' is what they expect. MY POINT: People don't come to Detroit with high expectations, we (esp. those in the service industry) need to do our best to impress and prove those less-than-par preconceptions of our city incorrect.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first comment could hardly be called a review. It is just an anti-Detroit rant from someone who obviously has a preconceived negative image of Detroit and doesn’t even bother to explain why he feels this way. His whole attitude begs the question; what’s he doing here in the first place?

The next review is pretty much a litany of complaints about problems associated with the ongoing renovation; the smell of fresh paint or new carpeting is too strong, the restaurant is closed, there’s too much dust in the air. All these things are common at a hotel undergoing renovation and most people know what to expect when booking a room at such a hotel. I don’t know why these people were paying full price. Some people seemed to be getting a discount, as this comment from another review would indicate; “Loved it!" “This was a 4 star hotel at a 2 star price.”

Actually, I prefer these reviews to the ones posted prior to the start of the renovations. In those people just complained about what a dump the place was.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 951
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul wrote, "...it never was the 'Pontchartrain Hotel.'"

Huh?!? I'm surprised nobody has called attention to your strange statement yet. It WAS originally the Pontchartrain Hotel, and with no chain name attached either.

Proof that it was the Pontchartrain: Look in any phone book from circa 1965 onwards. Look at any photo of the skyline which has the hotel in it when it had its sign. Look at any old Mobil Travel Guide or AAA TourBook. Etc. Etc.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he was trying to be sarcastic in saying that it was never the "Pontchartrain Hotel" but instead the "Hotel Pontchartrain" (which it currently is and has been for the last few years).

Burnsie

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it's better to have a bland-sounding "Sheraton Riverside" that's nicely spruced up rather than a run-down and grungy "Pontchartrain." But it's still unfortunate, because that hotel was about the only thing in Detroit that had the name Pontchartrain, part of the city's original name: Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit.

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad someone actually went to that web site. i review it daily, throw out the extremes and it's pretty accurate. i'm a hotel professional (nickname!) and meet people from all over the world. if someone brings up Detroit it's always "loved it there", "not as bad as i thought" or other positive responses. when asked why i left i tell them "...i got out of the Navy and just too lazy to move back home..." truth is the weather and potholes drive me insane. funny i left detroit/melvindale in 1979 but still call Detroit home...i just happen to live in Virginia Beach.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No actually Burnsie, this was/is the Ponchartrain Hotel:
http://www.villageofclinton.or g/site-images/site-Images/595. jpg

That was what I was getting at. The only thing that makes the current hotel the Pontchartrain is its name. That's why I could care less what it is going to be called in the future as its name was always a misnomer, was it not?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 786
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only thing that makes the current hotel the Pontchartrain is its name.

You could say the same thing about the original hotel. What about the current makes it's name a misnomer?

Burnsie

Post Number: 953
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, Eric. You could just as accurately say, "The only thing that made the older hotel the Pontchartrain was its name." There are a zillion things in the world that carry the names of older versions.

If you want a REAL Pontchartrain, the fort was it. I'd say the newer Pontchartrain hotel has even more of a valid claim to that name than the older hotel, since it stands closer to the center of the fort site.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.