Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Incinerator the Bigger Problem! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Etthealien
Username: Etthealien

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I passed by St. Aubin street the other day, and saw there was a piece of property on sale. It is a little indented site on the edge of the scrapyard and only one block away from the Detroit Incinerator. Just by curiosity, I called the real estate agent and found out that it is zoned as a residential site.

So, I was thinking what can the residential site do in order to attract people to live there? And the incinerator has been such a problem for Detroit, what can we do to solve this problem? Do you guys think that someone can actually take the opportunity of this residential site and make a difference to the surrounding area of the Incinerator?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Location Location Location

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't buy that property for a dollar.

Etthealien

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The exact address is:
5831 Saint Aubin St, Detroit, MI 48211-2642, United States

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try to take a deep breath of air in July on that lot.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plans are for the incinerator to be closed down in 2009. here's the link for detroit's future solid waste management plan outlining the closure: http://www.ecocenter.org/Detro it_solid_waste_plan.pdf

and don't worry too much about attracting people for that site, there are plans in the works for it's future: http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/marsq64.aspx

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The incinerator is getting closed down in a few years isn't it?

I still don't think anyone would buy it though, lol.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really nice area there. One completely burned down house, two more firebombed houses. All within the span of about 1/2 a block. A drive by on I-94 shows wonders about that area. No point in buying there, yet.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that link, Rsa. I've heard rumors that the incinerator will be shut down when the bonds run out in 2009, but that's the strongest evidence I've seen that it may actually happen. Still, a council task force recommendation isn't a guarantee, but it seems quite likely at this point. Great news.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cross streets would be nice.

Etthealien

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that there is no point buying the property. I guess the question is that what can happen there in order to change the area?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 824
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear down the burned out housing, kill the incinerator. That would be a start.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

already starting to happen. the only thing missing right now is time.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4323
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you guys think that someone can actually take the opportunity of this residential site and make a difference to the surrounding area of the Incinerator?

You are going to want to build a ski hill on the incinerator site. Then the residential units will really start popping.

(Message edited by Jelk on April 12, 2007)

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you make a former incinerator site buildable?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 770
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point of information: they make the stacks on industrial facilities, such as the incinerator, tall, to spread the debris and fumes higher into the air.

Opinion: Honestly I would be more concerned for those living on the far east side than those immediately next to the facility (except for the view that is).

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area doesn't need infill, as the model D article says; it needs complete development.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just looking at that map in that link makes me feel like i have asthma!
yuk!

I live in Midtown and when the winds shift east it smells like sweet putrid fish vinegar!

Shut that thing down!
Knock it all down but keep that smokestack.
i really do love the smokestack though.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in Midtown and when the winds shift east it smells like sweet putrid fish vinegar!

i live 5 blocks from it, it smells like rotten american cheese!

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Bullet...any pictures of all of the burned out house across the street from this lot? Just hang a left of St Aubin and you can take the expressway back.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, sorry this took so long to respond. I have been busy working on the crib. But I got a minute now, and after some searching I found some crappy photos of the lot for sale, and the area around it. Here ya go Etthealien:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /179/458371507_4743775c8e_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /247/458371477_c878a0a0b5_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /203/458371471_0e734b87a5_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /251/458371469_96613c88fa_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /200/458367125_fbb0bda1ce_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /226/458367117_e105bfb26e_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /239/458367105_48cf75a272_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /184/458367101_a574bfc7f4_b.jp g
Bonus Photo! Defunct Detroit Gas Stations:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /223/458367111_c024b97d31_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /252/458367099_ff68de5138_b.jp g

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A putrid, sour odor. I remember it well.

Harsensis

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through there today and it seems like there are quite a few houses in there that have recently burned. If I have the right place, the third one down
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /203/458371471_0e734b87a5_b.jp g
has burned to the ground. Was that one on St Aubin close to the x-way? There is one other house that can be seen from St Aubin that has totally collapsed in on itself too.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The structures in that whole St. Aubin area are the victim of a fire bug (for hire?).Interesting to note, the same area has been out fitted with the latest in underground infrastructure. Check the equipment on the utility pole in the third photo down, and look closely at what it is. Big plans, once the fire bug has done his work? Muhaha!

Etthealien

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so... does anyone know when for sure the incinerator is gonna come down?? I have read something about 2009, but is it for sure? and the Master plan anyone know where I can get more detail about the Master plan?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez. I wouldn't touch that with anything.

And the other amazing thing when you look at photos like that is to think that this is pretty much the entire city. Then you think how one time it was all housing, all occupied, and all the businesses were occupied too. Now just empty lots, burned out shells, and a few weirdos walkin around.

BTW, I wonder if that guy is lookin to sell the Edsel. I think I might know somebody who would be interested :-)

That is an Edsel, yes?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /223/458367111_c024b97d31_b.jp g

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure about the car Jerome.

There is a dump that surrounds the incinerator where, amongst other things, they deposit the roadkill that they find on the highways and byways nearby.

Where does that go in 2009?

Username: 1805

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea about the ski hill, Jelk. You know, the reason why Denver is booming right now is solely because of its mountainous terrain. Look at Detroit, Michigan and you’ll see that it’s flat – topographically and economically.

Indian Mounds were constructed by deliberately heaping soil, rock, and the remains of burned buildings onto natural land surfaces. Those mounds acted as mass-burial places and cultural time capsules. By stacking some of Michigan's old industrial relics (cars, waste incinerators, etc.) into mounds, Detroit could finally bury its past and ski to its future.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but no one in Denver actually lives in the mountains. Besides, if you want to experience a city with air pollution and smell... Denver is your place.

Still, how big would the ski slope be?
:-)

Username: 1805

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Denverites don't live IN the mountains. That'd be silly.

The ski slope would go as tall as we could stack our old industrial relics. I believe this would just crest the Earth's exosphere. Bring your goggles.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use the stack for the elevator, or rather, the tramelevator. Exit at the top and step out onto stunning downtown and eastside vistas. Double diamond, intermediate and gentle beginner slopes drop down gently onto the sculpted urban landscape. Luxurious condos at the base of the mountain ring the ski village and clock tower, tastefully articulated in a Tyrolean architectural style, with a cross-country trail connector to the Dequindre cut. Wild ghetto coyotes, pack dogs, foxes and pheasants frolic and procreate within the meticulously landscaped grounds....

Etthealien

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's such a great idea! how about making the incinerator pipe into an apartment building?

Harsensis

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I drove through there over the weekend, we spotted a beautiful pheasant trotting around the land that is slowly going back to nature.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to play softball next to the Darling Company rendering plant on Greenfield Road. That's got to rank (pun intended) right up there with the incinerator when it comes to stench.

I'm going to ask a couple of dumb questions. Doesn't the incinerator save on landfill space?
Doesn't it have scrubbers on it? It's got to be more modern than the one on Quinn Road by Gratiot in Clinton Township. I hardly ever hear anything about that one.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit incinerator burns some of the trash, but much of it transfers to the land fill (Auburn Hills for one). I have seen the dead dog truck and even the recycling trucks dumping there. The incinerator at Quinn and Lupkie has been closed for a while now. It was built with bonds from the Grosse Pointes and Clinton Township. But it couldn’t keep up with the Federal Regulations so it was taken off line. (Photo tomorrow-too tired now)

Harsensis

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the recycling trucks dump everything there or only the plastic? Figures, people go through all of the trouble and expense of having the recycling only to have it go to the landfill anyways. At least I don't have any aluminum going into the landfill from my recycling bin.

Etthealien

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis do u have a picture of the recently burned house? thanx lots!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do the recycling trucks dump everything there or only the plastic? Figures, people go through all of the trouble and expense of having the recycling only to have it go to the landfill anyways. At least I don't have any aluminum going into the landfill from my recycling bin.

Don't lose faith to quickly - My community has specific guidelines as to what we can and cannot recycle. They ask that paper/cardboard be separated from the other materials in the recycling bin. I do this only to watch the garbage man throw all of it in the same bin in the recycling truck. I figured it was going to the landfill too, until I saw a television show about recycling. The ferrous metals were collected with a magnetic drum, the paper was filtered out in a chemical bath, and the remaining metal and plastic was ground to a fine size. The lighter plastic was floated off and formed into small beads to be used as source material for other products. The remaining metal was reused in a similar process.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary,

Incinerators do save on landfill space. However the cost to operate the incinerator is something like 3-10 times the cost to just bring it straight to the landfill.

In addition to the cost issues, incinerating trash (or anything else for that matter) creates far more pollution than just burying it. Totally new toxic substances are created when you incinerate stuff, especially when combining the who-knows-what of garbage together. The air pollution created by the incinerator is a major public health problem. The areas downwind from the incinerator (including Canada) have asthma and other respiratory problems at a rate far higher than the national average and SE Michigan. The incinerator has some pretty good scrubbers, but scrubbers can't take out all of the stuff produced by incinerating trash.

So as you can see, any benefits from reduced landfill space are quickly offset. It will be far better for the environment and for the economics of the city to shut this thing down.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis and Bullet Magnet - Material from Recycle Detroit doesn't goto the incinerator. If you remind me, this weekend I will find out the distributor we send it to. We don't take anything but 1 & 2 plastics currently because our distributor only takes those from us currently. Eventually we hope to take 1-7 but will not until we have a market for it.

What recycling trucks have you seen go there?

We are not responsible for what Chene Ferry may have done or not done.

Nothing we take does or I wouldn't bother volunteering every weekend. I believe Capital Waste is our partner that does our physical shipping to different locations.

Etthealien

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Rsa and everyone else.
Does anyone know what is the master plan for the area? Rsa mentioned it's planned by Steven C. Flum Inc. Architects, but what are they doing at the area? http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/marsq64.aspx

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.