Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brush street mansions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anyone else here fascinated with the mansions around Brush street downtown. There used to be a web site years ago that a UofM student made documenting the area and the mansion that he bought and was renovating. I just love driving through the area.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about a specific website, but here's a cool thread that contains some amazing restoration photos to get you started

http://forum.skyscraperpage.co m/showthread.php?t=120855

Also, here are some good ones south of WSU campus...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.co m/showthread.php?p=2758637

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a guest student at WSU in the early 80's I would travel around the neighborhoods, specifically towards the Art Institute and further downtown, just to look at the homes....I remember seeing the rencen in my rear view mirror and the burn out homes...But they still captured my imagination, kind of a surreal experience... I hope they are the ones getting renewal. Could you imagine when those homes were the destination of dreams.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jerrytimes. I remember looking at that website and thinking how cool it was for that kid to take on the renovation project. In fact going to that site is how I wound up finding this site. I wonder if he ran out of cash and couldn't complete the renovation.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are talking about the second empire victorian at Brush and Watson. The website is no longer active, but the owner is nearly complete with the rehab. Last time I was inside (a year or so) there was still a lot of finish work to be completed, but if you drive by you'll see that the exterior is complete and looks great. He is doing it the old fashion way - no huge rehab loan, no banks, paying for the renovation week by week.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was in that house a year or so ago myself. He (the owner) showed me pictures of what it was like when he bought it, and its come a LONG way thanks to his hard work.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I drove through I thought it looked like he was doing a great job. I just wish I could see the inside. I remember some crazy things he had online about it. The marble fireplaces were painted over, a bathroom upstairs was used as a garbage. That house was trashed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.