Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Iron Street Lofts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am considering moving into a place in the Iron Street loft building near Belle Isle. I am wondering if any forumers live, or have lived, in this building. What are your experiences with the building and/or Boydell mgmt? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boy(dell)! that's a loaded question.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I encourage anyone who's thinking about it to move to downtown!
people complain Detroit's going downhill as they walk out the door. If this city is ever going to get back on it's feet it's the people that need to do it, not the mayor or the governor. I plan to move there as soon as i have the $.
I know this didn't answer your question, so, sorry.:P

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've known a couple people who lived in Boydell (The guys who own Nikkis) Buildings...One experienced a ceiling falling on her in her sleep (drywall had been applied over an old dilapidated wet plaster ceiling) She was unconscious for almost 24 hours...
The other party lived in the Boydell-owned building on Grand River near the Lodge. The basement was constantly flooded with raw sewage. Not in inches, but in feet.
Unless you are getting a great deal or don't mind shoddy construction and non-response to repair issues, I'd look elsewhere.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lofts above Nikki's are real thin and it's raver heaven on weekends, similar with their Brooklyn Lofts... Hope you like techno! ...although I can't really speak for Boydell itself.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 767
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several groups of my friends at Detroit Mercy lived in different units throughout the building. Certainly it is a great building for lofts with exposed brick and an open space that you can basically do whatever you want with. They didn't speak so highly of the management of the property. I guess that their skylight leaked whenever it rained and that dust would fall through from the units above. It is a really old industrial building with different additions decades ago, so don't expect it to be as pristine as a suburban house. It is in a decent neighborhood; there is a park at the end of that block on the riverfront, which presumably nows connects to the river walk.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 768
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. If they haven't repaved Iron Street, don't drive your car on it. Use Mt. Elliot instead.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of repaving Iron Street. That street needs to be turned into a one way. When parking fills up along the street, it's a pain trying to get down it.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out with a gal that had lived in some loft on Iron Street down by the river. She was okay with it for a while but said it got kind of scary.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Tis a good idea to make the streets around there one way. The block basically ends one block off of Jefferson so it isn't as though you would have to go four blocks down to come back. Plus there isn't really any connection parallel to the river, so it is basically U-shaped. Seems like it would be pretty easy to head toward the water on Mt. Elliot and back towards Jefferson on Iron St. I think that Iron street gets pretty crowded with cars, because basically the lot for the Iron Street Lofts can't hold many more cars than there are tenants. Also too, those units are huge. Several of my friends (I think 5 at certain given times) lived in I think it was number 101 (the one that faces the interior parking lot with the ground floor door directly to outside) which was two floors.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard funky things too. It just seems like maybe the owner is over his/her head. A larger company should buy these buildings with the resources to rebuild/restore them correctly.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 805
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it certainly is a large and very old structure which obviously doesn't make it easy to maintain. It has had several additions decades ago. Fortunately though I guess, the owner/manager lives on the property I believe. That makes for easier accountability in theory and it can't fall to a level of deterioration that isn't livable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.