Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hockeytown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of tickets remain for the Wings' playoffs. I just purchased my own to game 1.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070410/SPORT S0103/704100360

Between the high prices, poor economy, and interest in other teams, the Wings are having a hard time drawing. A bunch of season tickets didn't get playoff tickets. At least that will put enthusiatic people who will show up in the seats.

(Message edited by mackinaw on April 10, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shocked when I found some. Very glad, but shocked.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers are back.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't afford to go to the games, but I want to come down and watch them. Is Hockeytown Cafe the best bar to watch the Wings? I've been there a couple of times, and it's always a blast.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is clearly a good place to watch. There are plenty of other lively bars in the city which would do the trick...several in Greektown, and then there's the likes of Coach's Corner.

Hockey was an obsession and recieved all the energy of the region's sports fans 1994-1999. Then there was a transitionary period, and now it is second fiddle. The high prices and boring arena contribute to the loss of the those who aren't hockey purists, and, of course, plenty of hockey purists aren't rich enough to go. Additionally, the Red Wings are a phenomenon across Michigan, but with high prices and a boring arena, people who live in exurbia and beyond are less likely to come down.

My incentive for going to my first Wings game in 3 years in their style of play. They are freaking exciting this year, the opposite of the past 2-4 years. The energy is great and we should have some great playoff series; the sort of fast-paced, electric action which I was used to watching other teams/cities enjoy while I watched on tv is now here...so let's get downtown and cheer on the Wings.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe if they put a ferris wheel and carousel at the "boring" arena more people would go? You mention boring arena twice....what, short of tearing it down, would make it less boring? For chrissakes, we're talking "original six" here. do we really have to cheeze it up?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to do anything for me, but as this is clearly not a hockey town, a comparatively crappy venue does not provide incentive for people who are "interested" but not "purists" of hockey to go pay 60-200 dollars to see a game. Boring wasn't the right word; I don't want carnival attractions like CoPa has, but we all know that a new arena is warranted. We have one of the oldest, blandest buildings and we have an owner who has raked in the cash for nearly 15 years now with all these winning teams and sellouts. It's time to reward the fans, players, and city. I added city because a move to the parking lot district between Woodward and Grand River, which will also clear up the riverfront for more constructive uses and a larger Cobo, will help the city a bunch.

Scs100

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Gordy Howe got his statue today. Maybe the arena is exciting enough now!

... Not likely.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that excerpt explains it all. I'm SURE it is the high prices and the extremely iffy economy that are causing these seats to be available far more than the Tigers or Pistons.

When upper level seats are in what, the $60 range, and lower are in the $100's, for the first two rounds, that is WAY too much money. Add to it people who are concerned their job might be gone tomorrow and I can certainly understand why there are open seats.

The DRW organization could get away with this in the past. But because of the job situation (and a couple first round exits not helping either), people just aren't gonna shell out for this stuff. Add to it that I bet each upper bowl $60+ ticket has at least $5-$10 additional "convenience" fees attached to it makes it even worse.

It is the economy more than the product, the venue, or the competition.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people blew their wad on Tigers playoff tickets last fall, entertainment-spending-wise. Pistons games haven't been full either (despite being official sellouts), although they're doing better than the Wings.

A paper article awhile back quoted a Pistons season-ticket holder saying something like "Yeah, I have season tickets...but it will still cost me $10 to park and at least $40-50 on food if I bring my family" and that assumes you're not drinking beer. If times are tough, that's a lot of dough to be shelling out.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"but as this is clearly not a hockey town"

Umm...
There have been 400+ consecutive sellouts at outrageous prices.
Red Wings fans have the largest following on the road.
The Red Wings are one of only a few teams with the type of news coverage, and higher ratings than most teams.
The Red Wings are near the very top in merchandise sales.
3 million people or so have attended the 3 championship parades...Tampa had 20,000 ppl show up at their parade

and on and on and on.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In terms of American cities where hockey is played, we could be tops. But we are seeing that baseball comes first here, if the Lions were good football would come in ahead, and the Pistons also get plenty of attention. This is a hockeytown, but not like it used to be.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

says you, baseball is so very boring compared to Hockey. I loves me some Red Wing Hockey

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball is only boring for those with short attention spans -- those who need action, action, action every second. Hockey is more of a sport for people with ADHD. Baseball is fascinating for those who understand the nuances of the game.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pssssshh, nuances, ha! pitch ball, spit, scratch balls, make another pitch. Swing bat, step out of box, tap shoes with bat, scratch balls, spit, step back in box, swing at pitch....great big YAWN

Scs100

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, Basketball has action, I like action, I HATE Basketball, like Baseball, and love Hockey. Something wrong here?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, its just a matter of personal taste in sports.

Scs100

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. Just wanted to see if anyone would buy it. :-)

Scs100

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, what seats are you in? I might run into you there.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most hockey fans really like Joe Louis because it is a hockey first building and all of the suites are up above the stands, so the regular seats are close to the ice. I don't mind the Joe, its nothing fancy but a decent hockey building. The problem with the Joe is how isolated from Downtown it is.

There are two very simple reasons playoff tickets aren't selling. It's not the building

1. The Wings are victims of their own success. 1st round playoff games are not a big deal any more, no more that a good regular season game with Nashville or Colorado.

2. Yet, ticket prices are $60-200 for 1st round games! This is ridiculous. 1st round games for the Pistons don't cost that much. I think Mr. Ilitch will get the hint. 1st round games shouldn't go for much more than regular season games.

Detroit is still hockeytown. Great press, great fan support (but they are being tested with the high ticket prices), and lots of hockey other than the Wings. The area has 2 college hockey teams (Michigan and Wayne State), and the Detroit area supplies lots of college hockey teams with players, at least 1/3 of MSU National Championship winning (I love saying that) hockey team is from metro Detroit. Plus Detroit hosts the CCHA tournament and the GLI and a Frozen Four to come in 2010.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its obvious that Detroit is a good sports town period. Whenever one of the teams is doing extremely well of course the focus is on them, and the fans and media hype it up. Detroit is really a good Sports Town I feel.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must agree with Schulzte, the Wings are victims of their own success. What is it now 16 straight years that they have made it to the playoffs? The Wings have certainly spoiled their fans.

I think the other problem is that even though the Wings finished second in the league in points, no one is predicting them to go all the way. If the Wings get past Calgary, interest in the Wings will pick up.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also agree. It's the Atlanta Braves syndrome. The last year they were in the playoffs two seasons ago, they did not sell out their games. But look what happened the next season: they missed the playoffs. We don't want to kill our team, do we?!

I will agree that the simplicity of JLA is nice for people who are there just for the game. The seats are close...it does the job, like Crisler at UM.

Scs, I'm in 227a 23rd row. Up in the corner.

Scs100

Post Number: 796
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I'm in 226b, Row 25. I'll probably see you there.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go wings!

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wings are going to loose to Calgary in 6 games.

Scs100

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, no. IF they lose, it will be in 7.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread-Jack:
Where is a good place to watch the Wings game in Chicago on Sunday? Gonna be in town. I know Duffys on Diversey near the lake is a big "michigan" bar, but the couple times I've been there they never have any sort of drink specials and I don't think they serve pitchers either (just plastic cups of crappy beer that costs $9). It is fun to have so many fans, but the venue isn't great.

If anyone has a good other place to watch the Wings, please post it here.

End Thread-Jack....

I actually really like the Joe. It fits. It is Detroit to the core. You come to the Joe because you love hockey and you love the wings. It isn't the cool place to be seen, you don't go to drink martini's with your friends. You go, enjoy the great, and large, crowds, the close action, and the history of the otherwise unremarkable building. It is PERFECT for the Wings fan, the city of Detroit, and everything they're about (blue collar, gets the job done, nothing fancy). I don't think the Joe is the problem. Not at all. Never was in the past. A great team always outweighs even a hole-in-the wall venue.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 705
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First.. do we still have a sports forum?

Second.. the Tigers do have something to do with the tickets not selling, but The Wings have been disappointing in the playoffs over the past couple of years. Plus playing Calgary, they're evenly matched. Hell, Calgary might even take Game 1. We shall see... but they'll sell out in time.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They lost to the oilers in 6 last year. Western Canada teams aways give us a problem and we can never seem to get wins on their home ice.

Game 1 Flames Win
Game 2 Wings Win
Game 3 Flames
Game 4 Flames
Game 5 Wings
Game 6 Flames

Babcock better start looking 4 a new job.

Scs100

Post Number: 812
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2002:

Vancouver vs. Detroit (Round 1)

Game 1 Vancouver
Game 2 Vancouver
Game 3 Detroit
Game 4 Detroit
Game 5 Detroit
Game 6 Detroit

Last time I checked, Vancouver was in Western Canada

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather stay home and watch the game in my pjs. No line for the bathroom, comfy seat and free parking! My concessions may not be as varied but they are much cheaper!

I know this is a broken record here, but the JLA is a dump. With the Lodge closed and the prices you pay ($$$) when downtown for anything...it's too much of a hassle.

I don't have the type of funds it takes to buy a ticket, pay for parking, the concessions then add gas for the car into the mix...no thanks!

/gripes from F.H.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are, and since then we have struggled against them as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.