Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kilpatrick/Imus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04 102007/news/nationalnews/imus_ gets_the_old_heave_ho_national news_john_mazor_and_david_k__l i.htm

quote:

Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick (D-Mich.), chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, questioned whether Imus fully understood how he hurt black women. That's when Imus lost it.

"I do understand that. How do you assume that I don't understand that? Of course I understand that! It's like the old country song, 'God may forgive you, but I won't. Jesus loves you but I don't.' So I can't get any place with you people, but I can get some place with Jesus," ranted Imus, whose show regularly attracts political and media elite as guests.

The "you people" comment, a racial touchstone made infamous by Ross Perot in a 1992 address, ignited a heated exchange.

"Who is 'you people,' Mr. Imus?" asked Sharpton, who wants Imus fired from his morning show.

NBC News Senior Vice President Phil Griffin, who oversees MSNBC, sat behind Imus in the studio throughout the Sharpton interview, but couldn't stop the I-Man from imploding.

"You and this woman I'm talking to," Imus responded to Sharpton. "Don't try to hang that on me. That's jive."

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the out cry over music videos that call women bitches and ho's? Seems to me that SOME women and most of society today are ok with those terms. I guess cause a white man said it, its wrong and unacceptable. Total and utter bullshit, ya cant have it both ways.

OT, but related, any one watch Survivor? What about the African American making fun of a White guys dancing? *He dances like a white boy*

If a white man had made a similar comment about the black man, oh what an uproar there would have been.

As I stated earlier, total and utter bullshit.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imus is an idiot. He was an idiot long before those comments. In general I agree with Miss Cleo. Is it o.k. when a rapper uses the term "ho"? You don't hear too much uproar over that. Black women have it double bad being women and being black. It seems time we get up in arms whenever someone, no matter what race, used those words.

p.s.,
Still, Imus is a fucking idiot.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Cleo.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 752
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree Jiscodazz.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's ok for Imus to make those comments?

Two wrongs make a right?

Are you saying we can do it because they do it?

Are'nt you just on a slippery slope?

Please explain your rational in more detail.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 911
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Matt, I think they were saying where's the outcry about the state of bitches and hoes, I mean hip hop music today? What happened to the backpackers and the lyricists? Today, all we have is people swiping credit cards down strippers butt cracks and talking about the rocks in their watches (which 50% of the time, they brag about financing by moving OTHER kinds of rocks).

So far, the outrage focused on Imus ignores the fact that popular culture has been objectifying women in the same way for years. "Ho" is not a racial term. Nappy, not necessarily, but probably in this case.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of media personalities make inappropriate comments. It seems like the only time there is an uproar is when Al Sharpton notices the comments.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where is the out cry over music videos that call women bitches and ho's? Seems to me that SOME women and most of society today are ok with those terms. I guess cause a white man said it, its wrong and unacceptable. Total and utter bullshit, ya cant have it both ways."

Yeah, but no. The difference is that rapper's (a set of which lily white Eminem happens to be part of) are primarily supported by record sales, whereas Imus is supported by sponsorship from products that are sold to the people he offended. You don't like what rappers are saying then don't buy it. You don't like what Imus is saying, then don't by the products of those who support him. He may not respect the color of my skin but he's sure as hell gonna respect the color of my dollar.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact is Focusonthed, he singled it out to the African American women though, which is really a stereotype that shouldn't be tolerated. WE all know it's not a certain race thing, but tell him and the other folks on here that.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Furthermore, I can't believe that 'you people' in that context could be grounds for suspension.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 602
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lots of media personalities make inappropriate comments. It seems like the only time there is an uproar is when Al Sharpton notices the comments."

Not really. The Miss Jones got a similar punishment for her antics making fun of the people affected by the south Pacific tsunami a couple years ago. She and crew are black.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the what you are saying - just seeing a little bit of a slippery slope in some of the responses here.

A little too much emphasis on the "us vs. them" angle.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking these issues can be debated without that dynamic becoming counterproductive, and a way to vent ones frustration.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again!! are "You P*****" Willfully oblivious, Pleasantly Ignorant or just PLAIN STUPID!!!!

I watch all media including FOX, and listen to all forms of radio including Al Sharpton. The flaw in your arguments is that you hear what you want to hear. Blacks have been vocal against Rap Music and the artists who perform it. Al Sharpton and other black groups when't after and got fired a black DJ who crossed the line. But you don't wan't to hear that, you don't care to hear it. You only hear when he is speaking out to whites. You Applaud Blacks Criticizing Blacks but fail to criticize your own. Why; Because people like you don't think you or your kids do any wrong.

When this mess started I knew from the beginning "You P*****" were going to blame RAP MUSIC. You think that Rap is the problem with everything in the united state. You blame Rap for your Drugged out kids, when we all know it's the drugs you gave them or they stole from you that got them hooked. That s**t starts in your home, with you!! So, following your lead, I will offer this little point to you. If rap is the problem, don't you think that you're mad at the wrong people. Why aren't you going after WALL STREET. The true CRIMINALS in this debate always seen to get left out of your arguments. OLD WHITE MEN push this s**t and YOUNG WHITE BOY'S buy it. Without them there is no Rap industry. Multinational Corporations Have a Majority Stake in all Of the Label's, and Control 100% of Distribution, So let's be honest and truthful when you spew this acid on blacks in an attempt to deflect blame onto US for a RUSH or an IMUS. In your world, you should be mad at SONY, FOX, UNIVERSAL, VIACOM, TIME-WARNER, EMI and a host of INVESTMENT FIRMS/HEDGE FUNDS. Stop blaming Blacks for what this man said. Blame him and leave it at that. What he did made me sick, but what "YOU P*****" are doing just makes me sad, FOR YOU.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imus can say whatever he wants. Should the government or Al Sharpton be able to affect what happens to him? Absolutely not. Free speech.

I believe he's an idiot for what he said. But it's solely up to his employer to determine what happens next.

Also, they're just words, people. They did not ruin your life.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to advance the dialogue LVN by calling everyone P--- and stupid.
The rap culture isn't exactly condemned by the black community as you try to portray.

On a separate note, I don't think the rap debate and the Imus thing should be too mixed as they each deserve their own lengthy and thoughtful discussion. Imus' comments overall are relatively idiotic and he's clearly on the defensive. The 'you people' could or could not be something offensive, he could've easily said 'you guys' in referring to Cheeks and Sharpton -but I do agree that its not the best word choice as he's trying to make amends and knowing his every word will be hyper analyzed for true repentance.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AMEN Lynthed...

The difference is Imus called a group of educated black women ho's. Rappers are calling hoes hoes and not every women in america is a ho. I don't recall any rapper specifically regarding thier lyrics to depict black women as as a ho. Who's to say that rappers are talking about Black women?

This would have caused outrage if anyone would have made this comment, including other black personalities.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh please! Until younger people, rappers and the like stop using the words in songs, greeting eachother with them and using them as insults, I will not give a flying flip about what person *in the spotlight* uses them.

The argument above is bogus, half naked black women dancing around in the videos arent the ones being called bitches and ho's? Thats a stretch.

Why is it ok to call ANY women a bitch or a ho? You tell me, cause its done every single day, in music, movies tv and casual conversation......til that stops, how do we punish one person from saying and while ignoring the others?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is non stop talk about language in rap music! Don't be ridiculous. Didn't you all have the same talk last year when Oprah wouldn't have Ludacris on her show? Or PDiddy or any of those guys?

Besides, it really is a separate matter. Even if every rapper called every black woman a ho, is it okay for stupid cracker Don Iumus to do it on his show?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, it really is a separate matter. Even if every rapper called every black woman a ho, is it okay for stupid cracker Don Iumus to do it on his show?

Basically, yes. How can it be ok for some and not for others? Its become ingrained with the younger generation, BECAUSE of music

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why defend this guy? According to an interview with Mike Wallace of 60 minutes Imus admitted to hiring some of his staff because "They were good at making N***** jokes", WTF! Its about time his actions are catching up to him, anyways why defend someone who is promoting this form of socially acceptable racism! He knows what he meant. Imus is a piece of trash end of story! For the record Im white and this behavior offends me and holds back progress in this country.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again Cleo,

You see and hear what you wan't to!!

Rappers have nothing to do with an old racist man that I use to be a fan of.

That's like me saying I feel most White People are CRACKHEADS because That is what I am use to seeing. Where I Grew up, That is the norm 90% of the customers are white.

But that shouldn't have a bearing on my feelings about you.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Imus is hardly of the younger generation. He is a misogynist racist, this is not new or news. He's finally gone too far is all.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no one has addressed why its ok for some to throw around the words and not others? Its not ok for any one to call any women those words, yet in some forms it is tolerated.

I am not defending the man, but you cant have it both ways, if its ok for some, its ok for all

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real amusement about the Imus affair is witnessing bigoted black liberal racists bitching about another liberal racist.

And nobody outside of those who make this noise a major part of their BUSINESS really cares...

Lvnthed

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo,

Al Sharpton addresses this topic of Rappers on a regular basis. The problem is, no one wants to cover him until he's going after whites. Listen and you will see. Take the ear plugs out and start listening. There are many black people saying the same thing every day if you choose to listen. Bill Cosby is not the vessel of all things black.

But if you read my previous, you would know that the problem is not the rappers.

Who makes this garbage and who is buying it is the answer to getting rid of it.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those words, tossed around so freely now, were not 10 or so years ago......why do you think that is? Maybe, just maybe its because of the music. Maybe its because they are heard on a daily basis now, movies, music, tv.

Still no one is addressing why its ok for some and not for others?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kills me (In a funny way) is when Rappers win like a grammy for a song that talks about beating the bitches and hoes and the first thing they say is "thank you Jesus"! LOL But thats cool? LOL WAY DOUBLE STANDARD!
Imus should have just said the girls on that team looked a little rough! (which they do!)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exmotowner gets it!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5204
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo, this is a confluence jam for Don Imus.

In one stroke, Imus and producer Bernard Mc Gurk, dissed:

1. The State of New Jersey.
2. Rutgers, the State University.
3. Women's basketball.
4. The profession of prostitution.
5. Black people.
6. Women.
7. The NCAA.
8. Basketball Champs.
9. Youthful athletes.
10. MSNBC, CBS.

This was done on Natl. radio and tv, a show where politicians come to be heard and seen, a place where major leaders of all stripes come to be heard and seen. Cal Ripkin cancelled already. He'll peddle his book elsewhere.

See it as a confluence thing. See it as a perfect storm.

jjaba.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3919
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Jjaba, but 'those rappers' say it all the time, so why are people being so unfair to Imus?

*pukin at the thought of me even typing that*

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He dissed women first and foremost, why is it 6 on your list?

I personally dont care about any of this, freedom of speech and all. I stand by what I said, if its ok for one to say it( and hey, those rappers profit from dissing women) its ok for all....til people get that through their heads, nothing will change

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People need to be less sensitive to these things. On any given day on network television you can hear horribly offensive jokes directed at jewish people, asian people, white people, etc. etc. We should take these things for what they are and not blow them into bigger deals than they need to be. Al Sharpton took a comment nobody would've ever even noticed or heard about and made it a national news story. The more comfortable we feel with ourselves and our relations with different people the less some idiot going off and saying something stupid like this will become a major issue.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He dissed women first and foremost, why is it 6 on your list?"

But it only took NOW 6 days to speak up...

Lvnthed

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But EXMO, he didn't just call the rough, and you blamed someone other than him for what HE said.

You guys still refuse to listen to what I've been saying.

I don't, Nor do many blacks condone this kind of behavior. But you fixate on one thing that fits your argument and totally disregard any and all rebuttal arguments.

If you would stop trying to force your opinion and listen, you will find that we agree more often than not. Even on such a sensitive subject as this.

FYI: I Hate Rap Music

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate rap music too, but someone must be buying it and listening to it.....must be all the other people you dont know. Because I and many white people I know, dont condone this kind of behavior either.......but it really makes no difference does it?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Imus acting like an idiot when he said those things? Absolutely. Is criticism of his actions justified? Absolutely.

It's just that I find it interesting that a man who has done so much for inner city children is being villified the way that he is. Can all the people on this thread calling him names say they've done as much - or anything - for inner city children? It's all getting just a little bit hypocritical and self-righteous to me.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rap music"?
Can you say "oxymoron"?

"R&B" no longer stands for "rhythm and blues."
Now it just means "rap and bullshit."

As for Imus and Reverend Al, man, they're both full of hot air.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"'R&B' no longer stands for 'rhythm and blues.'
Now it just means 'rap and bullshit.' "

Rap is not R&B. :-\

Lvnthed

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo,

You've got to be kidding!!!!

You don't know who is buying this music.

YOUNG WHITE PEOPLE 80%

Exmotowner

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lvnthed, I went back and re-read my post. I didnt "Blame" anyone! I dont think what he said was proper. But NOBODY and I mean NOBODY either black white or whatever can say ANYTHING now a days! Its just crazy! Its getting so now a days it WAY better just to keep your friggin mouth shut! Even if you dont say something you get "BLAMED" for saying something that you didnt say! I did not blame anyone! I was just saying there is a huge double standard. and there is! No matter what you say, somewhere in the world, someone is going to take offense!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take offense to that. :-)

Username: 3420

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just talking to my girlfriend about this. We talk about alot of issues like this daily so her and I can understand not only just us, but to discuss what is right and wrong with our generation as well past and future.

I'm 24 and I highly dislike the music industry(especially today's rap, hip hop, r&b, and other likes). She says I'm old fashioned because I listen to Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson, Motown, and music from the 50's, 60'sand 70's often. And now she clearly understands my position about respect and discipline. I tell her I hear a message every time I'm listening too "Whats Happening Brother or Save the Children" by Marvin Gaye. I just don't get that feel with today's artist and haven't bought a rap, hip hop, or r&b album since 95. Thats when I woke up and saw the disrespect among women, men, and children.

The problem with this generation and todays personalities is that no one really cares. Honestly, I feel for Imus because he made a big mistake. But rappers, men, women, boys and girls should also be held accountable for this same language. But I listen to Rev. Al Sharpton as I am doing right now and he has been very good on talking about racism and language used by everyone.

The bible warns us and says:

Matthew 15:11: "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

Matthew 15:17-20: "Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man."

We all have too be careful about our language in private and in public. I get mad sometimes when I see people just act ignorant in public or even at an event. I have heard women call each other bi@#$# and h%'@ as a greeting. Imus just got called out because he is public. Black, white, latino, asian, etc. Foul language about anything should not be tolerated. Now my girlfriend sees what we talk about often and see why I want to raise respectable children in an ever changing world.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Even if every rapper called every black woman a ho, is it okay for "STUPID CRACKER" Don Iumus to do it on his show?"

Thats ok? That stupid cracker remark hs me upset now! IM OFFENDED! ROFLAO

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you listen to Michael Franti or the Coup, 3420? Plenty of excellent content.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Llyn,

After the 5th, 6th, 7th time, it starts to crossover from satire and humor, to bigotry.

By your thought process, You agree with the Catholic Church covering up crimes by priests, because they helped sick children.

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette I'm not familiar with Michael Franti or the Coup. What time do they come on?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are both rap/urban/r&b artists who have well written social commentary and great music. They both have MySpace pages with downloads to listen to.

If you don't mind taking a musical suggestion from a 50year old white woman!

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestion and I don't mind at all. I will check them out on myspace this evening.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Common, The Roots, Mos Def, and a plethora of outher artists as well are socially conscious rappers who I have the highest regard for.

Just becuase you hear the garbage that pollutes the airwaves, please dont get that confused with true hip hop. What we are bombarded with on a daily basis is corporate garbage...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Common, The Roots, Mos Def, and a plethora of outher artists as well are socially conscious rappers who I have the highest regard for. "

I wouldn't expect most of these people on here to have ever heard of any of those rappers. Thus, it is a waste of energy to even entertain this discussion...

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mos Def! He's so groovy and a very good actor.

Another great urban artist (who is coming to Detroit very soon) is Manu Chou. (he's afro/european so he has an interesting danceable take on rap and funk)And I have to freaking work that night.

Back on topic. Can what Imus said stand on it's own without bringing anybody else into it? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right Oldredfordette. he is in a positon in the public and NO WAY should he have said what he did. When you put your self in the public eye. You have to walk that fine line and sometimes it means not saying what you feel to be the truth. Ask Jimmy The Greek! He said what he felt to be the truth and it cost him his job!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I smell sarcasm...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO according to exmo's logic, the Rutger's Women's Bball team really ARE a bunch of tough lookin' nappy headed ho's then eh?

Lvnthed

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

It is only a waste of time if we don't put this out there for people to hear. They need to know that Foul Rap in NOT the only form of rap out there. We have a responsibility to Educate the Ignorant.

Oldredfordette,

You sound like my kind-a Gal!!!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OLD WHITE MEN push this s**t and YOUNG WHITE BOY'S buy it

-----------------

Liventhd, last time I saw PDddy , he looked fairly young to me and really, he didnt look all that white either. Don't stereotype what you dont know please.......thanks, Jane

Iheartthed

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Liventhd, last time I saw PDddy , he looked fairly young to me and really, he didnt look all that white either. Don't stereotype what you dont know please.......thanks, Jane"

:-\ Does he even still own Bad Boy? Who owns all the REST?!?!

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was it you spelled Al Sharpton -- T-A-W-A-N-A B-R-A-W-L-E-Y? I thought so!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tanks, Lvnthed!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 608
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We have a responsibility to Educate the Ignorant. "

There is a difference between educating and speaking into deaf ears. Continuing this would be a case of the ladder.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or even the latter.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or even the latter."

Thanks LYette...

Exmotowner

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin
Whatever buddy. I never said that, but you can say whatever you want. I said "You have to walk that fine line and sometimes it means not saying what you feel to be the truth."
Dont put words in my mouth bud.

I said they looked rough, and sorry, but they do!
Stylin, Im not defending the guy, but yes I SAID THAT TEAM LOOKS LIKE A ROUGH BUNCH OF GIRLS AND IN MY OPINOIN THEY DO. FIRE ME!

We will NEVER agree stylin.

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>OLD WHITE MEN push this s**t and YOUNG WHITE BOY'S buy it <<

You can point out the Diddy, Ludacris, and Lil Jons of the world, but the fact of the matter is there are many more record execs than there are rappers on the radio. You have a very small number of people generating tons of garbage music that is bankrolled by majority white record execs. That remains a fact all day long. A rapper with a positive message has a better chance of getting struck by lighting than landing a record deal in today's music industry. Look no further than who is controlling the dollars.

To blame rap music for Imus' remarks holds no water as I'm sure he's far beyond your typical rap listener demographic. Rappers rhyme and make ridiculous generalizations. Don Imus singled out a specific group of college students THAT HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW. He was pandering to what he knew to be his audience, got too comfortable, and spoke what was in his heart and that which he thought they would find amusing. Well it wasn't and this is why he's in trouble. Are some of you on this board really so thick that you can't see or understand that??

I've read many of the comments on this thread and quite frankly I have quite a headache from the amount of absurdity and bullshit being tossed around. Way to blame the victim for some stupid crap that this man has said. Have you all forgotten that this man is good and grown and those girls are college KIDS!! How old is he?? What the hell did they ever do to him? Don Imus has a microphone and national talk show. What voice do those girls have? But you wanna get a knot in your panties when Rev. Al shows up with a microphone to speak up for them. If not him, then who? Not you obviously.

And to answer a question, no it is not okay for anyone to call anyone a ho. Period. If you wanna whine and moan because you feel as though you can't say what you want to say without getting in trouble then I say if you can't carry yourself as a decent human being and honor common courtesy by keeping your little nasty bigoted comments to yourself (OR AT LEAST WITHIN THE CONFINES OF YOUR PRIVATE HOMES) then you don't deserve free speech.

Damn. Can't we agree on some common sense principles as a society without requiring a Constitutional Amendment to define?

(Message edited by soulsauce on April 10, 2007)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3923
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No cause too many of us want to excuse peoples actions towards another people simply becuase they do it to themselves...

The typical white "But THEY do it!!!!" mentality...

Lvnthed

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JanesBack,

You should read before you speak.

Puffy is an "Employee" just like all of the rest.

None of these Rappers have a Majority Stake in their own Record Labels
All of this Crap is Produced by RICH WHITE MEN and their SHAREHOLDERS.

They are the ONLY people who can GREEN-LITE a project. Without the board's approval, nothing get's made; PERIOD

If you don't BELIEVE me, Look up these Multinational Corporations with revenue in the Billions. You will find that I AM RIGHT!!!

The average artist is a slave to the trend. If you're new to the Game you have to fall in line, or get shown the door. If Social Commentary was profitable it would dominate the airwaves, but it DOES NOT.
The bottom line is; If Bitches and Ho's sell millions in the US, then that's what they (CORPORATE AMERICA)make, and I bet they have your blessing!!

VIVENDI
BMG
EMI
WARNER MUSIC
UNIVERSAL MUSIC

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 912
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I posted earlier regarding rap music, I want to make very clear that in no way do I support Imus on the basis of "well if rappers can do it, why can't he?" I never said that, and resent the implication.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3924
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats wasnt for anyone specifically, just for those that tend to argue about hip hop language whenever some public figure shows his ass....

Lvnthed

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulsauce,

My Feelings Exactly

100% agree with you!!!!!

Point Made; I'm Done

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Change the channel if it offends. I have to do it all the time.

I used to watch his show in the morning and it went from entertaining to downright redundant and stupid. He said himself "Nobody takes this show seriously" He supposedly has a doctorate from somewhere, so much for degrees.

People are way too uptight. They've taken this "politically correct" argument to the ridiculous level. Just change the channel, no ratings, no advertisers, no creeps.

It's really setting a dangerous precedent when we live in a society where some subjects are too sensitive to discuss. And words too taboo to utter.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't we all just agree that Don Imus sucks ass?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The list at jjaba 5204 is NOT meant in any kind of order. It is the confluence of the issues joined together that makes the story so big.
jjaba creates no priority about which issue rates higher.

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson et. al. are also in the media trying to win the hearts and minds of people who think highly of them. As we say on the Westside, "they be pimping for somebody too."
Both of them have been nominated for President of USA, and were not elected.

In times of crises, it is too transparently nonsense to ever say "some of my best friends are..." If America turns off the show, if America stops buying his chips and salsa, if America stops giving to his pet charities, they'll be a lesson here. Follow the money.

jjaba, Westside.

Llyn

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Llyn,
After the 5th, 6th, 7th time, it starts to crossover from satire and humor, to bigotry.
By your thought process, You agree with the Catholic Church covering up crimes by priests, because they helped sick children.

Good point lvnthed.

I wasn't excusing anyone, though. I just think some people would rather call each other names than be constructive, and I suspect many of those doing so on both sides are talkers about social justice rather than doers.

Look, people have a right to be angry when insulted. I get that. But what are you expecting? Constantly shouting at other people really says to me that you don't care about the people (or kind of people) on the receiving end... and you won't accomplish much that way.

No particular criticism of any individual, but I'm just sayin'...

Whatever his faults, and this is NOT an excuse of his recent comment, at least Don Imus is doing something. And that gets more respect from me than a lot of this self-righteous condemnation and blame game from both sides of this discussion.

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the issue hear is that Don Imus (whos show I watch on a regular basis and DON"T believe suffers from racism) called these women hoes. I think the issue is that he called them NAPPY hoes. It doesn't become racial until he says NAPPY. I don't think anyone has mention that.

Now for the record, no one should be allowed to call a woman a bitch or a hoe, and like it was said earlier, Al Sharpton(whos show I listen to regularly) does address this issue frequently. It doesn't become NEWS until Don Imus does it.

I don't think it would have been the uproar if he had just called them hoes, he says that all the time(even about his wife) but when he through in "nappy" is when the problem ocurred

(Message edited by new2theeastside on April 10, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5206
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cal Ripkin has cancelled Imus on his book promotion tour.
Staples and Borders Books are off the Imus Show.

Follow the money. Without the money, Imus is off the air. This could get nasty in a New York minute. And that's damn quickly.

jjaba, chatting it up on the Dexter bus.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting watching how the liberals devour one of their own kind...

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Interesting observation, LY.

I've always had a lot of respect for Jackson and Sharpton, but over time it seems as though in many situations, they fuel the flame rather than mend wounds. In my opinion (which I welcome criticism to) it seems as though they are blindsighted to the disaster that is urban black America. Rather, in cases like this, they are like hunting dogs, on point with careful watch over what white person is going to offend the black race. Nevermind that decades of poor, uneducated, deliberately disadvantaged, highly vulnerable, highly influential inner city blacks are incubated into a society of having next to nothing, yet are told that, "The Civil Rights Movement was years ago and the wounds have healed. You have just as much opportunity as everyone else. No need for affirmative action!" I say, B/S!

I don't mean to open Pandora's Box (which I probably have) but this whole thing with accusing people of the language they use is EVERYONE'S problem. Not just the whites who either slip up and appologize like Imus or deliberately spew like Michael Richards or Mel Gibson. And not just the everyday heavily racist and derogatory language used by blacks either on the street or in glamorous music videos.

It can't keep being swept under the rug, and the more regular news stories of this offers evidence to that. All races have a responsibility and should be held accountable to one another. But how does a black activist respectfully insist that a white suspect end his career and welfare and insist that he is not sorry? And how does a white person respectfully insist that a black person stop using the word nigger?

Overall, I think we've become too loaded with this mess and even though it is easy for a lot of well educated folks to identify this as more of a class issue, I think those less educated and therefore forced into lower classes are much more prone to recognize this as racism.

I appreciate the honesty of those directly involved with the Imus controversy, but where is the justice in every day life when the curtain closes on this "entertainment"? There is a inequality that may be acknowledged with honesty, but is not being addressed as such. We're all always on the lookout for someone to blame.

Miss Cleo, I have to say I agree with a lot of your point of view as well. Although, I am well aware, like others have mentioned, that whites too heavily support the "ghetto trash talk" that originates from rap music, by voting with their monetary spendings.

In fact, I recall not too long ago when that young juvee from Macomb County was on the run and he bragged about it on his myspace page about how the cops couldn't catch him. A quick read-though of postings from his friends was quite shocking to see their race matched with the words they were typing. The times are changing, and apparently so is what is an acceptable social norm or social status quo. The Brady Bunch (or Cosby) ethic (for any race) may not be entirely gone, but any person with awareness of American society today, will notice the shifting patterns.

(Message edited by Rocket City on April 11, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe how big a deal has been made of this. Meetings with Sharpton. Meetings with the basketball team. National news coverage. Give me a break.

People have every right to say what they want. I don't have to agree with it, I wouldn't say such things myself, but Imus can say what he wants. Everyone else should just get over it.

If the whole world acts the same way this case has gone every time somebody says something offensive, we'd be apologizing to everyone all the time.

This is NOT a big deal. Best bet would have been to say you don't like what he said, and then get on with your life.

Its just a publicity stunt. This should have been nothing more than a quip on the 15th page of the town newspaper.

Detroitsfirstson
Username: Detroitsfirstson

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81

And I mean no offense by this, but you have to be a White man. If you were Black, you would HAVE to understand how demorilizing it is for a Black woman to be said to have nappy hair(especially by a white man), the fact that he added insult to injury by calling them a ho is just overkill.

Everyone else

And for those of you BLASTING Al Sharpton, you should BLAST the Free Press, and CNN, and MSNBC because the only reason YOU are hearing about it is because THEY are talking about it. As for Sharpton, he address this topic REGULARLY, and frequently blasts guests(BLACK guests) the same way he did Imus. So either listen to his show more often, or blast the media outlet you frequent, because it is their fault YOU don't hear about it more often

I like Imus, I don't belive he is a racist any more than I believe we are all racist (because people, we are ALL racist, atleast a little). He does ALOT of good for underprivileged youth. I believe it is his personality to be flipped like that. I believe the reason it is a big story is NOT because of Al Sharpton, he would have covered the story regardless of who it was, but because the MAJOR media is covering it. Hell, I saw it on Sportscenter this morning.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's time for that tired "BUT THE RAPPERS DO IT" excuse to stop.

I'm sick and tired of people excusing Racist Hate Speech by saying the rappers do it why can't I. All I read on these posts is how Blacks have to take responsibility for their actions. It's about time that those who support Don Imus follow their own advice. Stop crying about Al Sharpton for speaking up for these young girls. And stop lying about him not criticizing Rappers about their language, because he does on a regular basis if you would bother to listen.

I am sick of people attacking the symptom and not the Disease.

So let me give you a list of companies you need to focus on again. Because if you truly wan't to make a difference, and you are not just blowing smoke out of your a$$. These are the Companies that are the problem. NOT THE RAPPERS
These companies make BILLIONS off of RAP yet most of you refuse to hold them to the fire.
You say it is OK for the CEO's and SHARE HOLDERS to make Billions in relative obscurity. But loathe the Black Rappers who are making peanuts in comparison. This is a very flawed thought process, or mabe it's not. Mabe it's just the way some people think. It's no different than drugs, as long as we have the black guy on the street to focus on, we can overlook the real criminals bringing that s**t in because they look like me.

VIVENDI
BMG
EMI
WARNER MUSIC
UNIVERSAL MUSIC

All of these MULTI-BILLION Dollar Corporations and their BOARD MEMBERS and SHARE HOLDERS are responsible for this crap.

Do you really think A $3,000,000 music video can get produced without Board Approval. HELL NO

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lvnthed...

you are wasting keystrokes, becuase people are only going to deny what some really feel anyway. They are always going to use the excuse that "if they do it to themselves then it is ok for me to do it as well"...

Lvnthed

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin,

The reason most people have these flawed opinions IS because someone was repeating it over and over and over until they believed.

I'll be no different

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imus' comments were racist, sexist, repulsive, inappropriate and egregious. The fact that there are people on this forum who would defend and justify his statements is just a testament to the sad state of race relations in this country.

I have read posts justifying Imus' comments by saying that rap music degrades women and black people don't speak out against rap music - Black people speak out against rap music lyrics all the time. You just don't hear/ read that in the news because mainstream America doesn't consider it newsworthy.

Most black people do not go around calling each other "bitches" and "hos" or using the n word to each other. I also cant recall EVER hearing a black person referring to themselves as a "jigaboo". People just takes what they see on TV in rap videos and make sweeping generalizations.

These are not the first racist/sexist comments made by him or members of show. He has a history of it should be fired.

http://mediamatters.org/items/ 200703070009

His apology gave no hints of sincerity. The man is a pig. I personally do not listen to the show nor have I ever heard of the man. But I will make it a point to listen to the show when he comes back on the air. I will be making a list of all the sponsor of the show and make it a point to boycott each of them.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4215
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder why no major sponsors backed away from the Cubs when their asshole manage made similar remarks.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point well made Smitch. Welcome to the forum.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what would be the tone of the all the post if Rev Al or Jesse Jackson would've said the Notre Dame girls basketball team were a bunch of funny built stringy haired Os? 2 weeks paid vacation? Any corporate backing?

Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to get off topic but from the tone of some of these post and just listening to radio and television. Do people honestly believe that people of color and women can get a fair chance of schooling and employment without Affirmative Action. Imus said he's a decent person not racist but made a mistake. WOW! He's part of the majority.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always say I would rather hear it from his mouth than hiding it behind my back. Imus said what some people think. He put it out in the open. I happen to think it was ugly and offensive but I now know better who Imus is and it gives me more reason not to listen to him. He is an embarassment to all Americans, especially European-Americans.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, this a non-issue. That this went any farther than his little radio show is disgusting. The parents of the kids should have taken offense, perhaps, but nothing more. Why has this become a national issue? Jjaba says he's offended the State of New Jersey? That's got to be the first time New Jersey was the subject of a joke. Them's fighting words, fer sure. Sticks and stones, people. It was a stupid comment. There are bigger problems that we should be working on. We being society, not white. Not black. Because some old radio dj said made a stupid comment on his comedy show a lot of time and energy is being wasted. He's not a politician. He's not one of the network news journalists who tell us what to think. He gets paid to babble. Who cares what Imus thinks? I've never met the guy. Real question: How many posters here even heard the original broadcast? Not me. Disgusting. To say nothing of free speech.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsfirstson-
You are correct. I am white. I won't pretend I know what it is like to be black or what it is like to have racist comments made to you, or pretend I know how much this particular phrase hurts.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that people say offensive things to others all the time. Sometimes REALLY offensive things (like what Imus said). I suppose I just think that this is another one of those instances. I certainly don't think Imus (and I have never listened to the guy) did anything more than make an insulting remark that should simply have been taken as an insult, you say screw that guy, and then we all move on. The national attention this has gotten is absurd. I'm not attempting to soften the meaning of the words said, but rather just saying that this focus and the circus created over this is not justified.

I respect what everyone has to say. We don't have to agree with it. We don't think or say such things ourselves. But once the thing is said, lets move on.

What's that phrase? I don't have to agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it? I guess thats how I sorta feel here.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Imus said was offensive to blacks, and it's also offensive to women.

It's funny that the only people I hear defending what Imus said happen to be ...white males.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Outoftowner, for the most part.

I long for the day that everyone, Al Sharpton included, can just roll their eyes, say "what an idiot," and go on their merry way.

Llyn

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[this thread paraphrased]
"You're stupid! You don't know what you're talking about."
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"

I'm so out of this thread.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diehard,

Sure that's what we all want, unless you're the one constantly being attacked!!

Let's not forget, this IS a pattern, NOT a slip.

I was a fan of his. More for his and D's work than his show. But enough is enough!!

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see the fine young women of Rutgers take the high road (as they have so far)and turn this bad situation into an opportunity to speak out about rappers lyrics and talk show hosts prejudices, and demand a change. They have the floor, whether they want it or not, and they should use it to their advantage.

Just a thought: Where is the outrage by the reverends when Imus uses god damn on the air on a fairly regular basis? I'm just guessing, but maybe they pick the battles that generate the most publicity.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imus claims he is a good person who did a bad thing. At least he is half right.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be interested to know if anyone could rustle up any dispariging remarks that Kilpatrick has made about white people......I guarantee that you can.....

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man.....when is this thing going to fade? enough already. I hear comments that are racist, sexist, repulsive, inappropriate and egregious just about every day.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's funny that the only people I hear defending what Imus said happen to be ...white males."
While I don't condone what he said as a white male I've been beaten on the head numerous times-that the mere fact of being a white male makes me inherently racist. I'm going to say many blacks have many of the same biased feelings towards white for many reasons-they hate white just because they are white based on my life experiences.That feeling has ALWAYS been lurking just under the surface waiting to come out. I've worked with some blacks for years always getting along with no problems then suddenly was turned on & called horrible racist names and attacked on several occasions for no reason except an honest disagreement ( one example was I thought Clinton wasn't much of a president ).I was shocked to find they felt that way-it had to be Clinton was " For Blacks" that I didn't like him.
Imus issued his apology- but that won't satisfy a lot of people so he'll probably lose most of his talk show and career. So be it-but don't expect it to further race relations.
I asked a black man once what it would take to make things equal and put the past behind, wipe the slate clean and bring us all together as a people-his answer: "Nothing" in a nutshell he said he doesn't believe any white will ever accept him totally and he's never going to accept whites and said more blacks think his way than I'd believe.I asked him about me since we always got along & said his feelings extended to me too. We had worked together for years,had lunch many times even went to a Tiger game when one of the brass at work gave us the company tickets. I considered him a friend - NOT A BLACK FRIEND-A FRIEND PERIOD! After that I never felt comfortable around him. Until that conversation he was just Larry ( not his actual name) a good guy I knew. After that to me he became Larry the black guy that likely hates me and believes I'm a bigot-how else could I think of him?
When will we ever just get along???????
Sadly in my opinion: never. Didn't a pretty smart guy say that his hope was people would be judged by the content of their character? We've got a long way to go

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does rap has to do with what a old white man said? I don't see the relevance...also can anyone here name one song that is on the radio that clearly calls women "nappy headed hos" and "jiggaboo".

Col_kat
Username: Col_kat

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a black female and I do not think he should be fired from his job. What he said was completely wrong but, I do not believe in censorship. Furthermore, I want to know how people truly feel. In today society it's hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys because people are scared to say how they truly feel. The only way to begin to get past racism is to get at the root of it by talking openly and honestly about how we truly feel. Shutting somebody up does not take away what's in his heart and it doesn't solve the problem.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nappy Head by the Fugees, doesnt call them ho's but clearly nappy head.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly don't mean to be sarcastic with this comment: How is what Imus said racist? No one has been able to explain this to me.

Outoftowner

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a voice of reason in this mess: www.kansascity.com/sports/colu mnists/jason_whitlock/

Jason Whitlock, a columnist for the Kansas City Star, should be in charge here. He's written a great column.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Imus said was stupid, no doubt. But here is a great article, written by a black man by the way, that states exactly the point people are trying to make here.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/ story/66339.html

Gumby

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beat me by a split second outoftownner

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a bit strange and unfair in all the dialogue and media coverage, not one reference to the "Imus ranch for kids with cancer" has been made. That I've read or seen anyways. His firing/loss of TV medium will certainly be the end of it.

Part of the purpose of the TV/Radio show was to raise funds for that program. They invite kids that are terminally ill and whom could not otherwise afford it and put them in a western-cowboy-ranch environment for a few months. They even have nurses on the ranch to treat the kids. Imus invested heavily in that personally and even to the point of collapsing his own finances at different times.

The New York Times investigated him or at least a reporter did and found no wrong-doing. Actually exposed some financial benefits regarding institutions that they were not taking advantage of.

The Ranch is/was not exclusive to any race obviously. Only age restrictions.

http://www.americanprofile.com /article/4870.html

He was also very vocal about the Walter Reed hospital atrocities before anyone else was even talking about it. Based on his many personal visits there with wounded and disabled soldiers.

What he said was stupid, which is his whole schtik. There's more to this I think.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason had a dispute with ESPN and lost his job. He is yet another Black man who feels that he must put down black people to curry favor from the masses. And from where I am standing; It Worked.

The public has managed to take a racial comment from a White Person and turn it into an indictment of Black Men. And at the same time INSULATE the WHITE SHAREHOLDERS Who make BILLIONS
off of RAP.

I find that refusal to be even more appauling than what Imus said.

This is about Responsibility by all people.

Janesback

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lvnthed, this agenda you have about the CEO's and shareholders?

Do you realize the type of Capitalistic society we live in. Make a product or service, sell it, if it does well, sell shares and make money money money. Get it?

I may not agree with the way some people make money, but if its not illegal, then they can do as they want

Yesterday, you used the term "slave" work, when you were describing the work the RAP artists had to perform. That they worked for meager wages?

Look at other artists, ones that sing country, blues, jazz, pop, and any other kind of music. They are paid the same, the get little, esp when they are just starting out. They dont get sudden fame.
The record companies take a risk, invest in an-up -and coming new vocalist and hope they generate revenues for their company and the shareholders. Whats the problem?

Actors get paid squat when they first start out. Same with moviestars. They just dont move to Hollywood and get stand in parts or secondary parts that pay millions. Sheese.....
If these RAP stars dont like the pay, QUIT.....

Whats so hard to understand about that? Dont like the pay, QUIT........

Dont like the subject matter, QUIT.......

Seems when I've seen these RAP videos, I dont see anyone with a gun to their head. Seems to me, they are doing what they want to do. Their job

Quit looking to pass the buck for these people, and hold them accountable. From the singer to the C.E.O , hold them ALL accountable

Gumby

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sportsline.com/colu mns/story/10121203

Gumby

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lvnthed, this agenda you have about the CEO's and shareholders?

It's his victim mentality. It is insulting to think that he might have some personal responsibility. God forbid people have to be blamed for their choices.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JanesBack & Gumby

So why do people like you go after PORN COMPANIES and not the ACTORS.

You go after HOOTERS but NOT the WAITRESS.

BUT YOU GO AFTER THE RAPPERS AND "NOT" THEIR BOSSES

THIS IS FLAWED REASONING !!!

And the term was "slave to the trend", meaning If you want to get into the business, that's your ticket it.

Furthermore, every black person in the US could stop buying rap music and it would'nt put a dent in the market.
That is why I have been so vocal about the people who control the production of rap music.
This has grown way beyond black people, this is an america problem. So, why not go straight to the source.

I have said many times that Black people have to own-up to their responsibilities in this matter.

But that seems to be the only part of the solution that you want to hear.

I just don't get it!!!

WHY ARE YOU AGAINST HOLDING ALL PARTIES ACCOUNTABLE

WHAT MAKES THE CEO'S AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE RAPPERS

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Imus fired.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBI Z/TV/04/12/imus.rutgers/index. html

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Furthermore, every black person in the US could stop buying rap music and it would'nt put a dent in the market.

That is one of the most idiotic statements ever made on this forum.

So absolutely false it is appalling.

How could you even type such nonsense.

I promise you that if you find 1 scintilla of credible support for that statement, I will never make another negative statement on this board again.

But if you do not, then please, please shut the hell up when you do not know of what you speak.

Superduperman

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabrich its true,a very small percentage of black people actually "buy" rap albums,it is whites who help rappers go multiplatinum.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. Then I will offer you the same deal -- find one scintilla of credible evidence that supports that statement, and I will just shut up.

You are both very wrong.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Race baiting at it's best.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch here's ya proof.

WHO BUYS HIP-HOP?

"Is this the new Z-Ro? Alright, score!"

I admit - I haven't had a chance to read Bakari Kitwana's new book yet, but I did talk with Joe Schloss about it and one of the chapters he found compelling was where Bakari disputes the oft-repeated "fact" that "70% of hip-hop consumers are white." From what I understand of Bakari's argument, he tries to track down the source of this truism and discovers, actually, no one is quite sure where it started from but once it did, it acquired a life of its own and has entered into the realm of "common sense" - unquestioned and unchallenged.

http://poplicks.com/2005/06/wh o-buys-hip-hop.html

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FROM THE FRINGE: THE HIP HOP CULTURE AND ETHNIC RELATIONS

ABSTRACT

The “hip hop culture” has permeated popular culture in an unprecedented fashion. Because of its enormous cross-over appeal, the hip hop culture is a potentially great unifier of diverse populations. Although created by black youth on the street, hip hop's influence has become worldwide. Approximately 75% of the rap and hip hop audience is nonblack. It has gone from the fringes, to the suburbs, and into the corporate boardrooms. Indeed, McDonald's, Coca Cola, Sprite, Nike, and other corporate giants have capitalized on this phenomenon. Although critics of rap music and the hip hop culture seemed to be fixated on the messages of sex, violence, and harsh language, this genre offers us a paradigm of what can be. The potential of this art form to mend ethnic relations is substantial. In the 1950s and 1960s the “Beat Culture” challenged the status quo in ways that unified liberals and prompted change. In the same vein, the hip hop culture has challenged the system in ways that have unified individuals (particularly youth) across a rich ethnic spectrum. This paper will discuss the development of the hip hop culture, the cross-over appeal of hip hop, and the potential of this culture to mend ethnic cleavages in our society.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~rrre ese/HIPHOP.HTML

English
Username: English

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a silly controversy. All sides of the debate are laughably silly: the lynch mob screaming for that old so-and-so's blood, the apologists pointing the finger at rappers, etc.

Don Imus said what the majority of people think about black women, including far too many black women themselves. (Thanks, Don!) It's no wonder. Things like this have been said about us since circa 1500--we're nappy headed ho's who are good for having babies out-of-wedlock (since slavery), and un-feminine mules (since slavery). We're not considered "real women" and never have been -- from Sojourner until now. What's new?

Yes, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and the rest of the racial police are gonna go nuts over this. They always do, and a racist white society enables and finances their reactionary b.s. But what makes me laugh most is the outrage. Come on, be honest. Don Imus said it, but most of American society THINKS it.

Men of other races think it when they don't consider us women, but Other (see the comments upthread about those young ladies being "rough looking"). They will proposition us (nasty!) but wouldn't be caught dead with us in public. Women of other races think it when they consider themselves better-looking than us by default, even if they're hella ugly, fat, and/or have no hygiene standards whatsoever.

Many, many black women think things like this about themselves AND say things like this about each other! The shame about our hair is an epidemic, and none of us are immune! And self-hating black men tell their nonblack partners negative things about us all the time, as I have heard this from these women's mouths ("Tommy says he doesn't date black women because *insert stupidity here*" Me: "Oh, did he?" *chuckle*). I feel as if, hey, date whoever you want, because I sure have and will, but if you have to down the women in your community to do it, then you're a headcase.

I remember being a lone ranger at my historically black college, where African-American Christians who refused to curse threw around the n word without blinking. I was still a lone ranger when I moved back to Detroit, started teaching, and insisted upon a certain level of speech. I was the reactionary one. I was the overly sensitive one. Riiiiiiight.

I feel vindicated now. Good. Get this all out in the open. Actually, I wish nothing at all had happened to that man. Let him provide a platform for all the Americans OF ALL RACES who through their life choices, show that they echo his words every day that they live.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

70% of hip-hop consumers are white

quote:

75% of the rap and hip hop audience is nonblack

Thank you for supporting my argument.

25% to 30% of the Rap consumers are black.

If there were no sales tot hat group it would put a huge dent in the market.

A 30% reduction in sales would mean that every executive would be fired, support personnel would be slashed, T&E would be curtailed, etc.

His statement was not that African Americans buy more rap, or as much rap, or a 1/3 as much. The statement was that if all those sales ceased, there would not be a dent tot he market.

That statement was absurd. And as you proved yourself, it was patently false.

Thank you.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3931
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmmthr majority of buyers of hip hop are still white....the other 25-30% are a MIXTURE of everyone else...

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the two week suspension of DON IMUS was an appropriate response to his derogatory slurs. Imus, like Homer Simpson and Southpark, has insulted just about everyone. However, after making similar remarks, two of his critics are still on the loose.

JESSE JACKSON referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to New York City as "Hymietown". Jackson at first denied the remarks, then accused Jews of conspiring to defeat him. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-srv/politics/special/clinto n/frenzy/jackson.htm

AL SHARPTON complained about "the diamond merchants right here in Crown Heights," a disparaging reference to the Brooklyn neighborhood's Orthodox Jewish population. http://www.slate.com/id/208915 3/
Sharpton also compared then-state Attorney General Robert Abrams, a Jew, to Adolf Hitler and linked then-Gov. Mario Cuomo to organized crime and the Ku Klux Klan. http://www.realchange.org/shar pton.htm

Referring to Imus but apparently not Jackson and Sharpton-
"There's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of ANY ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude. ..." Presidential candidate BARAK OBAMA

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jason Whitlock, a columnist for the Kansas City Star, should be in charge here. He's written a great column."

He's going to be on with Stoney and Wojo (WDFN) tomorrow at 4:00.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_Stylin:

From the article you quoted:

quote:

75% of the rap and hip hop audience is nonblack

Meaning that 25% of the audience is black.

The loss of that would represent a "dent".

Please just stop.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 685
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will somebody please revoke Al Sharpton's race card? I think he's abused it long enough. In fact, his race card should have been rescinded after the Tawana Brawley incident which he NEVER apologized for BTW.

I just don't understand why it is acceptable for black people to hate white people to the extent that it is literally OK to accuse white men of heinous crimes they did not commit,such as raping a black woman, simply to provoke a racial outrage in the black community for their own selfish gain. This sums up both Jesse Jackson and Al Shaprton, they are racists, they have repeatedly engaged in slander and made up false accusations against innocent white men in order to advance their own selfish agenda by provoking a racial controversy. And unlike Imus, they NEVER apologize when they are wrong. Imus' comments were foolish and reprehensible but they did not harm the lives of the Rutgers womens basketball team. There are three Duke Lacrosse players whose lives have been RUINED in part thanks to the slanderous efforts of Sharpton and Jackson calling them rapists and racists all over the national media for a year. Where is their justice?

Gumby

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So why do people like you go after PORN COMPANIES and not the ACTORS.

You go after HOOTERS but NOT the WAITRESS.

Shit I love Porn and Hooters.

Gumby

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"70% of hip-hop consumers are white."

Only makes sense because 80% of the population is white. Now what really would tell the story is the percentage of the white and black population listen to rap, not percentage of total sales.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To address a couple of specific comments, the fact that the words "nappy head" appear in a rap record does not make it inherently a negative thing and if the poster knew the context of the song, I very much doubt that it would have been brought up in support of the argument.

It's at shame that we live in a society where "nappy headed" is even considered an insult by anyone (much to English's point), but the fact of the matter is it seems to me that people are deliberately missing the point that the INTENT behind those words as spoken by Don Imus was to be mean, most likely racist, and insulting. "Stringy headed ho" would not have stirred up the same controversy and that just goes to once again show what the default standard of beauty is. There is nothing about a black woman that is promoted to be desirable in mainstream society and everybody knows it.

We have to fight the messages of being "unpretty" work horses, loud mouths, take-no-shit, just keep piling it on task masters. Nothing bothers us, everything rolls off and we have a snappy comeback and neckroll for anything that comes our way. That is so wrong, and so hurtful. And we get it from all sides.

For everyone who want to holler "free speech" and "censorship," I'll holler "slander" and "verbal slap in the face." There are laws that protect and penalize for all of those things.

And for the last time, rap music does not speak for the whole of black people any more than something like "Girls Gone Wild" speaks for all white folks. It's a segment of our culture that many of us find degrading and repulsive so please stop getting it twisted.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see Al Sharpton stand up for a white person for once. No matter what a black person cries, he backs them up (does Duke lacrosse ring a bell). He needs to stand up for what's right and stop being so blind.

(Message edited by jerrytimes on April 13, 2007)

Exmotowner

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(JUST SHAKING HEAD HERE)! WHAT A DOUBLE STANDARD!

and please dont think I support IMUS hes an ass. but if it would have been a black reporter that said it what would have been said? NOT A DAMN THING!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan, I agree.

Also, In as much as Imus being fired at their urging, I'm expecting anyone else that behaves this way also suffer the same fate. Condemning one's actions based on their race is racist in and of itself.

The excuse, it's ok because they are this or that is BS. Fair is fair.

Sharpton and Jackson have done nothing more than drive the wedge in a bit deeper for a lot of folks. Totally the opposite of what needs to happen and they should be doing.

If they didn't promote racism and foster it's continuance, they'd both be out of a job.

Again, Imus is a jerk to say what he said, he was suspended and he apologized. This wasn't enough, they set out to destroy him over it. That was wrong to do that.

Superduperman

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch

Now it seems as if you are trying to reframe the argument you said "Ok. Then I will offer you the same deal -- find one scintilla of credible evidence that supports that statement, and I will just shut up.

You are both very wrong."

did you not? Now its time for you to honor what you said.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dabirch

Now it seems as if you are trying to reframe the argument you said "Ok. Then I will offer you the same deal -- find one scintilla of credible evidence that supports that statement, and I will just shut up.

You are both very wrong."

did you not? Now its time for you to honor what you said.

I say to be fair (since that seems to be the word of the day), share the burden of proof.

Can someone find and post any reliable facts by a credible source that supports the theory that rap music is mostly purchased (not listened to - no direct dollars in that) by black/african-american people?

That may be a good start for settling the argument.

(Message edited by soulsauce on April 13, 2007)

Superduperman

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that he is trying to use the same information given to him as fact to support his argument must mean he believes what has been written in the article.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

Have you NOT read everything I've said! You are focusing on one sub-jective argument without considering the countless others.

This is what I mean when I say, YOU ONLY SEE AND HEAR WHAT YOU WANT.

I think WE should have a civil conversation of what WE need to do to resolve these issues.
But WE can't if WE Both aren't willing to tone down the rhetoric.

I'm extending an Olive branch here. I've got a 13yo daughter and this level of un-civil discourse is scarry. I've done my job educating her about the dangers out there, and her responsibility as a young lady. But kid's aren't the problem, WE are. We should be the standard bearer's in the minds of our children. NOT MUSIC, TELEVISION, FILM AND RADIO

In order for this to work, WE need to be Honest and Candid about our Differences. This Is Not a Joke

Warriorfan,

Have we forgot about "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY" in 5days.

I feel bad that those men had to go through all this mess for the last year. And I feel that the prosecutor should be punished for what he did and didn't do in this case. I also feel that this woman should be charged also.

BUT THEY DO NOT DESERVE AN APOLOGY!!!

When those 40 players decided to go, who knows where and pay for STRIPPERS/PROSTITUTES, they accepted the responsibilities that go along with those kinds of activities. Nobody Made Them Attend A Party With Strippers And Alcohol. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson DID NOT make them engage in such IRRESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR. They had already been in trouble for things like this before. They are Student Athletes who "DIDN'T CARE ABOUT BREAKING THE RULES", PERIOD.

THEY KNEW BETTER

Let's not forget that 5 days ago people were cheering Pac-man Jones Loosing his job and 1.3 Mill. for doing exactly the same thing. He was suspended for Being In the wrong place too many times.

He had a few to many run-ins with the law on minor things but was never convicted SO FAR. But he knew better, And ultimately had to PAY THE PRICE FOR HIS DEEDS.

THEY ALL PAID THE PRICE

Superduperman

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what about the rap album where the rapper is calling other black people "Jiggaboo"....oh wait it doesn't exist.

Outoftowner

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up about Jason Whitlock, Rjk. I'm tuning in now...

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to hear a rap song that should make people furious, listen to Slap by Ludacris. The record that this garbage was on won a freakin grammy award. He uses the 'n' word over a dozen times (saying that he wants to slap a black man) and then he says he's thinking about 'killin my boss today'. Then he discusses robbing a bank because he has no money, instead of getting a job. This is what's wrong with society. But, just like Imus, we could just not listen. The only difference is that Ludacris isn't getting fired from his record label.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry,

He Owns The Label as a subsidiary of Universal Music.!!

That's why we must target the Parent company and the Sponsors. They cut the checks that pay for the production of this mess.

Superduperman

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok....the same thing could be said about movies as well right? And what about Rock and Roll but wait thats black people fault as well because rock and roll was originated from blacks then was stolen by whites....

Superduperman

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerrytimes,

Where can one here this song by Ludacris,is/was it on the radio or do I have to go out and purchase his album with my money?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperD -

This is the last time I am going to go through this:

The original statement was that if all African Americans ceased buying rap, there would not be a dent in the market.

The second statement was that a very small percentage of rap is bought by African Americans.

I challenged both of those statements as false and unsupportable.

They are false and unsupportable.

The support that has been given is that somewhere around 25% of rap is purchased by African Americans.

25% of any market is a HUGE number. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

I would consider shutting up if the number came back around 5% -- even then I could argue that 5% is significant -- but would shut up because that would be a scintilla of evidence.

However, that is not what came back. You were wrong.

I have grown weary of this discussion.

As, I am sure, has everybody else.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperD, you're right .....75-85% of all "gangsta rap" is bought by white people, and owned by 100% white people who call the shots. "white Supremacy" is alive and kickin'.

IMUS is GONE!!! Now,let's go after that negatively (and inaccurately; after all, it's about white white folk and their barbaric behaviors) named show "The BLACK Donnelys". It should have been appropriately named the WHITE Donnelys.

Black-atcha ..... c-ing the racists are still here,and supporting the "cradle-to-the-grave" mentality.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the meantime here is a real dose of a true hate crime.The fact that it is black on white means that the media is scared to cover it_ can't say anything bad about black folks.

I am willing to have an honest discussion about race.I am open to things being pointed out to me that I might not have noticed. But when the Imus thing and the Duke thing dominate (and as near as I can tell zero in the way of any contrition from those accusing the duke players) then there can be no honest discussion.

Go ahead and read this account of how several black people raped tortured and murdered two young white people and nary a word in the national media_ and then tell me how there can ever be an honest dialogue

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/lo cal_news/article/0,1406,KNS_34 7_5277265,00.html

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6744
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover is right. The story above was cited by Johnny5 on another thread and is horrific - and worse because it has been totally ignored while we whine back & forth about Imus. This makes Imus look like a kid with a squirtgun - and as CL says, nary a word.

Looking forward to Stylin's POV.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover,

Are you really trying to hold the Black Race accountable for the National Media's lack of interest in this unfortunate couple's death's? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch. If I remember correctly, it was Anna-Nicole Smith 24-7
for tha last 6mo. And please don't try and inflate this into a hate crime when it's clearly not. You should know better than that. This crime was horrible and the people who committed these terrible acts should be tried, convicted and locked away for ever. But that's all it was, a horrible act of cowardice and malice. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but I don't like the direction you are heading in.

Please read my previous post about the Duke players and Imus.

I have never been shy about calling out Black people on there B/S

But Imus and the Duke Players have to suffer the consequences of their own actions. No-one made them do what they did. no-one made Imus say those hateful words; He chose to. And no-one made those players go out and hire strippers or drink underage; They chose to. They new that when they went trolling for strippers; there was a consequence to pay for that action. BUT THEY DIDN'T CARE.

Sometimes people have to pay for their actions.

Karl

Post Number: 6749
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lvnthed - the case cited by CL isn't a hate crime?? You've got to be kidding. When someone hates a woman enough to gang rape her for 2 days, then cut up her body into 5 bags, that's love?

And then the same nice guys rape the guy and cut off his penis?

And where are Jesse and Al on this?

Oh that's right - they'd be on the same side as Cosby so they've gotta maintain silence.

Sorry, a hate crime is a hate crime - it works both ways.

And you've lost credibility.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope Lynthed I hold the media responsible.It is a continuation of what Tony Blair said. Political correctness has frightened the media into such anxiety that they won't honestly portray a horrible crime.It gets downplayed to the point of finding it difficult to find much in depth info( I have tried.Why is that? Why do we get bombarded with Imus? And prior to that the Duke scandal? These are race issues.The Anna Nicole case is not it is not relevant.What is relevant is that the media is afraid to say anything bad about black people. This knoxville story should have been prominently in the news but it wasn't.

Clearly not a hate crime? That is more than a bit of a stretch.Two young white people are car jacked.But it does not stop there.They are both sexually assaulted.The young man is murdered. His body is burned and dumped. The girl is sexually assaulted for a period of days.Her body stuffed into garbage bags and discarded like trash ______________ and the perpetrators happen to be black_ nah this aint no hate crime_ it is fairly common for car jackers to rape, torture and mutilate their victims.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: When those 40 players decided to go, who knows where and pay for STRIPPERS/PROSTITUTES, they accepted the responsibilities that go along with those kinds of activities. Nobody Made Them Attend A Party With Strippers And Alcohol.

______________________________ ___________________

So Lvnthed, with that great logic, anyone can accuse you of a horrible crime if you've been drunk at a party and there were strippers, and it would be Ok? I suspect you would be screaming from the rooftops, when you were proven innocent, that it was a racist witch-hunt.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover/Karl,

I didn't read every article, (Just the first) one, and I can't get the link to work. So I will take your word at face-value.

If what you said is true; you are 100% correct.

But your assertion that the media is scared is nuts. We live in/near Detroit; We see black crime on TV ad nausea. But again I don't see any lack of coverage. But I'm getting the feeling this has nothing to do with media coverage and everything to do with your dislike of BLACK people.

Please tell me that I am wrong.

I stand firm on DUKE and IMUS though.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitj72,

NO I don't think that it's ok being falsely accused of a crime. And I probably wouldn't be screaming racism if I was wrong in the beginning.

It's like knowingly visiting a friend that deals dope and the police raid while you are there. You don't sell drugs but you knew he did. If the police wan't to charge you with something they can. And you have to live with that decision to go in that house.

I don't know if you could ever understand something like that. But in the city it happens every day. Just another day in the D. Wrong place Wrong time. What that DA did to them was horrible, but do I feel sorry for them; NO

Warriorfan

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed that the Tennessee girls team that Imus described as "cute" is made up of 8 black players and 3 white ones, almost the same racial makeup as the Rutgers team (8 black playes, 2 white ones).

Superduperman

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't get is all these people making excuses for a 67 year old man.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: I don't know if you could ever understand something like that. But in the city it happens every day. Just another day in the D. Wrong place Wrong time. What that DA did to them was horrible, but do I feel sorry for them; NO

On the contrary, I can relate to s$!t like that...

If I had a $ for every time I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, well, you know the line.

quote: NO I don't think that it's ok being falsely accused of a crime. And I probably wouldn't be screaming racism if I was wrong in the beginning.

It's like knowingly visiting a friend that deals dope and the police raid while you are there. You don't sell drugs but you knew he did. If the police wan't to charge you with something they can. And you have to live with that decision to go in that house.

Lvnthed,
I don't think you and I are very far off with our opinion's about said individual's "situation".

I understand your anolegy of the crack house, but I feel this was different because said boys paid an "exotic dancer" to come to the party at thier place.

Bottom line: said "dancer" lied to police and authorities about what happened while she preformed at said event.

There was no rape, as even her friend said it wasn't so, however, the most powerful evidence was the lack of DNA on the so called defendant.

Do you think the team was wrongly osstricised from the get go?

Just a little food for thought.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on April 14, 2007)

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Superduperman, you can find the song online, in stores, and I believe that there was also a video made for it which more than likely will be on MTV and on internet feeds, but you are correct, to hear it, you have to go find it yourself. At the store, on the internet, on TV. But it's the same for Imus. If you want to hear what he has to say you have to tune in. It's Americas choice to listen to Ludacris, or Imus, and since Ludacris says things that are offensive to me I want him banned from making music.

Superduperman

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So by your estimation Imus was influenced by Ludacris,I never pegged Imus as a Ludacris fan, anyway Ludacris never made a video for the song you are talking about so thats false,matter of fact that was never one of his singles. This language didn't originate from rappers,whites used it first,we simply co-opted it and made millions from it.

Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing about the Imus situation is that its not necessarily about Imus its more about enough being enough and that you're not going to say whatever you want (And I seriously doubt Imus has heard any rap albums or watches BET) then come back later with a meaningless apology and everything will be business as usual. From what I've been hearing and reading the National Black Journalist group started the fire Imus and the Women's equal rights groups joined. It wasnt Jesse or Al.

Im curious does anyone believe that its possible the stripper in the Duke case was paid money from the boys parents to make this go away?

Janesback

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detriotmist, NO,,,,,,,, The D.A. is probably going to lose his ability to practice law and he is up on ethics violation

I m sure he'd be hard pressed to push the case, but since it was bogus, it was made up, he had nothing left to do but apologize. Also, this girl said that she was raped in 1998 by 40 men, and there was a prior offense where she had a police harrassment case against her.
There was no incriminating evidence for the boys.

I dont know much about rapists' but how many rapists do you know that would call a cab for the person they just raped and walk them to the cab. The cab driver said under oath that she looked fine when she came to the cab. Come on now, be honest, do you really think if she was brutalized or raped, they would do that for her?

Rjk

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have an easier time believing that Sharpton paid off that SOB Mike Nifong to try and get a conviction.

The prosecution held DNA evidence for six months that indicated that the woman had sex with multiple men, none of them being connected with the Duke lacrosse team.

Nifong was only concerned about being re-elected and trampled on the lives of the Duke lacrosse players in the process. Not one of our judicial systems finer moments.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitj72,

I'm telling you that I am mad as hell about what happened to those boys. The minute this happened I felt sick to my stomach because I knew that if this was'nt handled correctly, the nation would be in big trouble. This DA Created my worst nightmare.

But I can tell you that in the real world this happens every day. Innocent people get charged and convicted for things every day for CHOICES.

Example:

My 20yo female cousin was in a vehicle with a couple male friends going to a recording studio in Harper Woods. She she was going to sing a vocal for the track. Her friends were pulled over by the HW Police and there was open alcohol in the vehicle. My cousin does not smoke, drink, use drugs or anything like that. She has worked since she was 14 and she is married.

But her Choice to get into that vehicle got her a years probation and a misdemeanor Record for being a passenger. They threatened her with much more severe penalties if she didn't cop-a-plea. So she did what she had to do, she copped. All of the explaining in the world could not take her out of that vehicle. And her BAD CHOICE ultimately cost her.

I'm not saying it's right; It's life.

When I would complain about the police harassing me for nothing, my father would always tell me about the DECISIONS, (right/wrong) that I made affected what happened to me, not them. This pissed me off bad!!!

But I started to look at the things I was doing to figure out how to fix the problem. The first thing I did was Implement a 2 penis policy in my vehicle's. And the second thing was getting rid of my Old school vehicles. This was a drastic measure but Now that I only drive stock late model trucks I haven't been pulled over or harassed by the police in 15 years. No tickets, no nothing!!!
It's a BITCH that Hard Working Legal Black Men can't enjoy old school vehicles without being hassled. But that's the choice I had to make.

CHOICES MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk,

So where is the outrage for the everyday man. This shit happens everyday in the region, especially in Wayne, Macomb and Oakland Counties.

Janesback

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lvthed, I understand about the vehicle. I had a red sports car at one time, the upkeep and being pulled over got old.

As far as what Ismus did say, Lvthed, there was NO ONE that I discussed the issue with that agreed about Imus's comments.
The people I talked to were upset about his comments, truly, and thought he should be punished. The punishment ran from suspension to dismissal.

I agree, what he said was prejudiced and sexist. I cant speak for the white female segment of society, but I can tell you as a woman it was degrading. I hope as we "debate" this subject, the majority of people DISAGREED with what Imus said. I think the majority of the posts wanted clarification on why certain people say and are allowed, versus other people that arent allowed.

Again, this is only my thoughts on the subject. I applaud anyone who is able to achieve their goals in life, and education is one of the best tools in order to succeed. Please know that this week, actually ,last week was a slow "news week" and the media had just about wore about the Anna Nicole baby skit.

I hope this is a start where everyone can look at this and try to find the need for change. I have and plan on working on myself as well... Jane

Rjk

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So where is the outrage for the everyday man. This shit happens everyday in the region, especially in Wayne, Macomb and Oakland Counties."

My bad, next time I'll be sure to add the caveat that I'm outraged when this happens to other people even though I'm replying to a post involving a specific news event.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Jane!!!

I love michigan, And I refuse to let Ignorance and Intolerance by ANYBODY destroy our state. If that means taking the city/Suburbs to task, then so be it. WRONG IS WRONG!! Color means nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I do my best to reach out to the young folk.

You know you're doing a good job when the kid's bail when they see you coming. It's tough but i'll do it one child at a time if need be.

Jane,

Black People have truly been fighting all of this for years. Including Al Sharpton, Who I listen to almost everyday. Not a week goes by that this subject isn't addressed on his show. The problem is; Without an Imus, you will probably never know about all of the good things in Hip-Hop and the efforts to Get Rid of the bad elements. The media won't waist time on a story if it's not sexy/dirty enough.

I DO, think this is our greatest hope at a civil conversation.
WE must not waste it.

Thanks Jane

Lvnthed

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk,

I think I have made my position Very clear in my previous posts.

It was F-up what happened And I would'nt wish it on anybody. The Prosecution was willfully negligent and should be punished. And the young woman should be charged. Period.

Why Are you trying to make me defend the indefensible. NO WAY RJ

Go back and read my last couple post's.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imus is an ass. Today I finally caught up on the news and the site of those young women with stoic faces and tears coming down their cheeks made me so angry at him. I am glad he lost his job. It will hopefully make others think before they say things.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I implore all of you to boycott ABC and the advertisers of Grey's Anatomy until they fire that homophobic bigot, Isaiah Washington. What he did was worse than what Imus did. The word he used is far more offensive, it is the equivalent of the "n-word" for gay people. But unlike Imus, he said it directly to the face of a gay man. And unlike Imus, who was half-joking when he made his comment, Washington was intending to be offensive and insult that person and his comment led to a physical confrontation. Then he denied even using the word, and then he used it AGAIN on National TV.

There is no room for that kind of bigotry and hate in our society. Please join me in boycotting the sponsors of Grey's Anatomy, urge your friends to do so, this bigot must be removed from his job. Please, call in to Al Sharpton's radio show and urge the good Reverend to extend his efforts to removing another bigot from the airwaves.

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superduperman. You need to stop changing what I say. Where in what I wrote did I say that Imus was influenced by Ludacris. Nowhere. What I was stating is that if people want to hear Luda, they have to go get it by either buying it or finding it on the web ect... If you want to hear Imus you have to tune in. Since Imus isn't allowed to say what he said, Ludacris shouldn't be either because he actually says that he feels like killing his boss in his song. Some idiot somewhere might actually take that literally.

And Slap is the 4th single from his latest CD. Google it.

(Message edited by jerrytimes on April 14, 2007)

Soulsauce

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I implore all of you to boycott ABC and the advertisers of Grey's Anatomy until they fire that homophobic bigot, Isaiah Washington. What he did was worse than what Imus did. The word he used is far more offensive, it is the equivalent of the "n-word" for gay people. But unlike Imus, he said it directly to the face of a gay man. And unlike Imus, who was half-joking when he made his comment, Washington was intending to be offensive and insult that person and his comment led to a physical confrontation. Then he denied even using the word, and then he used it AGAIN on National TV.

On the contrary, at least Isiah Washington (and Michael Richards for that matter) picked on someone "their own size" so to speak. I have more respect for someone who insults another man to his face and deals with the consequences rather than a grown man dogging out a bunch of young women that he doesn't even know, 45+ years his junior, and without provocation.

Isiah Washington said something offensive to someone else who has equal access to the media, someone he knows personally and has a working relationship with, and someone who could stand up for himself. It was not (initially) broadcast all over the airwaves for the world to hear for sh*ts and giggles. The same can not be said for Imus' situation.

Let's not be dense. It is not the same.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 690
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On the contrary, at least Isiah Washington (and Michael Richards for that matter) picked on someone "their own size" so to speak.

Have you ever seen TR Knight? That is hardly "picking on someone your own size", Washington towers over that guy. And you have respect for someone who would call a gay man a "faggot" to his face, as long as he does it to his face? That tells me all I need to know about you and your double standards. And yes, Isaiah Washington used that word again, on National TV at the Golden Globes pre-show.

No it's not the same, it's worse. Washington saying "faggot" on national TV was witnessed by millions more people than listen to Don Imus' radio show. Additionally, Imus didn't deny saying the things he did, Washington lied and said he didn't use that word only to admit later that he did. And quite frankly, Washington's "slur" was worse in context, it would be the equivalent of Imus using the "n-word." So if the standards of tolerance and political correctness are applied equally, there should have been an equal backlash over Washington's statements, but I don't remember it that way. Let me ask you this, if one of the other white cast members had done what Washington did, would they still have a job? Answer me truthfully, you know damn well they would not. There is a double standard in regards to issues like this.

Don't you find it the least bit ironic that guys like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who in the past have made anti-semitic comments have the moral audacity to demand apologizes from their fellow bigots like Michael Richards and Don Imus? Bigots now have to apologize to other bigots, welcome to Bizzaro World. Only in a perfect world, Jackson and Sharpton would be put out to pasture along with Richards and Imus, but they aren't. They are allowed to continue to exploit situations like this for their own selfish purposes, like Al Sharpton really gives a fat flying fuck about those Rutgers girls. He cares about getting his image on the news and his name in the papers, nothing more.

Dkdowty
Username: Dkdowty

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's stupid and insane comparing Imus' idiocy to rap, the so-called "art form." I'm not going to defend rap, because I don't listen to the bulk of derogatory crap--including white Eminem or black 50 cent.

The difference is, these rappers are raping women and killing them in their own universe. Did Eminem really do all that shit to his ex like he claims in the song? No, it's all in his imagination, about situations and people he creates in his own twisted world. He doesn't say, "that white bitch Nancy Grace" or single anybody out.

Imus, on the other hand, went after real people in a real world situation. His radio show may be dirty, but it's not "fictional." He talks to real people. He criticizes real people. It's not make believe, it's the real deal. So when he trashes the living, breathing women of a college basketball team, he has crossed the line between our perverted art and the unspoken rules of society that blacks, women and others have taken so long to win for themselves.

That's the fundamental difference between some hypothetical rape in a rap song and Imus' crack-headed comments about real, upstanding citizens who happen to be black and women. And apparently, they're hell good basketball players.

That's an important line in culture: what is art and what is real. Rock, R&B, rap groups, they all get away with saying stuff that none would ever dare to say outside of a song. We all listen to it; we all know what that line is.

So it's a flawed argument to compare Imus to any of it.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have you ever seen TR Knight? That is hardly "picking on someone your own size", Washington towers over that guy.

srsly. There is no double standard here.

I think everyone on this board with the exception of YOU understood that when I said "picked on someone his own size" I was not referring to physical attributes rather than the fact that there were two grown men involved. To deliberately screw that up to argue a point is silly and lends no credence to anything you say afterwards (which still makes no sense.)

That tells me all that I need to know about YOU and that I should stop trying to have an intelligent discussion with someone who is unable to differentiate between a figure of speech and a literal assertion all the while completely ignoring the rest of the post.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oprah had a town hall meeting yesterday with a panel of folks about Don Imus. Today she is having some rap producers and rap star Common (whoever he is)to discuss why its ok (or when did it become ok) to call women bitches and ho's in the first place. Yesterday was a very interesting show and today will be very interesting also. Heads up to all you TIVO folks you might want to tivo it. I think everyone needs to see this show!

Karl

Post Number: 6800
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be interesting to learn what the listening preferences of the young shooter at VA Tech were.

Let's guess:

Imus?

or gangsta rap?

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blacks that defend Rap, Gangsta Rap, HipHop and the demeaning language used in that music are helping dig a hole that they will never get out of as long as they are confronted with coping in and with a civilized society, otherwise they are doing just find promoting that genre or art form.

In fact there are more white followers and buyers of that genre than blacks.....it applies equally across the board.

regards

Janesback

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the fundamental difference between some hypothetical rape in a rap song and Imus' crack-headed comments about real, upstanding citizens who happen to be black and women

----------------------------

You need to reread this garbage. "hypothetical rape'? Look and listen to the language on rap videos and ask yourself how "hypothetical " the sounds you hear really are, especially when they spell hoe, nappy, skank, bitch , and faggott?

Be open minded as well. It helps to be objective

Exmotowner

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How far will our censorship or our language go? Im gay. Ok to call me a faggot? Im white, is Cracker ok? Not trying to be a jerk here but really where will/should this censorship stop, and just who will make it stop? should there be laws enacted? I think New York just made the N word illigeal for (I think it was only) city council. (correct me if Im wrong please)

Exmotowner

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

warriorfan. Im on your side buddy, but you will NEVER see Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson coming to our rescue over the Grays thing! NEVER! Thats acutally got me chuckeling. Faggot/queer/homo etc. is the last word that is OK to use. I dont think we will ever win that fight in our FREE country!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5224
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dkdowty #12 tells it like it tis.

jjaba really likes Don Imus for all of his humor about general conditions of life as we live it. But to demean in such a crude way, the Rutgers women was "over the line" and he deserved sanctions.

For 67 yr. old white Imus to pose as a hip hop rapper with their street thug language makes him into a comical wanabee.

jjaba points out that without the withdrawal of his sponsors, he'd still be on the air. The bottom line IS the bottom line. If you can't sell cars, air fresheners, and office supplies during drive time, you're dead on commercial radio.

Some might remember Arthur Godfrey or Don Mc Neil of our JP Mc Carthy on the radio. Those guys could sell ice cubes to Eskimos or central heating in Hawaii. Imus lost that edge last week.

jjaba, tells it like it tis.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main problem here is, as Colin Powell describes it, the lack of shame. I may be a little naive, but a little fear of the oral insertion of the good old Irish Spring would do wonders. Years ago, as I was still living in Detroit, you would never hear the word "damn" on the radio or tv. Now just turn on a sports radio program, and listen to the potty-mouth crap that is going on. Who needs to hear it? Don`t we get enough profanity at the workplace or where ever? Shame on you Don Imus! Shame on anyone calling anyone else a nigger, honkey, spick, mick, jewboy, sandscratcher or whatever, regardless if you are of the same profile or not. Showing other people respect is also showing your own self-respect.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Rickles and Jackie Mason could take the worst racial and ethnic stereotypes and make it funny, yet not such a put down as Imus. The difference with Imus was the aim he took at a specific group of women. Not that any racial slurs are good ofcourse, there are ways to laugh at ourselves without being hurtful.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that should be noted here and I've not seen mentioned, and I used to watch that show religiously so it's not here-say. The guy they were talking to on the phone (Sid Rosenberg) used to do the sports on the Imus show every morning. HE was the one with all the racial comments that Imus is also getting blamed for. HE was the one that used be so vile regarding Venus Williams and her sister that she was on TV blaming Imus for a few days ago. Not just her, it was many other black sports celebrities as well. Comments he made were never funny but were so obvious an attempt to shock the listeners. Total loser.

The other day when Imus and Bernard were making those comments, Sid R was on the phone, so I think they were actually making fun of him and his racist viewpoints. He used to say things on that show that were unbelievable. They eventually got rid of him, they hinted it was because of substance abuse.

Don Imus even admonished him on one show for being such a jerk. I remember Don Imus saying to him "What pisses me off about the things that you say to improve your ratings, is that it's working"

Still no excuse for Imus, he should've been smarter than that.

Dkdowty
Username: Dkdowty

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback--I understand you're point, but it doesn't discredit mine.

"hypothetical rape" meaning, if Eminem or 50 Cent actually did all the shit they sing about, I would certainly hope they would be arrested and go to prison for a long time.

The freedom to rap, sing, rock or whatever about killing, drug use and mayhem is a product of our culture -- not black culture -- but American culture. Rock and roll introduced many of these subjects as permissible -- look no further than the Guns N Roses song that psychopath at VT used in his pathetic plays that describes heroin use. Should Guns N Roses be blamed for writing about their world (which happened to be much more real than we would like to admit?)

No, there is obviously a line of responsibility. In this case, Imus was going after real black women who succeeded and had achieved in a real way. What he did was to degrade these athletes in an unexcusable way.

I'm not defending "art"; I'm simply pointing out there is an acceptable line that cannot be crossed. Whether that line goes too far is a completely separate debate.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A double standard is when myself, a white man, holds a door open for a black man and the courtesy is acknowledged with "thanks my nigga". I'm insulted by that as a white male and I would hope that any black person would be as well. Guess not. The word flies out of my mouth without a second thought since that day.

I haven't read much of this Imus fiasco because the issue isn't worth doo doo. I've said it 10 years ago and I'll say it again............when black people start acting respectable, others will respect them. It hasn't happened yet in Detroit. It has obviously happened where I live now.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why,

First off, welcome to the mix!

It is true that we use words we hear others use. It is normal, human behavior.

A child who hears swearing in the home takes it to school, thinks nothing of it, and shocks the teachers and other students.

As adults, I think we should do some self-censoring to make ourselves understood in the best possible way without possibly insulting anyone. And I mean anyone.

I think we could better ourselves by being, overall, nicer and more courteous to each other.

And, your last sentence should get you into some trouble here. You could have self-censored and saved yourself and all of us some grief.

Good luck here. I hope you don't really mean the last part. Every time a blanket statement is made we show our ignorance. (I'm just as guilty as the next guy/girl.)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3944
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly I think he did nothing more but show how he really feels and thinks anyway....

Soulsauce

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It will be interesting to learn what the listening preferences of the young shooter at VA Tech were.

Let's guess:

Imus?

or gangsta rap?

Why not speculate the reading preferences of this person as well, since we're looking for somewhere to place the blame.

"Hmm, Asian kid? Must be into anime. That stuff is full of violence and sex and rape and mayhem. If Asian people didn't create this stuff, the shooter never would have gotten it in his head to do this."

I'm seriously hoping that people can see just how ridiculous this argument is. It's the same argument as the rap/hip hop one...but no one's making the same irrational correlation.

Karl

Post Number: 6815
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First Dkdowty says: "The freedom to rap, sing, rock or whatever about killing, drug use and mayhem is a product of our culture...."

Then Dkdowty says: "Imus was going after real black women who succeeded and had achieved in a real way. What he did was to degrade these athletes in an unexcusable way...."

Let's see, first Dkdowty excuses it (h's, n's, f's are all OK, it's a "product of our culture") then he/she accuses because the women are "real"??

So what are the women in the music videos that accompany the profanity-laden, women-denigrating lyrics? Disney animation?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.