Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Despite deficit, Cox wants $86,000 gym « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You thought the iPods were a bad idea? At least the Legislature gets the opportunity to vote it down.
Republican Attorney General Mike Cox has already announced he's laying off more than 20 full-time workers.
Now he's planning on spending $86,000 of taxpayers' money to put in a gym for officers in the Attorney General's Office.
Remember, we have a multimillion-dollar budget deficit in this state.
I'll open the floor to discussion.
Story in Tuesday's Free Press on the front of the Local section.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on April 10, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preventing heart disease and other ailments ahead of time (by providing work out facilities) is a lot cheaper in the long run than paying for triple bypass...

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta go with Charlottepaul there. And this state could use another gym.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5775
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Neo-Cons in Michigan must be recalled. The time is now for a Democratic Michigan Legislature!

Mike Cox wants to eliminate 21 of his employees so that he could use our tax money to build a exercise room in the State Capital. REPUGNANT! He should have used his own money to join a any fitness club.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/assets/st atic/pdf/2007/04/0410_proposal .pdf

They couldn’t find anything closer or CHEAPER than Plymouth, MI?

Scs100

Post Number: 761
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, may I remind you that the Democrats want iPods for all kids in school in the state to "listen to lectures."

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lecture me this Batman: Go the YMCA like their constituents. Government by the people, of the people, and for the peeps.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking @ the bill (proposal-whatever)

1. What does ZOL AED for $1900.00 mean?

2. Freight is $2340.00 from Plymouth to Lansing?

Also...
"pricing does not include TV monitors and
mounting brackets."

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Defibrillator. In case one of the lawyers drops dead.

Scs100

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Crew

Danny

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's is great ideal Scs100! Our Michigan educational System need some more upgrade on technology for the 21st Century. Why do the Neo-Cons ever think of that, OH YEAH because they're so busy using our lottery money to build a exercise room in the State Capital. Granholm is furious about it that she wants to partially shut down the legislature to prevent that use of out tax dollars to fulfill the Neo-Cons greedy hearts.

Scs100

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Gym: $86,000.

A lot of iPods: $349.99 X However many kids go to school in the state.

Maybe both won't happen. Who knows...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3776
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use the money to invest in a donut shop instead. With all those law enforcement types that could turn a surplus for the state.

Note that article does not mention $86K, only $58K for equipment to create a 'work out room' from an existing room that just happens to be on the same floor as Cox's 7th floor office.

If they want exercise, maybe they should remove the elevators.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$86k for gym right now = a really bad idea...

an ipod for every kid in Michigan = a really, REALLY bad f*cking idea..

thank you

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story is largely false.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there are some nice work out facilities at MSU, just down Grand River. They should use those since they are already state-owned.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What does ZOL AED for $1900.00 mean?

What's wrong with buying an automated external defibrillator? At least it's a life-saving device.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about investing in the mind before the body, if you get my hint.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 10, 2007)

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I suspect that if Cox were a DEMOCRAT, PerfectGentleman wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as "largely false"?

Just an observation.....

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope he didn't use "snopes" to check it out...he assures us that snopes has a "lefist bias"...

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If our economy wasn't in the sad shape it is, I wouldn't be quiet as opposed to this idea. However, given the state of things, this seems like a really bad idea.

It would seem to me that there would be some state owned facility (such as MSU) that could suffice for this purpose. If not, I would think that the A.G. for the state could approach a local YMCA, Powerhouse, World Gym, whatever, and get them to negotiate a favorable annual membership rate for the people in question.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The I-Pod thing will never happen. And I'm know for a fact there are weight training facilities at the State Police training area in the Lansing area off of I-96 and Lansing Road. It is a quick drive from downtown Lansing for these agents of Cox's to use the State Police facilities.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cox was on WJR this morning, and a gym is being built with donated money left over from the inaugural that was not used. The amount is about 29 grand and the gym will be used for police officers.

The Free Press article appears to have been based on a press release sent out by the Democrats, which is clearly an attempt to distract people from focusing on the iPod issue. The document behind the link was a quotation, nothing more.

I guess if one of you can contain your glee long enough to prove Cox is lying about all of this, then I would condemn it as well. I have no problem criticizing Republicans, I am against waste on both sides.

This is not the story that was told by the Democrats so that is why I said it was "largely false." Sigh...

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on April 10, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you're pro-good government and not necessarily pro-Republican government or pro-Democratic government, than you're all right with me, Perfect. Sorry to jump on ya, but you shoulda said why you were calling it false. I, literally, just woke up, so I didn't hear that report. But don't you think it's odd that Cox's spokespeople wouldn't have mentioned this when contacted by Jennifer Dixon? Sounds like damage control to me.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so much fun. Lies! Exaggerations! Cadence! My pork is much more important than your pork!

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what that spokesperson said:

"Hills said the Attorney General's Office has yet to determine where the funding will come from in its budget, or how much the gym will end up costing."

The bottom line is no state money will be used. Zero. When one of you can prove otherwise instead of making asinine comments then I might listen.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgen, you need a new screen name.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Cox's office determined after the outrage erupted, not before it when coming up with this plan, that it would use nontaxpayer money to buy this stuff? That makes sense. Again, wouldn't you think if they were using nontaxpayer money for this, they woulda said so? I mean, there'd be no story in that case.
Although it's still sad that Cox cares more about getting ripped than about the jobs of more than 20 people in a state with high unemployment.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on April 10, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk -
Another baseless charge. To know that you would have to produce Cox's budget showing that he intended to use state money. Do that and maybe you will have a credible argument. Or continue on your rant, this is getting boring...

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob said it best above, if they're too stupid to locate a gym closer to them in Lansing, there is always one available in the state police school in Delta Twsp (and it's not as if it will be used since two-penny jenny cancelled the latest class).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gym would be in the Attorney General's Office in Lansing, the story says. Being in the same building is pretty darn close.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with ya Crew!

Perfectgentleman, you seem to be neither.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not offended at all by Perfect. This is what democracy's all about. As long as he bases his arguments on facts or reputable sources, I totally respect his opinion. I think he's a valuable member of this forum.
KING DANNY, on the other hand, just tosses around "neocon"-and-race-loaded remarks with no basis in reality, let alone fact.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 463
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk - Thanx - ditto.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we need to hear what Karl thinks of this.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last post by PG i read he was endorsing Karl's post saying liberals support dismembering babies. PG don't be too subtle tell us what you really think.

Danny

Post Number: 5779
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk

You didn't understand my codespeak!

I have left the space between two sentences

One sentences says All Neo-Cons in Michigan must be recalled. The time is now for a Democratic Michigan Legislature!

and the other Mike Cox wants to eliminate 21 of his employees so that he could use our tax money to build a exercise room in the State Capital. REPUGNANT! He should have used his own money to join a any fitness club

Those are two different sentences with 2 different subjects.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.