Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Gun Shots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How often do you hear gun shots in your neighborhood?

What are the areas most likely to hear gun shots?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never heard one here. Safe in the suburbs.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in Detroit, we heard shots each night. I would count them to guess the gun type. On News Years, I recorded the neighbor shooting off his Uzi in full auto. We moved out of Detroit when a mad gunman walked down our street and murdered 4 people at our bank because they were white. I have not heard one shot since.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only heard gunshots on New Years and/or 4th of July...I'm in the burbs too. But I know it happens everywhere, including Warren where I live. I know that times are getting desperate here, but wish that people knew that shooting another human being is not the answer.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, do you have proof of this story?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not since I moved out of Detroit. Used to hear gunfire around when we lived in the Warrendale area.
One New Year's there were a bunch of off duty black police shooting it up across the street from our house. The woman living there had a brother on the force- " Detroit's Finest" alright. A-holes

Swbaby12345

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue--where did you used to live?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swbaby..Detroit as an infant (1949), Lathrup Village, Pleasant Ridge, Berkley, Washington Twp, Grand Rapids, Mt. Clemens, Fraser, Roseville and now Warren. This covers my entire 57 years LOL

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived near Mack/Marseilles on the Grosse Pointe side I would hear gunshots about once/month on average, and for a pretty prolonged period on new years eve. This is within a few blocks of Balduck Park, and other fields, so on/around the 4th of July, it was hard to discern what was gunplay and what was fireworks.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I've moved to Midtown [years ago] I haven't heard any gunshots... I used to hear gunshots from time to time in Saginaw [and I saw one shooting there]. I did see someone running around with a gun as he was chased by the police but no shots were fired.

0 times in Detroit
probably 4 times in Saginaw

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Bulletmagnet's story...

I have no reference, but within the past ten or fifteen years there was a young black guy on the east side (toward Harper Woods?) who shot dead some citizens in/around a bank. I recall that he too was shot dead, but uncertain if this was suicide or by police. At some point he was reported to have said that he wanted to kill white people. Someone with archieval resources will have to take it from here.

When I lived on the west side (Fenkell) we'd hear gunfire every night, but seldom during the day. On New Years at midnight we'd stand with the front door open and hear a hail of buckshot raining down on the cars and awnings. I sure don't miss those days.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shooting you are thinking of happened on March 11, 1997, in a Comerica branch on the east side:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9703/11/ briefs.pm/detroit.shoot/index. html?eref=sitesearch

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't hear many gunshots, but I hear drunken or drugged-out yelling on a weekly basis.
I'm in New Center right on the border with Virginia Park. In the year that I've lived here, I think I've heard them maybe four times. Granted, that's four times too many.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly that bank rampage was, on Morang near Kelly Road.

When I lived four houses from 8 Mile in Warren, in the late 90's. I could sit on my back porch almost every night in the summer and hear gun shots off in the distance. Sometimes they would sound real close. Of course Wizard's arcade was only a block away and there would always be some kind of fight spilling out of there into 8 Mile.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort & Schaefer

Yes, I heard gunfire; once a month, some months were more frequent. The reports sounded very close to home, innumerable shots, not just one or two shots.

For the most part this gunfire was heard in broad daylight, I’m an early bird; I would say I heard the majority of the gunfire in the afternoon to early evening.

New News Eve was literally non-stop gunfire for 10-15 minutes. The reports I heard that evening were from just about every type of gun and rifle, handguns engaged in some type of shooting contest with what sounded like battle rifles, back and forth, back and forth.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the research Salvadordelmundo. We lived about a block from that bank Swbaby12345, and were in there 24 hours before the murders took place, to refinance our house. The loan officer was killed. A Detroit Police Cadet was shot in the face and severely wounded, but survived. I don’t want to rehash the story, but the motivation was racist. I was at work when the story broke, and my wife was home with our two small kids. It was the last of many straws; drive by shootings into our property, fire bombings at the neighbors house, drug dealing across the street, B & E's all around us, stray dogs (pit bull, rottweiler), beat downs, a drunk set afire, my wife holding our infant son assaulted by a gang of preteens, and more. We left for all of those reasons, but the bank murders pushed us out. We both lived in Detroit all of our lives up to that point, and it took a lot to make us leave. But we will never go back, and no, I havn't heard a shot since.
BTW, I will see if I can convert the tape mentioned above to MP3 and post it. (Any help out there?)
Bullet

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live not far from 23 Mile and I hear them all the time. Sunday target shooting and especially during rifle season.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe gives you the occasional gunshot, but not many (4th of July and New Years excepted).

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During leaves, when I visited my parents I heard gun fire at night many times. (SWD between Fort St. and Vernor). Most were never followed by any police response (no sirens). And yes I can tell the difference between fire crackers and weapon reports.

One summer my sister (who lived next door to my parents) while washing dishes in her kitchen. Witnessed a young man walk up to the house across the street pull out a hand gun and deliver 8-10 rounds then calmly walk past and down the street. (Dark hooded sweat shirt, dark jeans, running shoes. Not much to go on.)

It took the police 30 min to an hour to respond and a day for the gang squad to show up. They collected the spent shells (it must have been an automatic) interviewed the neighbors, who never heard anymore about it. No news, no one hit, no one caught.

There was more then one house on our street with bullet holes in it.

After I returned from the first Gulf War I seemed to have noticed the gun fire more, I guess I was more in tuned to it then. My family had grown use to it as they didn't react to it as I did. To them it was not a big deal. I was on my guard the whole time I was home and did not enjoy a good deep sleep until I left. (I had slept better in the desert).

Most times when I visited home I carried my own weapon, (Legally of course) and kept it close by.

I can say that SWD was/is a dangerous place. (More so then I am used to).

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt, thank you for your service to our country, you are a great American. There has been more than one Vet who returned home from war only to face the enemy on the street. The stories are all the sadder when we find out they served in combat, only to die here. It is typical, the story you tell of your home in SW Detroit. This is the biggest (not the only) reason why we moved out of Detroit. A person in the burbs discharging a firearm most likely will be caught and charged. In Detroit it's no big deal. Thanks again.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to hear them in my Rosedale Park home occasionally. Was very close to the corner of Grand River and Warwick, so I was hearing the Grand River action I suppose.

Moved to Las Vegas in 1984, bought a home at Flamingo and Boulder Highway. But over the years the neighborhood began to deteriorate, and I'd hear "Echos of Rosedale" on occasion over the last four or five years.

Finally had enough so had a new home built last year in a 55+ community in Henderson, and I have peace and quiet once again. I love quiet. Old farts tend to be like that.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at Forest and Second from 02-03 and I'd hear gunshots occasionally but never too close. One night I was walking with a friend down Alexandrine to the Majestic and I heard two shots that were way too close for comfort.

After that I moved by St. Hedwig's Church, near Michigan and Junction and I'd hear them a lot more often, but they were usually coming from the other side of Michigan where all the crack spots were. One time I was walking my dog and talking to a girl from one of my classes on the phone convincing her that I lived in a safe area when someone lit off a 10 round clip. Luckily it was the beginning of July and I was able to convince her that it was just firecrackers.

Craig

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet - I wish that the rah-rah crowd on other threads could read your post. There seem to be many who disbelieve the hardships and harrowing experiences that have hit people who've chosen to leave. Personally, I've been vilified here and elsewhere for daring to say that I've been traumatized and will never willingly subject my family to what I've seen. The anger and "we're not coming back" mentality of many now outside of the City is the product of years of observation and abuse. I have no solution, but count on those bitten once to be shy twice.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon Craig, you know that sooner or later the "it happens everywhere" and "per capita is a meaningless stat" crowd will arrive soon. Your personal trauma is an isolated incident. You take it too personally. Or so we've been told.

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up near the Detroit/Southfield border, on the southeast corner of 8 Mile and Southfield, and I heard gunshots (and yes, I can tell the difference between backfires, firecrackers, and anything else and gunshots) and I heard them pretty much weekly. Now how nearby they were is a different story because they were almost never clear enough to make me cringe or look for cover, just a couple of drive-bys on my street in my 21 years living there. Just got used to it after a while.

Sean

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived at John R and Ferry for 18 months and just heard gunshots for the first time last week. I lived in Woodbridge (Commonwealth and Merrick) for the year prior to living on Ferry, and I heard gunshots about every other week.

I know bad things happen in Detroit (and everywhere else) all the time, but I can't help feeling really safe where I live. I'm not a total Pollyanna, but I think I might be optimistic to a fault!

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been in Brush Park for almost 2 years and never heard gunshots. Like Lakesuperior I feel very safe here.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up until last week I heard gunshots on almost a daily basis from my home. Actually just last week I heard about 10 shots and I'm pretty sure it was coming from the next block. The shooting really seems to die down in the Springtime, after April I only hear them occasionally.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know I really miss hearing the gun shots in the early morning about sun rise most days and then through the early afternoon on weekend days. When I lived near Lake St Clair the sound of the duck hunters greeting the new day through the fall hunting season was just a part of life. Now I can't remember the last time I heard shots since I live in Detroit. I will be sure to let you know when I do hear gun fire in Corktown though.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Craig

Like I predicted.

This would fall under the "it happens everywhere" category. It just needed its own thread.

Craig

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds - as someone wiser than me once said: non are so blind as those WHO WILL NOT SEE. Thanks for the aircover.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BANG!

Swbaby12345

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjo- what street were you on? What school do you go to?

Swbaby12345

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How far away do you guys think you can hear a gun shot from?

1st_sgt

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on the terrain (open fields, buildings, trees, hills, ect) the weather (wind ,low clouds, humidity, ect.) Caliber of the weapon ( 22, 45, 50, 155 mm, 8 inch) direction the round was fired.
Lots of things.
If you can here it and you did not fire it, then it is too close.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever there are shots out this way I'm usually the cause. For some reason there has been a rabies out break lately. In the past 8 months I have disposed of a raccoon,squirrel,and ground hog.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of urban fireworks on the big holidays when i was at prentis and 2nd, occurances are pretty rare to nonexistant in the art center neighborhood.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you can here it and you did not fire it, then it is too close."

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt would know, along with anyone who has spent anytime around the types of weapons he has.
My experience also tells me that there is some validity to the saying "you never hear the round that kills you", though!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4219
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What goes up must come down.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My experience also tells me that there is some validity to the saying "you never hear the round that kills you", though!"

Only if bullet hits a serious vital (head/neck/spine) or with enough force that the shock itself is lethal or knocks you out.
I would venture to say that in most shootings this is not the case. Even if the heart or lungs are destroyed there is still a short delay before your brain quits functioning. (*** Warning getting a little gruesome here...) I've seen large wild animals (Deer, hogs, etc) run close to 100 yards without a functioning heart. Things don't always fall over dead after they are shot, nor do they fly through the air like on TV.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^agreed regardless of what you see on t.v. very rarely do you have a instant kill. Even a head-shot with hollowpoints that basically explode the brain on contact, said target still twitches and gasps for a few. It's not pretty to say the least.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Occasionally hear distant gunshots, last week heard the first ones close by (that double shooting at the gas station on Warren and Trumbull was five blocks away.) Found a bullet that had fallen from above in the deck of the house we're fixing up.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny5 an Bevis-

You guys ever been in the military in combat? The rounds that I have seen contact humans put them down almost instantly. Yeah, they spasmed a bit after being hit (maybe 10 secs), but if you can fire a weapon with any accuracy, you'll knock them dead every time. One shot, one kill! The military uses hardball ammo, and the impact is pretty severe, depending on the distance and conditions and location of the round at impact. Often just the hydrostatic shock of the impact renders the person being shot helpless if it is in a vital area. I believe that fear has a lot to do with it, too.

That being said, I also agree that an animal is totally different in it's response to being hit. They have an uncanny ability to run after their hearts have ben blown out. Not humans, except for those I've seen take rounds that have been on pcp or some other wierd kind of drug.

Perhaps 1st_sgt could add his experience here?

Brushparkbub
Username: Brushparkbub

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have heard gunshots maybe 3 times since moving to brush park 3 years ago. but i haven't heard a single shot in the past year. i do hear construction constantly.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I think we're all comparing apples to oranges to watermelons =). Of course with high powered rifle rounds you are going to have more deaths related to the shock of the round making contact, but these types of weapons account for a very small number of "shootings" (Unless you're in Baghdad of course).

1st_sgt

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I have never been shot so I have no first hand experience.

The Purple Heart medal was one of the two I did not want to win. (The other was the POW medal).

Knock on wood I have yet to see some one get shot/ wounded up close. Seeing it far away is not great either.

A .22 or a .177 pellet even a BB can be deadly.

One shot one kill with a .308 (7.62 NATO) to the head will kill every time.

My experience is:
I now duck when a balloon pops. My stomach hurts if fireworks go off without my prior knowledge. Again if I hear it and am not on a range or with some one I am hunting with right next to me, then it is too close for comfort.

Have you noticed while looked at pictures of Civil War dead, that most have had their clothes opened and ruffled? Shirts pulled up and out? Pants opened and skin exposed?

They were checking themselves for their wounds, even after being hit with a .58 cal round. They did not die on impact.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Have you noticed while looked at pictures of Civil War dead, that most have had their clothes opened and ruffled? Shirts pulled up and out? Pants opened and skin exposed?

They were checking themselves for their wounds, even after being hit with a .58 cal round. They did not die on impact".

The bodies also tended to get looted by both sides.

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear them about once a week. Strangely, I almost always hear them on a Saturday night.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, all, but I spent some time in S.A., particularly El Salvador, Grenada and Panama. I did not mean to be so presumptuous as to assume that you folks had, and I didn't mean to imply anything with my question to Johnny5 or Beavis. I also never was awarded a Purple Heart or the POW Medal and am grateful as well. I did work for EMS for a year and a half, so, unfortunately, I have seen these things. EMS was usually doa types,as it took a few minutes for us to get there!

I saw quite a bit in the military, and it had a profound impact on me to say the least as I was in charge and couldn't do a thing to stop it. I had just received my "butter bars". Talk about feeling helpless!

Gunshots also trouble me, as do firecracker reports or anything that "pops" suddenly. I had to laugh when a friend of mine asked me in a bar one night what it was like to be in a firefight. I had to explain that I really couldn't tell him, as I was using my helmet for a shovel and couldn't get low enough to the ground, although I was already lying on it!! I never really looked up at all!! Anyone that says that they love that stuff or that they weren't scared $hit$$$$ is either crazy or stupid, in my opinion.

I agree with the clothes assessment that was given as well. Not only that, but most of those pictures were taken after a couple of days after the battles and the bodies had been lying in the sun or heat, undergoing some decomp. Enough though, as this is about hearing shots in the 'hood, not my experiences. Just trying to add some personal experience, not conjecture.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5791
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit,

You can here gun shots all over the suburbs. But not that quick.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.