Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Quick Question Detroiters « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I'll be in Detroit next week. I haven't been since last April, so I'm happy. I like to walk around the downtown of every city I visit.

1. I feel safe walking around downtown Detroit during the day, or least it felt fine last time. Is it relatively safe to walk around during the night time?

I'm not some wuss, I just want to know.

This isn't meant to start some goddamn firestorm over safety or race or any of that crap, its just a question.

2. What streets comprise Indian Village, I am very interested in seeing it this time.

Thanks in advance for all serious answers.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seminole, Iroquois, and Burns between Jefferson and Mack on the east side.

Lookie here: http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=208&categ ory=locations

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Downtown is alright to walk in at night?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Very subjective question. I've never had a problem walking around downtown at night, but it also depends where in downtown you are. There's a huge difference between, say, Greektown and Capitol Park.

2. Seminole, Iroquois and Burns between Jefferson and Mack.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Yes, just as safe as during the day. A lot of places will have more foot traffic at night, i.e. around the theatres, within a few blocks of Greektown. I don't think you'd neccesarily get yourself in trouble, but a trip into Capitol Park might be the only thing I wouldn't do late at night.

2. Seminole, Iroquois, and Burns, from Jefferson to Mack. Parker and Van Dyke are, formally, West Village but still relatively prestigous. If you want to see more mansions, continue east on Jefferson to Grosse Pointe Park. Turn right on Barrington (first street in GP Park), follow it to its end at Windmill Pointe Drive, and then follow WP Dr. northeast back to Jefferson. Once back at Jefferson, you can go left and back to downtown, or right and continue on to Lakeshore Drive.

Enjoy your trip.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I didn't think I'd have a problem. We'll stay out of Capitol Park.

My reason for asking was people say that sometimes there's trouble outside the "clubs". Don't want to be around for some huge problem.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might also want to check out Field and E. Grand Blvd., especially between Vernor and Mack. The housing stock isn't as "rich" as in Indian Village, but it's still one of my favourite parts of the SE side.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must visit Capitol Park. it is one of the most well defined street wall parks in downtown Detroit. Milwaukee you will def. be fine in Capitol Park at night. In all honestly it is probably one of the best lit areas downtown. You would prob. def. prefer going there in the day though. Simply make sure that you don't give anyone your camera to 'take a picture of you.' Don't forget to visit Detroit Mercy (if you have enough time)!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, I can't believe you'd criticize Detroit over crime and race this way.

Or not.

Made you look...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2665
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park has been sort of villified, even in the media, because of the bus depot being there. I still recommend seeing it, for the reasons Charlotte mentioned; at least drive down Griswold. Nobody's saying you'll neccesarily get in trouble, it's just if you had to put your finger on one shady area downtown, this is it. On the other hand, it is open, kind of well lit, and there are usually a decent amount of people there.

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I strolled through Capitol Park a homeless man accused my friend and I as being cops and started yelling to everyone, "Watch out for these guys!"

Don't go through the alley behind the Farwell building, the smell of urine and human feces is intense.

I've never had a problem there, day or night.

(Message edited by bohemianrobot on April 08, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee: Will you be here on a Thursday evening, so that you can come out to the weekly FSC gathering? If so, check out https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/93017.html?1176041 579 for the date you're here and see where we'll be!! Come see us!!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5196
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park, perfect spelling by everyone, is a historical place in Detroit. jjaba buys his watches down there. If you want a deal on a Rolex, ask for Fluke. He's got an arm full of selection. Jonesie sells earrings and hair combs.

Another thing about Capitol Park is the pure Detroit abandonment of it. A bus terminal with two people waiting for buses and two buses an hour going out empty.

Compared to the 1950s and before when this place was alive, the Grand River electric feeder buses lined up in bays running every 3 minutes to the signals of the uniformed starters.

jjaba.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, there are not many people walking downtown Detroit from Grand Circus , south on Woodward. I don't think that I'd walk down there. Now, Greektown and that vicinity....this may be OK. Anywhere else, may be a mugging just waiting to happen.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5197
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady is right about vacant sidewalks on Woodward Avenue. Look at the size of the streets, the huge sidewalks and think about shoppers wall to wall along there.

jjaba has never been accosted along there.

jjaba was trained to be a Wrigley's cashier in the Farwell Bldg., 1956. Wrigley's had a mock up of a checkstand there and you went for a short course in how to run a check-out line.

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the pre-bar code days. Jjaba must have had quick fingers to bam on those register keys all day long........:-)

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 696
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Detroit has 37% less crime than the national average. http://www.tedconline.com/uplo ads/Downtown_Detroit_Crime_Stu dy_2006.pdfI

I walk around by myself during the day and at night. I'm not saying nothing ever happens but I feel safe walking around anytime.
I might not walk through Capitol Park...but more too avoid being hassled for money than cuz I think I'll get mugged..but also there isn't really a reason too.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of ironic that most of the problems in downtown Detroit after dark have occurred in the most prominent, most trafficked (sp?), etc... Greektown, Woodward...

Capitol Park is fine at night. You'll get the homeless guy or gally insisting to give you the American Flag tooth pick in exchange for $20, $50, $100, $25,000 but that's about the only nuissance.

Here is the 2005-2006 downtown crime report that was done to set the record straight on downtown crime. I show it to people who insist that they are going to be murdered, chopped into pieces, burned at the stake, and ashes eaten the moment the set foot in downtown Detroit.

http://www.tedconline.com/uplo ads/DMCVB_June_Final_Report.pd f

My own personal word-to-the wise: You can walk around anywhere in greater downtown at any time of day (24 hour period) with the same precautions you would take in any big city. Personally, I don't have a reason to be around the Chrysler and Lodge Freeways, so a block or 2 inward from those corridors are typically my night time limits. Just use street smarts and you'll be fine.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yah and welcome back!! We love having visitors. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.