Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What an Absolutely Beautiful Freak April Snowstorm « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8904
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sitting here working on the third floor of my client's 'loft' at the corner of 11 Mile and Main in Royal Joke...and this springtime blizzard is completely filling his SE wall of windows.

I cannot see a full block in any direction, and cannot remember this beautiful of a snowstorm outside of the mountains (while waiting for the green light to ski through some fresh powder).

Wow. Sorry for anyone who has to DRIVE through this BS...just in time for the late Friday rush hour.

Gannon

Post Number: 8905
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the world, the stuff sticking to his deck looks like FAKE Hollywood snow...kinda styrofoamy.

Weird.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were sitting in China Ruby in Ferndale eating dinner and saw the snow coming down sideways. My cookie said "tonight you will get lucky" We'll see.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was up on the sixth floor of Angell Hall on U of M's campus and the snow was falling upwards. Fo'real.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. interesting how all these comments come from outside the city boundaries. 'Detroit' is a region, folks.

pps. or did it just not snow in the CoD today?

(Message edited by gsgeorge on April 06, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about that, but it is strange how the weather north of 8 mile always tends to differ than south of 8 mile. I wonder what the reason is for that? I know all the lakes out by West Bloomfield have a tendency to cool the air going through that area.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are those pesky Instability Lake Effect Snow Showers. They commonly produce low visibilty, heavy bursts of snow, and a strong gust a wind. There however are uncommon this time of year (due to the sun angle and time of year completely). Howeve,rwith the 20 degree temps in place moving under unfrozen water (courtesy of recent record heat) is creating numerous snow showers and squalls. They will be enhanced tnoghit and Saturday by a trough (elongated low pressure area) and some lake moisture and Cyclonic flow from a low Pressure center not too far off in Canada generally producing similar conditions as this evening.

The reason in the difference in weather is that it's somewhat better moisture, wind flow, and dynamics across the north. Also, good upper level banding taking place along this trough. However, everyone in SE Michigan will take part in one of these snow showers sometime within the next 24 hours. Until then....

Urbanize, your DetroitYes WeatherMan.

Urbanize

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEXT WEEK is when we can talk about real Snowstorms (TWICE). First, Tuesday thru Thursday, a strong Low will affect the Great Lakes and Midwest with ample moisture. Depending on the track of this system will determine what type of precip we see. Folks on the cold side will se significant snowfall. folks borderlined will see Ice and folks on the warm side will see rain. I think all of us in SE Michigan will see a bit of everything with temps rising to around 40F by Wednesday and Thursday.

Then there's the weekend. One of the Models bring a Very Strong Low through the Ohio River. AMple moisture will be associated with it. Depending on the depth of the cold air and the immediate track, we could be looking at a real significant April snowstorm. I will inform y'all more on it in the future if y'all like.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been under either blizzard warnings or winter storm warnings since Wednesday......still under one til 12pm tomorrow. Blowing snow, white-out conditions, black ice on the roads....they are telling people not to travel if they dont have too. Good ole' Lake Michigan!

20's during the day and teens at night,,,,gotta love Spring in Michigan

Urbanize

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, areas closest to the lake are getting Clobberd with nearly feet of snow (as Miss Cleo stated).

Urbanize

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not sure about that, but it is strange how the weather north of 8 mile always tends to differ than south of 8 mile. I wonder what the reason is for that? I know all the lakes out by West Bloomfield have a tendency to cool the air going through that area."

Glad you mention that. Did you know when Severe weather is affecting the area, it weakens as it heads to the Eastside then restrengthens once over into canada. That is Courtesy of an extra boost of lift or Instability from The Lakes. This isn't always the case. The TEcumseh Tornado proved that and the Valentine Storm from this year.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 06, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 06, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The C of D just recieved a couple intense snow squalls in the last hour. Back in GP now and the grass is a little white.

It's just wrong the way that flowers started blooming, and now they are lying dead on the ground with Easter coming up.

I don't know if any of you have heard but parts of the UP have just gotten 40 inches of snow.

Urbanize, keep us apprised.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were driving north up 75 from downriver and you know that cool spot were you get a great view of the city and the bridge ? It was like the city had vanished. Barely visible. As we got closer to home it started to flurry...by the time we exited at 375 and Lafayette it was crazy.
Then it stopped.

Urbanize

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We were driving north up 75 from downriver and you know that cool spot were you get a great view of the city and the bridge ? It was like the city had vanished. Barely visible. As we got closer to home it started to flurry...by the time we exited at 375 and Lafayette it was crazy.
Then it stopped."

That's typical of Lake effect SNow. They work like Summer Time Thunderstorms.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 906
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still cold, but sunny here in Chicago. Good to be on this side of the lake.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the blizzard was going to hit Altoona, Phil.

Urbanize

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Very intense bad looks li,eit will be affecting the City (particularly the west side) over the next 5-10 minute4s along with one affecting areas in the NE suburbs of Detroit.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I like your weather reporting. Do we get lake effects in the summer? Why is it different on the Wild West side? What is the meaning of life?

Urbanize

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize, I like your weather reporting. Do we get lake effects in the summer? Why is it different on the Wild West side? What is the meaning of life?"

Good questions, I'll answer them in order.

-I assume you're asking about snow. No we do not get Lake Effect during the Summer. The reason why is you need sharp air mass convergence. Since it's Warm over Warm, you really can't get that air convergence due to the lack of colder Air Aloft. However, WE can get Lake Breeze Fronts during when the sun heats the surface and causes Air mixing in the atmosphere. These on hot summer days can sometime cause Thunderstorms to pop up in isolated areas. Also, like I mentioned earlier, they can even help boost lift for diminishing thunderstorms according to the wind direction (for example, when a weakening line of storms crosses into canada from MI and the Wind is blowing from the S or W off of St Clair, Erie, or Huron, it causes better air forcing into the clouds and they restrengthen

-The weather can be biased in many different ways. It all has to do wherever the best dynamics set up. THe "Wild West Side" sometimes never picks up anything while the East Side gets clobbered because that's where the better dynamics has set up (moisture, air convergence, etc.)

-Just to enjoy every bit of it that you have.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, did you get any pics of the snow? :-)

Looked good over here.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

75 degrees, light wind, blue skies. The motorcycle and I are going out for a ride tomorrow......

Urbanize

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"75 degrees, light wind, blue skies. The motorcycle and I are going out for a ride tomorrow......"

Where do you live Douglasm?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the mountains of northern New Mexico. After many days in the 60s there, a few inches of the white stuff are predicted for tonight. Glad to be back in the high desert.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful to look at this freaky snowstorm...but icky to drive in. Beware if you go out driving tonight..or walking for that matter. Thin layer of ice on walks and roads in the City of Warren.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One good outcome of this early February weather is not having to endure many bombardments from the-sky-is-falling global-warming doom and gloom political scientists, at least at the local or regional level.

Unfortunately, the first warm spell will revive those consensus cockroaches and their ilk.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 06, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8858
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately, the first warm spell will revive those consensus cockroaches and their ilk.

No different than a cold spring day to bring out the naysayers. Funny how that logic works.

* I think the GW zealots like Gore or full of nonsense, just pointing out situation with your statement.

Urbanize

Post Number: 683
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It' another active morning. Two different snow squalls are back to back with each other moving from NNW to SSE. One is just south of I-69 and another is knocking on the 8 Mile rd. corridor's steps.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No different than a cold spring day to bring out the naysayers. Funny how that logic works.

Let's see... Detroit (along with most of the Upper Midwest and the Northeast) had a rather bitterly cold February and much of March. Check the weather bureau data (or consult your heating bills).

Lately, it'll be over a week where the temps resemble those of those coldest expected temps in January. The 30-year average temps for the third and fourth weeks of January have temps near 17 for average lows and 30 for highs.

Our temps this week and those predicted for next week will be some twenty degrees below average. As I stated--those temps expected for the second week of January or the first week of February. And this is an El Nino year (presumably warmer than normal).

Face it. Global warming is a mythical belief of those easily swayed or those who simply want to believe it. If we had long periods of time during the summer where the temps were twenty degrees above normal (with lows over 90 and with highs in the mid 100s every day), we'd be hearing global warming BS for months afterwards as proof positive about global warming.

Yet, when the long bitterly cold periods occur, those very same global warming whackos are nowhere to be seen or heard.

Just notice how quiet they are at present, especially those in the eastern half to 2/3 of the US. They're so silent one would be able to hear crickets (err, that is if it were globally warm enough for crickets to be out chirping and survive).

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 07, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, must this thread be hijacked into another DetroitYES global warming debate? I suppose it was inevitable.

Urbanize, thanks for all the weather info. I used to live amidst "the lakes" and always had different weather than friends West or South of them.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still snowing up here, white-out conditions, day 4....about a foot+ on the ground.

Whats on the ground down yonder?

Urbanize

Post Number: 685
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just generally dustings to as much as an inch 1) Because the bands aren't as persistant 2) The Sun angle just causes the snow to melt anyway. However, we have seen Whiteout conditions in the heavier snow showers and squalls though. May be a bit more sun today down here though compared to previous days. Of course, that's adding insult to injury when it comes to the snow showers and squalls, as it provide extra lift or instability for them. As a matter of fact, were seeig a moderate to heavy snow in my neighborhood headed right toward Downtown Detroit.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 07, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's blizzin here in Downtown

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It snowed here yesterday. It all melted as soon as it hit the ground though. This sucks, it was literally in the high 70's not even two weeks ago and now its the 30's. That's the Great Lakes for you.

Urbanize

Post Number: 687
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had 81 for two days here (record highs both days and hottest place in the country). One of them of course was the day we had that Severe weather in Detroit.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2653
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We really need to seperate weather from global warming. This is a rare April cold snap; not rare in that it is below freezing and snowing in April, but in that it will last over a week and is providing multiple days of snow, including copious amounts up north. It does not erase the fact that over the last 150 years, there has been a steady upward trend in global temperatures; you can debate somewhere else the extent to which human activity has caused this...and I feel it is a debate. But a week of really cold weather in the eastern US does not change the fact that for some reason, the globe is warming. So let's cut the shit.

The only larger climatological issues that a week-long cold snap MAY have an effect on is things like Great Lakes water levels, stream/river levels (because of heavy snow up north), and ground temperatures as we head into the growing season. We may not even average below normal temperatures for the month of April, because, if things go like they did in March, the second half of the month could be balmy.

Tetsua, is that from the C of D this morning? Looks like somewhere got a little more snow from the most recent burst then we did here on the far east side.

Urbanize

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The band really filled in as it came over Downtown. it was sort of unorganizing as it came through the eastside (although straight as it came through areas west of Woodward).

Urbanize

Post Number: 690
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"http://radar.weather.gov/radar .php?rid=dtx&product=N0R&overl ay=11101111&loop=no"

here's a radar image of it. Click "Loop" next to "Composite Refletivity" for the past 30-60 Min movement of the squalls. Click refresh to get a updated image.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh that was an impressive band, Urbanize. The snowflakes were impressively large with it. Will any more bands like that pass through today?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw: up to 52 inches now in Phoenix, MI and 45 inches in Marquette.

Urbanize

Post Number: 691
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do expect another round to develop as we had from the mid afternoon hours into the evening courtesy of daytime heating. They should be slightly more of the cellular form rather than banding form. However, conditions inside of them will generally be the same as the ones we saw this morning (reduced visibility, very fat snowflakes). Just when you see ominous thunderstorm looking clouds brewing to you NNW, you know your area is in for it.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No white Christmas for the first time in six years last Christmas, but it looks like we're in for a white Easter.

I read that a lot of areas in the UP recieved more snow since Thursday than they did in the entire month of December.

Urbanize

Post Number: 692
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relatively, I think detroit may only sqeauk 20 inches before the season is over (last I check, it was only 11 not including the valentine day snowstorm).

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to deliver newspapers in it. We'd see how lovely you would think it was if you had my job.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack-

Three feet, according to news Four!!!

Urbanize

Post Number: 693
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You don't have to deliver newspapers in it. We'd see how lovely you would think it was if you had my job."

http://www.wunderground.com/bl og/wfreeck/show.html

Hey, if you guys can write novels on a object with an engine and wheels, I can surely discuss the weather going on.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /158/408299305_f8d1eb3d0c_b.jp g
I like your weather stuff Urbanize:-)

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on April 07, 2007)

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on April 07, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 695
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photo Bullet. I know it's the City of Detroit, but is it the Morningside community I'm looking at? I hope that ain't the neighborhood I think it is. Thank you for the compliment. That stuff hasn't been updated unfortunately.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tetsua, is that from the C of D this morning? Looks like somewhere got a little more snow from the most recent burst then we did here on the far east side.

That pic was taken in Midtown at about 11:30am

Urbanize

Post Number: 696
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOHHHH, that behind Kerby Field by the Mack/Moross area. Ok. Ty Bullet.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, lets see if our forums sleuths can figure out where that snap REALLY was taken at.

Douglasm

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanise.....

"The Apple Capital Of The World and The Buckle of The Power Belt Of The Great Northwest"

I'm quoting the masthead of the local paper, The Wenatchee (WA) Daily World. Were in the dead center of the state. 150 miles east of Seattle, 150 miles west of Spokane, and about 160 miles from both the Canadian and Oregon borders. Much better than Jjaba's Portland.....

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tetsua.

Bullet, that looks familiar. About 10 blocks from where I'm sitting now at the parent's house. Actually, the first year of my life was spent in that neighborhood. What time was that? It must have been before I woke up this morning :-)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 939
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe, somewhere.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe Farms. A block off of Mack. Just south of Kerby.

Bullet's got the eastside covered.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you nailed it. You did too, Urbanize. To be fair, the photo was taken a month ago, on March 2nd.Very similar squall came through and disappeared as quickly as it came.

Scs100

Post Number: 726
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good shot Bullet. Not too far from me. Nice to see what the points went through while I was downtown.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.....and people wonder why I moved to Las Vegas. Sheesh.

temps

Urbanize

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee had something in another topic that Las Vegas will run out of water in the next 2-6 years. Don't come running back to the water when y'all run out Ray.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the Prince fans out there...

Tracy died soon after a long fought civil war,
just after I'd wiped away his last tear
I guess he's better off than he was before,
A whole lot better off than the fools he left here
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because he was my only friend
Those kind of cars don't pass u every day
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because I wanted to see him again,
But sometimes sometimes life ain't always the way...

Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish life was never ending,
and all good things, they say, never last

Springtime was always my favorite time of year,
A time 4 lovers holding hands in the rain
Now springtime only reminds me of Tracy's tears
Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain
He used 2 say so strong unafraid to die
Unafraid of the death that left me hypnotized
No, staring at his picture I realized
No one could cry the way my Tracy cried

Sometimes I feel so bad
Sometimes, sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
And all good things, they say, never last

I often dream of heaven and I know that Tracy's there
I know that he has found another friend
Maybe he's found the answer 2 all the April snow
Maybe one day I'll see my Tracy again

Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
But all good things, they say, never last

All good things that say, never last
And love, it isn't love until it's past

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Milwaukee had something in another topic that Las Vegas will run out of water in the next 2-6 years. Don't come running back to the water when y'all run out Ray."

We have plenty of water. What we got is too many people.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I should clarify that statement. Las Vegas is not going to be able to sustain its population in 2 to 6 years if it continues to grow at the rate that it is. Las Vegas could have 3 million people in 10 years.

The current water supply couldn't provide for 3 million people. It certainly won't be able to in 10 years.

If Las Vegas took up a policy of smart growth and put a growth ring on the city, it could possibly survive many more years. The thing is, that ain't happening. There is uncontrolled and unmanaged growth. It's as though nobody ever thought that a city needs water.

If Las Vegas is going to survive, they've got to cut down on current water consumption, lower their population, and prevent any more wasteful growth.

Douglasm

Post Number: 807
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we get to fight with someone else over our Columbia River water.....

Seems like water is becoming more and more of an issue. When I lived in Colorado, Denver was looking for more and water rights ownership was a big thing in the San Luis Valley. There you could own the land but legally couldn't sink a well without the rights. Here in Washington, we have irrigation, salmon, Californians and hydro plants all fighting for share of the big river...

(Message edited by douglasm on April 07, 2007)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Las Vegas will be getting water from anybody in the region. Water's more precious than gold or oil, Las Vegas would go broke trying to buy all that water for the city.

Las Vegas needs to find a new source and quick. If it doesn't find one, the people are just going to have to leave.

I will fight to the death to protect my beloved Great Lakes.

Douglasm

Post Number: 808
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wife just asked me a similar question. Is there a water allocation plan for the Great Lakes?

Urbanize

Post Number: 714
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NWS says locally 2 inches is possible along a Waterford-Troy-Detroit line through 10 PM tonight. You all know your outdoor winter weather rules so I'm not wasting my energy.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have been getting 2-5 inches everyday for 4 days now, 2 total inches cracks me up anymore. Make it STOP, as my kids keep yelling out the window! lol

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wife just asked me a similar question. Is there a water allocation plan for the Great Lakes?"

Not to worry, the water in the great lakes will never leave the watershed. Small exceptions have been made in Akron and Chicago, but overall, it will stay where it is. There's a pact between the provinces and the states on the lakes.

I know this because it is a huge issue in metro Milwaukee. Milwaukee County has the water, suburban fast growing Waukesha doesn't. You can't survive with out water!

Urbanize

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. This is something for us. WEre not like y'all, sitting on the edge of a lake (at least a LES producing lake). Earlier this year, some of us got 2-4 inches courtesy of LES, which is rather unusual.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard about a 20 car pile up on US 23 near Fenton. Sorry, Gannon, I vote for "not beautiful" for the freak snow.

Urbanize

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I did promise a second round of snow for us.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the LES is truly something to behold up here. Damn, never saw anything close to this downstate. It is a *machine* as they like to call it on the news!

But, enough is enough, after the 60's we had, this just seems wrong. But I think I live in the wrong place to complain about it!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And last night a friend reported that on I-696 out near Orchard Lake Rd., cars were at a total standstill for about 10 minutes waiting for the whiteout squall to pass over. Crazy weather!!!

Urbanize

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were getting it hard on the NE side of the city right now. To be frank, the snow is quickly sticking on the road and sounds like it's mixing in with sleet (I can hear it on the Window Pane). Of course, Snow/Sleet is always worse than Snow alone.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In April of (I'm pretty sure it was) 1978 we had a terrible ice storm. Knocked the city out for a week or more. Insane.

I mostly remember because we went to see Roxy Music at the Masonic Temple the night before the storm and it was horrible out, we came home and the storm it, a tree blocked my driveway and my then boyfriend/now husband had to stay till the branches and power lines were cleaned out.

In other words, this is nothing. It could be much worse.

Two years ago we had snow into May.

Urbanize

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. It appears a repetitive band is forming. If that's the case, areas within that band (along and near a Waterford-Troy-Detroit line) could see plenty of weather this evening.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oy. snow on forsythia. I'm praying for the forsythia.

Gannon

Post Number: 8913
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,

quote:

Sorry, Gannon, I vote for "not beautiful" for the freak snow.

Heya, NOT Mutha Nature's fault the humans fuck things up again. They were likely driving in a pack, too fast for conditions, it is amazing it doesn't happen every snowy week.

Actually, it does, on US23 at Clyde Road, I think. The one with the Mobil station. Fellow put his towing company at that intersection BECAUSE there were accidents at that spot weekly...rain, fog, or snow.

Whatever, mere humans messed up what is still in my memory a beautiful thing.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked out of church at 10:30 to an horribly intense northerly wind coming down through Eastern Market, and an ice and snow-dusted sidewalk. There's enough snow to completely cover the once-green grass here in SE Det/GP right now. I don't think this is what everyone hoped for after we missed the white Christmas.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

day 5 of snow up here, still coming down

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize-
Curious what you use for your weather? I'm a bit of a weather dork, but I don't know all the technical stuff. You use wunderground? I know accuweather allows you to purchase different levels of "access" to their radars and such.

I think that lack of white Christmas was my doing. Sorry about that :-) Seriously though, I live in CA and miss the winters (lived in Idaho and Michigan as a kid). In 2003 and 2004 I went to Idaho and we didn't have white christmases. In 2005 I was in Chicago. NO snow. In 2006 I came to Detroit. Oops. Jinxed it again. Meanwhile while the rest of my family was in Idaho, they finally had a big snow Christmas eve day. Bastards.

I swear I jinx stuff. One is snow when I actually want it. Another is I always somehow seem to miss thunderstorms in Chicago and Detroit during the summer. Always hot and humid, never the storms. The other is any time the Wings actually are on TV out here :-)

Urbanize

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use both wunderground and NWS, but mostly NWS for the technical stuff. If you're a real weather dork, you would know to avoid AccuWeather at all costs except graphics.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/produc t.php?site=mqt&product=PNS&iss uedby=MQT&glossary=1

They've finished with as much as 65" of snow in the UP.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5771
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God is going to crank up the heat for the midwest by this weekend, Then Spring will be here.

Scs100

Post Number: 738
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to disappoint Danny, but only mid 40s through Tuesday.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is that damned global warming when you need it. I'm on vacation next week.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Accuweather is bad? Huh. I don't like I can't zoom in closer on the NWS radars. I like that about wunderground....

Urbanize

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can if you put it into motion Jerome. AccuWEather's radars aren't very sensitive, but I do like their premium offered graphics.

Douglasm

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have spoken too soon. We're expecting 4 to 8 inches of snow in the Cascade passes today. Glad I'm not in Cleveland, though.....

Has there been any mention on what the weather has done to the cherry crop in the Grand Traverse region? I'm assuming they're in bloom about now. I know a frost here in my little town would be a killer right now.....

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, things are not in bloom yet, still buds on the trees. There was talk that if the weather didnt break the buds would be damaged. Things might be ok except for the crops in the low areas.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo, when should I put out my Pot(ed) plants? I want some nice buds, if you know what I mean. (JK)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont put them out yet if you live in the North, more snow expected Wednesday.....I am thinking late April/May

Urbanize

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a issue for us in SE. Now we will be on the just warm enough portion of the low for rain/snow mix to rain by evening. Issue is, the intensity is expected to be so storng with other cold air players coming into play tomorrow could create wet, but heavy snow for us at periods that will stick. However, there's no strong high in place to steer the system further south. None the less, the cit is expecting around an inch of snow, 1-4 in between Detroit and Flint, with Flint expecting 2-4 inches and Saginaw about 4-8 inches. Areas near the Ohio Border likely won't see much if any accumulation.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winter storm watch Wed afternoon through Thursday...8 inches expected here in the North....sheesh, looks like we will go from winter to summer and skip Spring this year. Bad news for the fruit farmers up here.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been upgraded to a winter storm warning through Thursday afternoon. The Great Lakes snow machine is at it again!

Urbanize

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has nothing to do with the machine, it is all convective, heavy wet synoptic snowfall. WE can go from that briefly to thunderstorms later this afternoon.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah right, I am 10 min off Lake Michigan, cold air over the Lake = LES

and I am sure you must know, most LES up here doesnt even show up on the radar.

(Message edited by miss cleo on April 11, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, let me explain that. You usually can't get true "LES" with these types of systems. You usually need a much calmer weather system to bring lake effect snow because it would just shred the poor things to pieces since they're not very dense. However, there is Lake Enhancement to the Synoptic snow out there. Besides, if it was LES, they would of issues a LES Waring instead of a WINTER STORM Warning.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You usually need a much calmer weather system to bring lake effect snow

hhhhmmmm, I wonder how we had the LESW last week with the 35 mpr wind then?

LES with 35+ winds, now thats a storm

We would be getting hammered at points over the past winter and the weatherman would tell us we were only going to get about an inch when we really got 5-6.....didnt show up on the radar either. LES is unpredictable, it happens when and where it wants, often out of the blue with no prior warning. I have seen it happen

Urbanize

Post Number: 780
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Upper Levels Cleo, not surface. Besides, how can you get lake effect when the wind is blowing from the ESE?

Urbanize

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/showsi gwx.php?warnzone=MIZ019&warnco unty=MIC029&firewxzone=MIZ019& local_place1=Charlevoix&produc t1=Winter+Storm+Warning

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/foreca st/MapClick.php?CityName=Charl evoix&state=MI&site=APX

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the wind is to switch to the wnw this evening..unless my weatherman is lying to me....you can post all the links you want, you cant argue with what I see out my window with my own eyes....or I guess you can, if you feel like it, still doesnt change what is going on outside my window.

Urbanize

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, whatever you believe. So I guess the severe weather you see doing the summer is caused by moisture from the lakes.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever I believe? Thats funny! How about whatever I SEE? Guess I am not to believe what I see out my own window cause you say different?

and yes,moisture in the air creates all weather

How about you worry about your weather and I will tell you whats going on 450 miles north of you?

Urbanize

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WRONG! Severe weather is caused by the moisture from the gulf of Mexico. If anything, the cool lake waters can even wane the thunderstorms. That is why we hardly get any.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake effect snow, which can be a type of snowsquall, is produced in the winter when cold, arctic winds move across long expanses of warmer lake water, providing energy and picking up water vapor which freezes and is deposited on the lee shores. This effect is enhanced when the moving air mass is uplifted by the orographic effect of higher elevations on the downwind shores. This uplifting can produce narrow, but very intense bands of precipitation, which deposit at a rate of many inches of snow each hour and often bringing copious snowfall totals. The areas affected by lake effect snow are called snowbelts. This effect occurs in many locations throughout the world, mostly in the Northern Hemisphere, but is best known in the populated areas of the Great Lakes of North America.

If the air temperature is not low enough to keep the precipitation frozen, it falls as lake effect rain. In order for lake effect rain or snow to form, the air moving across the lake must be cooler than the surface air (which is likely to be near the temperature of the water surface). Specifically, the air temperature at the altitude where the air pressure is 850 mb should be 13°C lower than the temperature of the air at the surface. Lake effect occurring when the air at 850 mb is much colder than the water surface can produce thundersnow, snow showers accompanied by lightning and thunder (due to the larger amount of energy available from the increased instability).

Urbanize

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need warm, moist air to create thunderstorms and a strong lifting mechanism (such as a cold front). The most a lake can do (only during the daytime) is enhance the storms due to the Lake Breeze Fronts that form.

Urbanize

Post Number: 786
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wind speed needs to be light enough across the lake in order for moisture convergence to occur.

With strong Low Pressure centers (like today), you typically have STRONG WINDS and that can limit the moisture from the lake reaching the cloud. The system itself has a lot of dynamics and moisture from THE GULF to produce Heavy system snow.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The upcoming northern michigan snowstorm is not lake effect snow!

Saginaw and Mt. Pleasant are expecting 4-8 inches of snow, and they are not in a lake effect snow belt. The snow from this system will be widespread and not localized. The moisture is coming up from the south, the cold air is in place in the north. Proof? We will see a steady rain and perhaps some snowflakes here in Detroit this afternoon.

Quozl

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thunderstorms form when significant condensation—resulting in the production of a wide range of water droplets and ice crystals—occurs in an atmosphere that is unstable and supports deep, rapid upward motion. This often occurs in the presence of three conditions: sufficient moisture accumulated in the lower atmosphere, reflected by high temperatures; a significant fall in air temperature with increasing height, known as a steep adiabatic lapse rate; and a force such as mechanical convergence along a cold front to focus the lift.

The process to initiate vertical lifting can be caused by:

(1) unequal warming of the surface of the Earth,

(2) orographic lifting due to topographic obstruction of air flow, and

(3) dynamic lifting because of the presence of a frontal zone.

Urbanize

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Mackinaw. However, Miss Cleo still refuses to believe that.

We know about thunderstorms Quozl, my remark was sarcasm.

Quozl

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We know about thunderstorms Quozl, my remark was sarcasm.

Oh, okay Urbanize. Kinda hard to tell sometimes. Nice weather here BTW, high of 82 today, perfect day to vacuum the pool and take a dip!

Urbanize

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at these.

"MIZ063-068>070-075-076-082-08 3-122015-
ST. CLAIR-LIVINGSTON-OAKLAND-MACOM B-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONR OE-
404 PM EDT WED APR 11 2007

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR LOCATIONS ALONG AND SOUTH OF
M-59.

.DAY ONE...THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT

THERE IS A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS THIS EVENING INTO TONIGHT.
SEVERE WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED WITH THESE STORMS. ANY
THUNDERSTORM THAT DOES DEVELOP WILL HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO PRODUCE
PEA SIZED HAIL...WIND GUSTS TO 45 MPH AND HEAVY RAINFALL.
THUNDERSTORM MOVEMENT WILL BE TO THE NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

LOW PRESSURE WILL TRACK THROUGH SOUTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN TONIGHT
AND THUS THE REASON FOR THE CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS."

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus /centgrtlakes_loop.php

The storms being watched are the ones over Eastern Illinois. They have had warnings so far, but shouldn't be nearly as intense due to weaker instability here in SE Michigan. Click refresh for an up to date loop.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.