Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » St Marons and the Lebanese Community « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok ...the original St Marons was replaced in the 60's or 50's? at St Jean ..What happening with original families?

Gibran

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry for for the post .. I should have sent it to Detroit and I will.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was Saint Maron? My family is Uke and I have cousins without a drop of Lebanese named Maron.

Gibran

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the original Saints of the Church...Maron is most likely a derivative of Marion....I believe if my memory serves me MAron was a hermit Monk in Lebanon and revitalized the church ...It is one of the churches that speak Aramaic, the original language of early Christians and Jesus.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gibran. Now, how in the heck did this guy's name get adopted by people so far away?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is one of the churches that speak Aramaic, the original language of early Christians and Jesus.

Then is there much difference between that religion and that of the Chaldeans of Syria or Iraq?

Gibran

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that they are similar...there are Maronite's in Syria and Israel/Palestine. But got to remember there were so many off shoots of early Chritians in the region. The Maronite's aligned themselves with Rome for help in the 1800's during a civil war that ultimately lead to immigration to the USA.

Gibran

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will get some research this week and get back to yah. I do know that Maronite's turned to Rome early on for protection and France was in charge of them. In Syria and Palestine/Israel there were Christian towns of Maronite's and similar faiths... One big Mosaic of original Christian churches in the region. Many moved and settled in USA and Australia.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the detroit site for St. Maron's

Gibran

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is right behind the Police station on St. Jean ...near Jefferson..I think ,,,it has been a few years since I was there last.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think St Maron and St Sharbel are the two most popular Lebanese saints. Isn't the church at Kercheval and St Jean ?

Gibran

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes thanks...i was baptized there...

Ron_saad

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant I thought there was another site for St. Maron/Sharbel forums.
My Brother is a Chor Bishop for the Maronite rite.

Gibran

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron I accidently started in the connect forum.

We can start one there..it would be interesting to get a thread started on actual families and friends of St. Marons...but then again many could be our relatives... :}

Ron_saad

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Under what title in Connect.
We are all related.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when St. Maron's was built...must have been in the early Sixties. I went to school with a lot of Lebanese kids (their last names were Joseph, Michaels, Simon)at St. Ambrose,and they were all excited that they finally had church of their own. I always wondered why their last names sounded like first names. Any clues?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.