Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Inner City Transit routes. Connecting the dots. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the shopping thread, we talked about linking Detroit's inner city areas together, to provide auto-free transport between the different areas. Here are two route ideas I have. Let me know what you guys think.

EAST-WEST CENTRAL CONNECTOR
Route will start at Venor Hwy and Clark. From there, the route will operate along Venor Highway to Grand Blvd, Grand Blvd to Bagley, Bagley to Rosa Parks, Rosa Parks to Michigan Ave, Michigan Ave to Monroe, Monroe to Brush, Brush to Gratiot, Gratior to Russel Street, Russel Street to Mack Ave, Mack Ave to I-75, I-75 to Warren, Warren to Woodward, Woodward to Grand Ave. Circle through New Center.

This route will connect Mexican Town, Corktown, Downtown Detroit, Greektown, Eastern Market, The Cultural District, and New Center.

BUSES WILL OPERATE EVERY 15MIN.

NORTH-SOUTH CONNECTOR

Woodward Ave buses between New Center and downtown Detroit, will be marketed with special 15MIN OR BETTER service at all times. Buses will have special stops located along Woodward Ave. Connections between the two connector services will be made at Campus Martius.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike would you post the Indy info from the other thread here? I think this deserves its own thread.

These routes should be small, frequent and FREE. Detroit could follow this model fairly cheaply. Then folks who work or live near downtown, SW Detroit, Wayne State or Midtown would have more easy choices for lunch, dinner and entertainment. Each area would benefit by making the whole more available. Private financing by the entertainment industry and downtown businesses might help make it work.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free may be a little too much to ask...but low cost anyway...and maybe a monthly pass type thing for those who would use it frequently. Several major cities I've been to have these "trolleys" that are actually buses that make the circuit around the city. I think they are actually run by Gray Line or some other private company, but subsidized by sponsor companies.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktownmark, Indianapolis which probably has worse transit then Detroit, has two loops for the central inner city downtown area. Here is the info. I am sure a route like this in Detroit could work. Some info.
----
Details about the Blue Line Circulator:

Look for the special IndyGo Blue Line Free Downtown Circulator bus stop signs – they include the logo and a map of the circulator’s route.

Buses run from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., 7-days a week.
The Blue Line runs every 10 minutes.

Click here for the map of the route.

http://www.indygo.net/images/b lueline-map-large2.gif

Downtown Convenience with the new Red Line!

Monday – Saturday · 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Connectivity:

Commute to work or school via IndyGo’s 28 fixed routes and use the convenience of the FREE Red Line to connect to the IUPUI Campus.
Use the Red Line to visit Downtown for lunch, dinner, meetings and entertainment. Hop on the Blue Line (via Ohio Street stops) to explore even more of the city.

Indiana Avenue District, Canal Walk access, Indianapolis City Market, Wholesale District, Indiana Government Center, Indiana History Center

Two shuttles operate on a 15-minute frequency

Click for route map

http://www.indygo.net/images/r edlinemap_large.gif

Click below for a quick ride on the shuttle. I think you guys will like this video. Just think if Detroit did this.

http://web.bsu.edu/capic/cultu ralindy/video/cdshopping.html

And this one talks more about the bus. Check it out

http://web.bsu.edu/capic/cultu ralindy/video/cdentertainment. html)

(Message edited by miketoronto on April 06, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a good hub and spoke system in our region; with a crosstown routes on Warren and Livernois. How many folks would use a larger loop to avoid a transfer? For example to go from Mexicantown to Downtown via New Center and Eastern Market would take much longer and be less direct than say hopping on the Vernor bus. My initial reaction would be not many; but it might be preferable on cold days!

Miketoronto

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think these routes should be more then just tourist trolley type routes. While connecting the cultural areas together, these routes should also be viable transit for residents of the inner city.
I am sorry, but people living in midtown or New center do not need to drive downtown. Yet they do, because transit on Woodward is not marketed properly, and does not have service so to speak that people know will come at the proper times.

So by having two designated routes that offer good service, etc. It could work.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner you would not have to ride the loop. Riders from Mexicantown to downtown would get a direct ride. Riders going from downtown to Eastern Market, get a direct ride. Riders going from Mexicantown to Eastern Market, get a direct ride, through downtown.

People from New centre wanting to go to Eastern Market, get a direct ride.

You get the idea? People from Mexicantown to New Centre, won't use this route. They would transfer at Campus Martius to the Woodward service, to go right up there.

So the route serves different riders needs. Its not that you have to ride the entire route from end to end.

You need new routes that are marketed and offer a good base service. People are not hopping on the Venor bus now, except those that have no choice.
The current route network does not attract choice inner city riders for the most part.

I know people who have lived in midtown and do not use DDOT to go downtown, because the service is considered unreliable, etc.

Properly marketed inner city routes that people know go to such and such a place, and run every 15min, etc, will attract people.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I don't get it. Why the additional service on Woodward? Don't buses already travel every 5 minutes or so on Woodward?

A good first step for "marketing" would be changing the bus stop signs, posting route numbers instead of the absurd "No Standing", and perhaps schedules and maps.

With that said, Cleveland has two free circulator routes to get people around downtown, and from what I hear, they seem to work pretty well.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4312
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once I was bored in a meeting a drew up a re-alignment of the NHL into North and South Conferences instead of listening to the speaker drone on about mission statements and shifting paradigms. Good times.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say, let Matty Moroun and a group of private investors put together a plan for regional light rail. He has plenty of money and doesn't mind spending it in Detroit. He could build out the lines along the main streets recently mentioned for study, including AA. And as an incentive they could tie-in at the CBD and link to his new bridge project. With that link, he could add a shuttle between the two countries, create a new revenue stream and alleviate some of the traffic congestion problems that come with a project of this magnitude.

Hardly any City/State dollars and private control. What more can you ask for.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk sums this up pretty well. Miketoronto is proposing a system that's only marginally different than what we already have. Brilliant!

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an excellent idea. Now make the route 24-hours, and we make living in the greater downtown neighborhoods without a car that much easier.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seattle's bus system is free within the downtown core, even on routes that extend out of downtown. Lots of riders all of the time, in a town with lots of shopping, offices, tourist attractions, cultural institutions, etc.

I read a blog on the Seattle Press-Intelligencer site by "Bus Chick." She posted about transit in Detroit. I think she hit the nail on the head.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource .com/buschick/archives/111601. asp

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two or three route idea connecting the major restaurant, entertainment and employment centers would be quite different then the current system. The current system envisions folks going and coming from malls and employment centers in the suburbs. This system envisions connecting more densely populated areas near downtown together. For use by folks going to lunch, dinner or meeting for drinks or attending shows and games.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.