Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Shooting at Warren and Trumbull « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone hear about this shooting last night? Here's the story

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/11533996/detail.html

Maybe it's just me hearing more about area crime, but does it seem like it's gone up lately around Woodbridge?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the man drove off on Warren Road."

Warren Avenue?

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the shots last night. It was around 8:30/9:00. I live 1 block away. I was getting my kids ready for bed and heard 4 distinct shots. It sounded like it was only a few doors down. So I imagine it must have been a pretty powerful weapon.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5752
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS. I have watched a black Detroit male died in the ghetto beneath his pride.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8882
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we should NEVER let our pride get above us.

(sorry Danny, couldn't resist)

Doesn't matter what their race was before they chose to kill each other...not one whit.

Another senseless death in the city of second chances...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um just for the record, no died as a result of this shooting (yet)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on the radio the other day that we (Detroit) is 7th or 8th on the list of most homicide deaths this year - where in the past we were first, second or third. Does anyone know anything about this?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read that Philly is having a lot of bloodshed this year - they recorded their 100th homicide two or three weeks earlier than last year.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS. I have watched a black Detroit male died in the ghetto beneath his pride.

Too bad we can't have a racist killing racist.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11459
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A month or so ago it was reported that homicides were down 27% thus far this year. As for those that have actually been reported, there have been around 30 reported. Obviously, many go unreported. Down 27% for the year would put us at about 300 homicides, which would mean there have actually been about 75 to date.

In all honesty, this trend for the year will get little publicity. The paper, tv, and people want to hear the gory details about how 5 people were killed in 24 hours, they won't tune in to hear that crime has significantly dropped, thus it goes unreported.

As for crime around Woodbridge, it's been about the same since I've lived here. A couple gunpoint mugging a year, often students walking to and from WSU, a few waves where wheels get stolen off cars, some stolen cars, and a throw in some B&E's for good measure. In all honesty, I'd venture to say that downtown likely sees a higher rate of crime, and I perceive downtown as just as safe as most suburbs.

It would be nice to end this year with Detroit being nowhere near the top of the murder list. Dropping below perhaps even 5 would get us far enough out of the light so as it would erase a little bit more of our negative reputation by many.

Whenever you think that crime is on the rise simply because you seem to be reading and hearing more about it in the news, remember this, Detroit was over 400 homicides last year. That's a touch over an average of 1 homicide per day. If you wanna talk numbers, Chicago was even higher. So in reality, you could be reading about a homicide almost every day in the paper or while watching the news. So take your information you get from the media with a grain of salt. Listen more closely to the actual statistics when reported.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dropping below perhaps even 5 would get us far enough out of the light so as it would erase a little bit more of our negative reputation by many."

There was a clip of some guy shooting into a strip club on Michigan Avenue here in NYC on the local news. If that clip infiltrated NYC local news then I can guess it will go nationwide within a day or two. I know shit happens, but it seems like the country is fascinated with only reporting the bad things that happen in and around Detroit.

Yesterday on Pardon the Interruption (ESPN) they were talking about another unruly crowd at the Palace.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That clip of the shooting on Michigan Ave. was shown on Fox News this morning - it already has gone national.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In all honesty, I'd venture to say that downtown likely sees a higher rate of crime, and I perceive downtown as just as safe as most suburbs.

Whenever you think that crime is on the rise simply because you seem to be reading and hearing more about it in the news, remember this, Detroit was over 400 homicides last year. That's a touch over an average of 1 homicide per day. If you wanna talk numbers, Chicago was even higher. So in reality, you could be reading about a homicide almost every day in the paper or while watching the news. So take your information you get from the media with a grain of salt. Listen more closely to the actual statistics when reported.

(Message edited by dabirch on April 06, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8891
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping he just has his head in the sand.

Looks like it could be a clean break, too.

Looks like handcuffs near where his head used to be...curious.

Y'all play ROUGH in Orange County, doncha?! Prolly some dude unknowingly drifting into some radical surfer gang's turf. Surfer's turf...wtf?!

Shame Manrooter isn't around...can we just imagine the quip?!

What shooting on Michigan Avenue?! Which Strip Club? I know a manager of one of 'em...

Supersport

Post Number: 11463
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

What do you care, you don't live here. You and DannycakesinDC are like one in the same now.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We heard the shots last night 5 blocks away, we don't hear many gunshots and rarely this close, very unsettling!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ain't gonna get rid of me that easily Sport.

But thanks for trying.

Supersport

Post Number: 11464
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

Come on man, your other sand box is all back up and running, go play over there. :-)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you just love that ghetto school of thought that the only way to end an argument is to shoot the other guy? Can't walk away, can't punch him in the nose, can't call a lawyer. Nope, gotta shoot him.
I hope the issue they were fighting over was really important.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Obviously, many go unreported.

quote:

Listen more closely to the actual statistics when reported

So you're telling me to listen closely to stats that are obviously wrong?

Supersport

Post Number: 11465
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stats when they come from the city, such as when Ella Bully Cummings announces that homicides are down 27%.

Too many people read about a few well publicized homicides reported, ignore the statistics, then question whether crime is on the rise or not. Was that clear enough for ya?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, because you stated there are unreported homicides, therefore the stats are wrong, no matter if they are reported by EBC or the media.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.