Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Renaming Jefferson Ave. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what would be involved in something like this, and I'm not sure how people might react to the suggestion, but I was pondering the idea of renaming Jefferson Ave. to highlight the street and the city's status as a waterfront city...

I was thinking, for example, about how Chicago and also Gross Pointe have "Lakeshore Dr." and how it's a prestigious address to have...

I don't know...maybe something like Riverfront Drive...

I know it's small potatoes, but it could make the avenue more attractive in the long term to land developers and businesses who can print the name on their cards and websites than a somewhat boring name like "Jefferson"...

Just a thought

(Message edited by thejesus on April 05, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater? Would that be a good name for it?

Thejesus

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Atwater II would get confusing

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the name Jefferson, but changing it to Lake Shore drive would be cool too. It turns into Lake Shore Drive in the GP's, so it might make the whole street sound nice.

If you wanted to give the east side or the riverfront an all new image, you could change the name to Lake Shore drive. Lake Shore drive in Milwaukee and in Chicago are both lined with high rise apartments. Imagine if Detroit could do the same!

Detroit has a smaller Gold Coast than Milwaukee and you guys are 2.5x as big!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking Riverfront Drive too

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore Drive would't make sense because it goes along a river, and most of the way the water isn't even in sight. Keep it Jefferson.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know...maybe something like Riverfront Drive"

That usually implys that the road is adjacent to the river/water. If you were to look at a map, you would notice that at NO POINT is East Jefferson next to the water. There are streets between Jefferson and the water most of the way from Woodward to Cadeiux. (except a short distance at the MacArthur Bridge)

West Jefferson is. Was this the section of road you were talking about? (I hope)

Thejesus

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Lakeshore wouldn't make sense...

But it could be called Riverfront or something like that for the stretch downtown that does run along the river...and still be called Jefferson elsewhere

As we learned with Comerica, image plays a role in business...

I'd for one would feel much more confident giving an out of town client my business's address in the 150 W. Riverfront Dr. building rather than the 150 W. Jefferson building...

(Message edited by thejesus on April 05, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 702
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging by the Atwater post, I would guess East Jefferson.

Thejesus

Post Number: 860
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip:

I'm referring to W Jefferson and the stretch of E Jefferson that runs downtown...

I know it doesn't run right along the water....I was looking at a map when this idea came to me...but it's basically on the Detroit River, and the most of the building there have an unobstructed view of the water...

It's just one of those little insignificant things that can magically make an area more attractive a property value go up...

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, you want something less boring as a name for the road and you come up with "Riverfront Drive"?

Not trying to pick on you here, but for the whole process of renaming a major thoroughfare and expense of everything involved with that, couldn't we be a little more creative?

Something that relates to the uniqueness of the area or along the lines of something historical. I don't know, just my two cents...

Just a guess here, but there's probably a "Riverfront Drive" in practically every town near a river across America.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How About Coleman A. Young Riverfront Drive

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the city council gets its hands on this idea it'll be "Maryann Mahaffey Drive."

How about "Sally Hemings Drive?"

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5176
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No river frontage, no Riverside Drive.
Mackinaw 2648 tells it like it tis.
Thomas Jefferson was a fine fellow in American history. What's the problem with him?

Terrible idea.
jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5177
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, Canada has one. Go to Windsor and enjoy that one.

jjaba.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 595
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we name it Jefferson ave? That's a great idea.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks the wrong street got named "Grand River". Oh, well.

Urbanize

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. There was a Grand River that ran under/along the route.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If no Grand River, there's no Grand River sub-station of the Detroit Times. Yikes, Ray1936!

jjaba, Westside newsboy.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people probably associate the street with George and Weezy more than they do Thomas.

How about naming that section "Weezy Way." It easily rolls of the tongue and I think it would be an easy sell.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a somewhat boring name like "Jefferson"...???"

Jefferson was anything but boring. What is boring are the names given shopping centers. Lake Shore and Riverfront sound more like shopping malls. I guess the stated reason for the renaming is commerce.

Jefferson was a scientific genius. Unlike an unnamed President, Jefferson could construct sentences. He wrote the Declaration of Independence which states that it is our duty to abolish governments that deny our rights. It says that governments only exist to secure our rights. Read a Jefferson inspired Lewis and Clark biography. This was the Jefferson who attacked Tripoli pirates and was accompanied to France by Sally Heming. Black and white Americans have Jefferson in their veins. Boring?

What crowded Jefferson out of public school lessons? Some greater person? Teaching self esteem?

Jefferson even had a hand in the laying out of the Northwest Territories, Michigan's base line, and Detroit's street layout. Renaming Jefferson Ave. "Riverfront Drive" would be like renaming Tiger Stadium something like...Comerica Park.

Scs100

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please don't turn this into a "We love Jefferson" thread. I don't want to recall other things that went on during his life.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeffersontown Ave?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riverside Drive

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S Mile Rd? (pronounced Smile ...Say nice things about Detroit?)

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100 - Tories and Federalists share your pain.

Scs100

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't hate the guy. I just hate the constant glorification of him. He was a good president. But I hate the non-stop praise of him. (And half of this is my world history teacher refusing to not stop talking about him).

As for the street names, I have to go with Rustics.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit would be a great city once again if only Jefferson had a snappy name. Vacantuneducatedunemployedform ermortorcity Drive rolls off the the tongue nicely.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribbon Farm Boulevard

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell Boileau Memorial Parkway?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know it's small potatoes, but it could make the avenue more attractive in the long term to land developers and businesses who can print the name on their cards and websites than a somewhat boring name like "Jefferson"...

I seriously doubt businesses or developers enter a streets name into the equation of whether to do business in an area. Unless streets name is shit stain avenue, they care more about traffic counts and demographics.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop the pointless renaming of everything.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with Shitstain Avenue? I hear it's a nice place actually, although I've noticed a lot of corn and beans there. Recently they had a power outage...well a brownout really.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Frank Hart- Stanley Knox Promenade would be nice

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please don't turn this into a "We love Jefferson" thread. I don't want to recall other things that went on during his life."

Okay. How about Millard Filmore Boulevard?

Scs100

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Ray1939! Nice. Really classic. (Truthfully)

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. There was a Grand River that ran under/along the route.

No. It was the road to the Grand River, Michigan's longest river

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could at least stick with the French heritage and call it "commande de rive;" "riverside drive" in English.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Mackinaw, you can't see the river so keep it Jefferson.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possible options...

Grosse Pointe Road
Detroit Avenue
Belle Isle Avenue
Detroit River Parkway (tear up all those surface lots and plant trees)
Renaissance Avenue
Wisconsin Avenue (One of Milwaukee's main streets in Michigan, you can pay us back) :-)

Urbanize

Post Number: 608
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like none of those (particularly the last one) We already have a street named after your city. Be grateful for that. HOW have y'all payed us back for it? MMM HMM.

Urbanize

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything (which I'm not hyped up about) they should rename Jefferson Riverside ave. or dr. or Riverview ave. or dr.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about:

Little Atwater?
Greater Atwater? :D

Oooo, I know, how about Rosa Parks Ave? We already have Rosa Parks Blvd, Rosa Parks Transit Center, and Rosa Parks Freeway.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking, [Thomas] Jefferson (already taken)
Coleman A. Young Hwy. (already thought of)
Riverfront (already thought of)
How 'bout E. Jefferson from Woodward on out Lakeshore Drive, and W. Jefferson form Woodward on out Biddle Ave? (yeah right!)
Chevrolet, anyone? (it could happen)
Grand Prix (Don't we have ENOUGH streets subtitled 'Grand' as it is?!?)
Monte Carlo (even worse, I'm bettin')
This is ALL lame, I know, but right now my brain is fried on this thread and I can't think of anything else. Other than that, I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5184
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, Riverview taken as Riverview Amusement Park on Lawrence Ave. in Chicago.

WAXX, Grand Prix is in Pontiac, sorry.
jjaba.

Urbanize

Post Number: 614
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, does "Riverside avenue or drive" sound better? I just naming suggestions here. There may be cross referencing with other cities. So what. At least they're decent names compared to Washington's Alphabet streets.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5186
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful urbanize. Detroit has lettered streets.
(Westside)
jjaba.

Urbanize

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Careful urbanize. Detroit has lettered streets."

There is a difference. Washington goes right in alphabetical order with theres down the whole list (B and K ave). We have more so "numerical" streets (7 Mile and 20 Mile).

Urbanize

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Careful urbanize. Detroit has lettered streets."

There is a difference. Washington goes right in alphabetical order with theres down the whole list (B and K ave). We have more so "numerical" streets (7 Mile and 20 Mile). I always thought that Detroit street names were unique in a way (some just lazy though).

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize you almost hit it!

-.5 Mile Road!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I don't care what people say... JEFFERSON AVE. has been there at least 150 years, possibly 200 years.

Before Judge Woodward laid out his downtown grid in 1805-06 the main road along the water was called "RIVER ROAD".

And since his grid, they called it Jefferson. We also have Adams, Washington, Monrue, and Madison streets in Detroit, all named after early presidents.

Thomas Jefferson was president of the USA when Judge Woodward designed the new Detroit street system. To change the name after nearly 2 centuries does a great disservice to a great president... who happened to be the author of the Declaration of Independence.

So Nuff said, leave it!!

Username: 48202

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have all missed the obvious.

Change the name to ITSJEFFerson Ave.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see how about

Emily Gail Drive
Kilpatrick Parkway
Basil Brown Blvd.
Dennis Archer Ave.
Kenneth Weiner Way
:-)
I agree with Gistok

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just a guess here, but there's probably a 'Riverfront Drive' in practically every town near a river across America."

Including Detroit...

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You have all missed the obvious.

Change the name to ITSJEFFerson Ave.

Well that's what we can call it here, whether it's official or not!

Panther036
Username: Panther036

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S Mile Rd? (pronounced Smile ...Say nice things about Detroit?)

-LMAO

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do we need to rename any street? Is there no respect for (Detroit) history here?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.