Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Has there been a lot of scientific/eng recruiting here? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Wyoming's been actively recruiting, but I haven't seen a lot of people looking for scientists and engineers, excepts for those wanting a lot of previous experience? Have I just been missing the ads? You'd think they'd be all over the place with the white collar layoffs here. Where are all these jobs going unfilled?
US reaches visa cap, skilled workers out of luck

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are at the colleges. I don't know about anywhere else in the region.

There is a company that is actually sending American entry level workers to India for 6 months to be trained and return here to work. There is a severe shortage of Americans in the sciences and it's only gonna get worse...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really skilled white-collar professionals know where the jobs are and can snap them up in the US--a country that doesn't turn out anywhere nearly enough capable employees. That why the H-1B visas are used so frequently.

Recruiters actually come to areas where the lesser qualified employees are situated and try to lure them with jobs and pass them on to employers willing to gamble on hiring the second or third string (or lower) players.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 06, 2007)

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

April 16-19, SAE, formerly the Society of Automotive Engineers, will have their annual conference in Detroit and southeastern Michigan. Approximately, 40,000 engineers, technicians and other technical personnel will attend many of the 100's of technical sessions. As part of the conference, companies can post employment openings in an area set aside for such. Many years, job openings fill the walls from ceiling to floor. Even with these difficult times, there are many positions available for good technical personnel. You just have to be networked because most are not advertised.

I have been enjoying reading the posts on this forum and can now participate directly. Thanks.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, a large number of the jobs in Wyoming are blue collar, and a person would have a better chance at landing a job like welders and pipefitters in Wyoming than engineering or computer professionals. Many of the jobs in Wyoming are in the oil, natural gas, and coal industries and require a lot of hands on blue collar work. For specific places to look, I would suggest Gillette or Sheridan in the Powder River Basin area. So nobody should be discouraged from checking for a job in Wyoming if they do not have a degree. A skilled trade would be highly applicable to many jobs.

I was born and raised in Wyandotte, my husband is from Wyoming, his family is still there. We're both computer professionals.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Detroit News: Visas are limited for skilled foreign workers.
quote:

by Anna Gorman / Los Angeles Times

High tech companies and other businesses are pushing Congress to increase the number of visas available for skilled foreign workers after immigration officials announced this week that the 65,000 visa cap was reached in a matter of hours.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services said they received more than 150,000 H-1B petitions Monday, the first day companies could apply. Applications received Tuesday have not been tallied....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.