Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Tiger's Owner Frank Navin: Burial site « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Navin began working for the Tigers in 1902 and, by 1920, owned the team. He died shortly after the Tigers won the 1935 World Championship. Where is he buried?
Thank you very much.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=725353 2

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Navin was, by 1935 part owner of the Tigers, Walter O. Briggs, the auto body manufacturing magnate owned the other portion, and bought Navin's interest in the team from his estate.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter O. Briggs is also buried at Holy Sepulchre:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=briggs &GSfn=walter&GSbyrel=all&GSdyr el=all&GSst=24&GScntry=4&GSob= n&GRid=7173281&

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Kathleen--"I did not know that"
interesting that they list him only as a major league baseball owner and make no mention of the considerable industry he owned or his contributions to the automobile business

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An historical aside: The Briggs family is buried in a sort of high-class community at Holy Sepulchre. There's a lot of the high-class names around them, as they were connected by blood or marriage to some important Detroit families.

Jane Briggs Hart and her husband, Senator Phil Hart, must have intended to to buried there with the family as they bought several gravesites.

But when the Senator died, the family had him either buried or his ashes buried on Mackinac Island. I guess that Jane Hart ended up there too.

So, the graves at Holy Sepulchre weren't needed and Jane Hart gave them to Msgr. Kern at Holy Trinity. He used them to give fine funerals to some of the poor and homeless that he ministered to. So, now if you walk among those high-class resting places of old Detroiter names, you'll see, sleeping closely, the headstones of poor Garcias and Gomezes who were born in some little town in Mexico and ended up in the high-class real estate.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Briggs family is buried in a sort of high-class community at Holy Sepulchre.

While the Briggs family was alive they lived in the Boston/Edison neighborhood in a still grand home at 700 Boston Blvd.

http://detroit1701.psc.isr.umi ch.edu/Walter%20Briggs%20Home. html

Southwestmap, thanks for sharing that story about the donated graves.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a kid in one of my undergraduate political science classes at DePaul a few years ago named Walter Briggs III. I never talked to him, but I wonder if there is a relation.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman: Anyone with a find-a-grave membership can add new listings, and it is up to them to provide whatever details they want. Some are seriously lacking in terms of the details, but at least they are entering the listings. It all depends on how interested they are in the person(s) they add to the database.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always find the navin Mausoleum by driving to the left past the lagoon and looking for the two tigers guarding it.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photos on the Findagrave page were taken by the one and only BeadGrl.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the pictures of his mausoleum were taken by me. I never knew who Frank Navin was til i happened to be driving around H.S. on the way home from work one day. (I'm morbid!)

Anyway, i was startled to find such beautiful bronze tigers guarding the mausoleum. Noting the name, i went home and looked up Navin on findagrave.com. I was excited to see that no one had posted pictures of the grave and took the opportunity to add them myself.

I called Yaktown (my boyfriend) and we visited the Navin site again and took some pictures.

If you happen to be at H.S., take some time to drive around and sight see. Unfortunately, the H.S. staff will not release information to the public about sites of graves. So you are on your own!

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The decorative details on the Navin Mausolium are by Corrado Parducci (who also did some bronze work there) while the tigers are by a well known (well - among those who know about this sort of thing) animalier Frederick Roth. eeeeek

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parducci also did the work on the Book Tower. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ategory:Buildings_with_sculptu re_by_Corrado_Parducci

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and if you go back to that list, category, actually, you'll discover that Frank Navin has been added. Life is good. eeeeeek

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4202
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Navin live at the corner of Woodward and and Edison???

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 486
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if Navin lived there; but there was a very large, gabled house on the SW corner of Edison and Woodward. I don't remember it ever being occupied. It was, as Mr. Aquil is wont to say, open to trespass and the elements. In my mind I still see it as a classic haunted house. The neighbors believed it to be beyond redemption and an unending hazard. One night it burned down.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There's a lot of the high-class names around them, as [the Briggs family] were connected by blood or marriage to some important Detroit families.

E.g., the Fishers

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little off-topic, but I remember when I was younger seeing a plaque outside either the lion cages indicating that the exhibit was donated by the Ford family, the tiger cage indicating that the exhibit was donated by the Navin family, or both. Does anyone remember these? I was at the zoo fairly recently (within the past year) and neither was there. I thought it was cool when I was younger, that the Tigers donated the real tigers or that the Lions donated the real lions, but now I can't find any trace of those signs. Any help would be appreciated.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Zoo connection on the Briggs side..."Briggs also helped found the Detroit Zoo in 1928, and personally paid for many of its first exhibits. " (Source: Coachbilt.com: http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/ b/briggs/briggs.htm)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.