Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Crowd erupts as school closures approved « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070404/NEW S01/70404062

Hooray for the Call em' Out Coalition, for proving once again they are a bunch of F_cking idiots.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 990
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some button-head threw a grape?? Oh jeez! Closing schools will be GOOD for the district and kids. Wish people would just realize that.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Monty Python gang do a sketch about protecting one's self from people armed with fresh fruit?
It does seem a good idea to close some of those old schools. Lofts @ Redford HS, anyone?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see their financial plan to keep all of those schools open on the enrollment they currently have..............

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that is what you call Detroit class. No wonder the kids act the same way.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True True. Why dont these people just accept the closings as the best option or try to come up with a solution, these kind of meetings should be closed door.

Whats funny to me is the president of the Call em' out coalition sitting there throwing grapes at board members. For this reason along with others I refuse to vote for anyone who associates with these idiots and that means you Sharon McPhail.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5333
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are obstructionist in every process. Some groups just happen to be particularly vocal. They are reactionaries by their very nature, and akin to the 'concern citizens' or 'church lady' groups that have too much time on their hands. Though, I'd much rather they be protesting and passionate about school closures than opposing a Hooters liquor license transfer if you know what I'm talking about. Actually, I'm not really mad at that group, either. I love democracy in action, regardless of how I feel about a particular cause. I'm not a fan of CEO, but I don't find them particularly any different than most modern community activist groups.

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 05, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grapes... YIKES... perhaps BAMN is taking up new tactics! :-)

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnsfoto- here ya go-How to defend yourself from fresh fruit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ByZqx30OvVs

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only should she have been removed from the building but she should have her children removed from her.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is really embarrassing that there is a group out there that presents itself with incidents like these. They are an embarrassment to the inner-city blacks and the City of Detroit. It certainly is ok to protest, but the school board has tough decisions to make in tough times. Bring down the ruckus!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 593
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another senseless drive by fruiting.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that one, Ed,,, funny
The meeting behavior unfortunately demonstrates why the system is depleting itself so quickly.. Seems like some people there need to go back to school to learn manners and respect.. They arent finding it in the DPS system. I can't blame parents for pulling their kids out when this is what their kids have to contend with. All children deserve better than this.

(Message edited by DetroitBill on April 05, 2007)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 991
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill: This craziness was NOT the work of DPS, it was the community. Please don't fault the schools (or teachers) for this. Teachers have nothing to do with what Call Em Out Coalition does. Most teachers don't support this group.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have been sour grapes!

What a great example for the Detroit (or any) youth to watch. An adult is supposed to have more restraint and be able to discuss without violence.

Grapes today, rocks over the overpass tomorrow.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I have to laugh to keep from crying. The high school I work at is closing.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We haven't done them, have we? Right. Bananas. How to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. Now you, come at me with this banana. Catch! Now, it's quite simple to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. First of all you force him to drop the banana; then, second, you eat the banana, thus disarming him. You have now rendered him 'elpless.

Palin:
Suppose he's got a bunch.

Sgt.:
Shut up.

Idle:
Suppose he's got a pointed stick.

Sgt.:
Shut up.

Transcript of Monty Python Self Defense against Fresh Fruit sketch here
http://www.jumpstation.ca/recr oom/comedy/python/banana.html

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grape-throwing incident made the national news on WWJ radio this morning, and Detroit will undoubtedly gain more unneeded publicity on both national and local tv tonight.
Obviously, closing any school is a very emotional issue, but there are some who just can't contain their emotions. Then there are the ignorant and the immature. Probably true of any crowd, anywhere.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the call em out coalition have an alternative plan? Or is it just keep all schools open no matter what?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Call 'Em Out Coalition...they're a grape bunch of guys...

Seriously, though, this is embarrassing...I spent years arguing with my suburban brethren, advocating the dismantling of the State-controlled school reform board (which by itself was an embarrassment and disaster) and pushed for a return to a democratically elected school board, where the community would determine who would represent their interests. No community should ever be disenfranchised. But for one to react to a decision they dont like by throwing things or creating a disturbance is uncalled for. There is the recall option...there is the ballot box. Sometimes, it makes me long for the school board meetings of Norman Drachler in the annex of the old Schools Center (Maccabees) Building, where things were so boring at times I often found myself dozing off (but even as I write this, I remember the demonstrations during that time too...sometimes memory can be very selective).

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that we have high expectations of the students in DPS when 47% of the adults in Det are illiterate. I don't even begin to have any answers for turning DPS around? Boorish behavior should be called out and I heard Councilman Kenyatta do that on WWJ today(criticising grape tosser).

fresh fruit not good enough for ya, eh.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the lady threw grapes at the Court Judge and she's happy with it. LOL. Careless and ignorant. Gotta love Detroit.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 47% illiteracy rate mentioned above is the result of a study at the University of Wisconsin some ten years ago. But, that rate then was 49%, I thought.

No matter. Even back before 2000, both Detroit daily newspapers stated that the adult population of Detroit was around 60% to 65% functionally illiterate and that rate was climbing. The rate was expected to climb when the more literate continue to flee the city. I wouldn't be surprised to find that very telling metric approaching 70% by now.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 05, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont worry folks, were one of the dumbest cities in the country with only 11% (last I check) of the pop. having degrees.

Funny, the city with the best library system in the country is labeled the dumbest.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitTeach, my apologies, I wasnt trying to single out the teachers by any means, sorry if my reference to the DPS was thought to be meant the teachers, I was refering actually to the functionality of the system, which is inturn its management. Most of the parents I know blame the DPS operations as being the culprit as to why their kids cant seem to get a good education. The recent meeting showed the inability of the people involved to conduct a civil meeting. Charging the "grape thrower" would certainly be a method to show the public this childish and ignorant behavior will not be tolerated.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070405/BLO G08/70405014&imw=Y

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5749
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everytime DPS loss a school building more Detroit parents send their children to those EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS. I wonder why that angry Detroit black parent threw grapes at the school board? Problably they need to be fruitful and find a way to clear their $400 Million dollar budget deficit. Soon DPS could be gobbled up by corporate control and that brings the question from some white folks for the burbs. How can black folks or other minorities can run the intire Detroit Public Schools even they can't run their hoods and the rest of Detroit? My answer is most of you white folks made the black race what it is today. Making them swallow their pride and turning them into argumentative monsters. Do I not mean to play RACE CARDS but the psychological hypothesis of the human mind by means of different races operates on both positive and negative history.

So we need some solutions, actions and results to turn DPS around from their financial debauchery. Detroit parents whether they its one mom, one dad or both or relative need to first change themselves. Get their kids to avoid the Hip Hop culture and their infallable brains into education. They can't go out into the world without a game plan. Detroit teachers and Detroit teachers from the suburbs need to stop blabbing to the board about reducing class room sizes or asking for more school surplies. They need to used whatever they have in the resources to face the 30 tp 50 crabby at risk students and buy their own school surplies. As for right now The Detroit School Board have their rough day trying to sort out their proposal so that they could pay their bills on time without having the Neo-Cons in the Michigan Legislature sending the Michigan State Board of Education members to recall them all. I say give the Detroit School Board a chance to straighten this out, if not them you all can have the power to recall them all including superintendent Calloway.

It takes the people of Detroit to save Detroit Public Schools not the Detroit School Board themselves.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: The grape thrower is NOT a parent, teacher, or member of staff at any school. She is a member of the Call Em Out Coalition.

Danny

Post Number: 5751
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoever she is, she shouldn't do it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best lines ever in a Freep article:
"And there you have it. Detroit looks silly in America again."

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grapeshot heard 'round the world.

If life hands you grapes, make wine. :-)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Funny, the city with the best library system in the country is labeled the dumbest.

And the dumb keeps rolling... If you read the whole study on the ALA.org site, Detroit doesn't even make the top 20.

ALA Study

Urbanize

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was speaking of Fort Wayne Dds.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny has it partly correct, but doesn't go deep enough to the root of the problem. It is likely going to shock Danny, but...it is what it is.

Here goes; Danny rightly places the responsibility for childrens' education primarily on the family and the values that are imparted to the children from said family. Logically, if the problem is occuring at this level, then we need to examine the root causes of the downfall of the family unit in urban America.

Race aside (as it is more a socioeconomic issue anyway). in the early part of the 20th century, when poverty was far more prevalent than today, the poorest citizens, mostly immigrants, had to survive by any means available to them. At that time, what was available was family, nonmandated community support (reciprocal), hard work, and education. The family structure was mostly nuclear (mother, father, and 2-3 children), with some aunts uncles and grandparents in the picture all working together to provide the necessities and allow the children to better themselves through education. While only a generalization, with plenty of exceptions, this model worked very well.

What changed? The new deal with entitlement programs that replaced the family as the provider with government. No longer was it necessary for survival to have a nuclear family, having more children without prospects to support them was a possibility where in the past it would have been disastrous. A growing subgroup of dependants (the dependancy class) was born. What resulted is the degradation of the family and community to the sad state that we now have.

Solutions? Bright individuals see the salvation in a return to self sufficiency and the family unit (could Bill Cosby, the comedian, be this right?). However, it is not enough to leave it to a few forward thinking and outspoken representatives, what is really needed is to gradually scale back the entitlements over time (a very very difficult endeavor, but well worth it in the long run). This would restore incentives for success, self sufficiency, the family, the community, and individual dignity.....IMHO.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You stay classy, Motor City.

Dds

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was speaking of Fort Wayne Dds.

Where the hell was Ft. Wayne mentioned in this thread?

Urbanize

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Funny, the city with the best library system in the country is labeled the dumbest."

"Where the hell was Ft. Wayne mentioned in this thread?"

I was speaking of FORT WAYNE Dds.

Dds

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then maybe you should say that you are speaking of FORT WAYNE in your post, instead of letting everyone try and figure it out for themselves.

Urbanize

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did say that a ways back up. I started to put quotes in between but I wanted to repeat myself.

Funny, y'all know about everything else but don't know that they had the best library system and was labeled the dumbest city in the country. I will be more specific in future post though if it will help.

Dds

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's me, but I cannot find any mention of Fort Wayne in this thread posted by you or anyone else until post 603. Please help me out here. But hey, if everyone else on the board knew you were talking about Ft. Wayne, in post 575, I guess I am the dumb one.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a second - the lady threw a grape. Not a baseball, not a rock, not a brick: a grape.

Now someone on the school board wants to press charges because somebody threw - sorry, I still am having a hard time believing this - a grape?

Could we maybe suggest that if you want to serve on a big-city school board, perhaps you need to grow a thick enough skin that you can survive an assault by grape-throwing?

I realize there are real problems, the population decline is causing trouble, the school district needs to figure out how to serve the children with less revenue, etc., all real problems, but - come on - a grape?

We need to grow up, here, IMHO...

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, you and I must be on the same wave length...

I could understand if she threw a brick... But a grape?

Too funny...

Reminds me of the 3 Stooges short, where Curly flicks the grape into the mouth of the opera singer... hehehe...

-HL

(Message edited by hardliner on April 06, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can take an eye out with a grape."

When I was in grade school that's what was said in the cafeteria after the lunch monitor determined that the grapes where being launched from our table.

Grapes are pretty much harmless. When you start getting into your bigger fruits like a Strawberry or a plum then that's a different story.

The school board needs to show up at the next meeting surrounded by boxes of coconuts.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking like Professorscotts is exactly why Detroit is headed for 3rd World status...

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read "Devil's Night" the author, Ze'ev Chafets (sp?) says Detroit is the largest Third World city in North America.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know the grape lady made the news in Nashville! Never hear anything good about the D, but let one dumbass throw grapes and its all over!!! LOL

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great point Exmotowner. This is a national story only be cause we have made it a local story. The grape thrower has been charged this morning. This behavior is not acceptable in Detroit or anywhere. Please let us know if the news that the person is in trouble with the law makes the national news.
We have spent to much time on this forum on trivia and not enough seeking ideas and solutions.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have suggestions and ideas for the whole school closure issue. If DPS were smart about things (and they aren't) then they would phase out schools so that no one is upset. That would entail not allowing grades coming into the school to start in the fall. For example, in a high school that is slated for closure, no more incoming 9th graders and no new students (from other schools or out of district). Let the kids "graduate" from their school and when the last class has "graduated" then close the school. This will lessen people's heartache that their kids will not finish where they started (which is the problem with the high schools that are slated for closure).

DPS needs to close schools in order to run more efficiently. They also must sell the closed schools in order for them to not still be a life sucking force. If they don't sell the building, then they must still keep the heat on (so the pipes don't burst), keep the grass cut, keep vandals out (which would entail boarding windows and reboarding when folks do get in), and paying an engineer to make sure the boiler is working.

This has been a problem for DPS in the past, they haven't unloaded the buildings they aren't using. I also suggest that they take a building slated for closure and make it into the central office. We are paying rent on buildings for offices when we own some that are not being utilized.

Just a lowly teacher's opinion but I really think that if they do these simple things that I have suggested, they could save a lot more than anticipated and make less people angry.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your not serious detroitteacher. So they would have to operate an increasing empty building for up to six more years. That's not going to do it, and not going to quiet the call em out crew. Ruthless efficiency is what is needed, people's emotions be damned.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

professorscott- the throwing of the actual grape is not the point. For me to hurt someone with a grape would take a throw of a zillion to one hit in a vital spot. The point is as others has stated, is this the kind of message we want to send to our children as to how to resolve disagreements and/or disapointments - to just throw things at people.

The Call-em-Out coalition is what I call the vocal minority. Quick to want to recall you, quick to want to call you a "uncle tom" quick to throw out rumors of politicians stealing public money (well they might be right about that! lol)
In a democracy I guess we need groups that can tell you everything thats wrong about you, but with no plan or solution that they can come up with.

DT- great idea, but that should have been happening over the course of a few years. Like I said there was not the political courage within DPS to implement a plan such as yours over time. Now the cuts have to be quick,deep and painful

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many things to comment on here.
quote:

Everytime DPS loss a school building more Detroit parents send their children to those EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS.

If charter schools do a decent job of educating their students then they're not evil. However, in my opinion, those are argue that we should force students to stay in schools where they're not being educated are evil.
quote:

It takes the people of Detroit to save Detroit Public Schools not the Detroit School Board themselves.

What? Should the people of Detroit start teaching classes at DPS?

DPS will live or die based entirely on how good of a job they do in educating their students. The people of this city pay taxes that support the schools. The rest is up to the administrators, teachers and parents of DPS.
quote:

This has been a problem for DPS in the past, they haven't unloaded the buildings they aren't using.

This is true. One of reasons why DPS has had difficulty unloading its inventory of vacant buildings is that the only people who want to buy a vacant school building are those from another school - usually a charter school.

I don't think DPS wants to sell its buildings to charter schools. As a result, the Catholic schools are being sold to charter schools instead and DPS gets stuck with the bill for maintaining vacant buildings.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So she was only throwing grapes. I can't quote any law regarding the disruption of public meetings, but if one addresses the issues of people throwing things, it probably does not exempt small soft fruit less than one inch in diameter. She was behaving like a kid testing the limits of some rule. You tell a child not to walk on the carpet and s/he may try to just touch the carpet with the toe of their shoe just to see if that counts. I don't know who she plans to score points with in the future with her speech "It Was Only A Grape". Idiots,I guess.
Incidentally, when I substitute, I don't accept the throwing of anything even gently tossed pencils to friends.

Danny

Post Number: 5754
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek,

Charter Schools are EVIL because of their artificial education to their students infallible brains. They have affirmative action policies by means of grades to bring students with academic talent into their phony school buildings. Most evil charter schools want to keep their programs in a college preparatory magnet pace so that their students graduate "HOT AND READY" for any college.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 905
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Danny, you argue that we should keep public schools around, solely because they serve a purpose--that is, promoting mediocrity and failure?

Danny

Post Number: 5758
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed,

We should keep public schools around for everyone who are rich or poor and not by talent and grade acceptances. Some Public Schools are not promoting mediocrity and failure but promoting academic success. Detroit Public Schools could do the same but it have to start by the people of Detroit from their homes to streets.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 909
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, but your criticism of charter schools in your previous post was based on the fact that they prepare students for college.

I am in favor of public schools, by the way.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell the buildings? Get real. Once closed, demolish them. Too expensive for anyone to rehabilitate, so nobody would buy them. Land, on the other hand, at the right price, in the right location, with a business friendly city, is a potential asset that could be sold.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 994
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc: That is another alternative. I just don't think they should hang onto them and pay for the upkeep. Either way sounds good to me.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor Scott - where and when do you teach? I'll show up, hurl loud insults and curses, and then toss grapes at your head. Any problem with this? If not, then why do you even bother handing out grades?

Chuckles

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO...

Smart kids with good parenting will always excel whether Public, Charter or Parochial...

The average kids with uncaring parents need all the help they can get whether Public, Charter or Parochial...

The challenged, impaired, special ed kids need special schools, Charter or Parochial...

IMO it is more about Parenting and Teachers then it is about the school system...

Teaching and Educational Administration is all about the Money and the Perks, the kids are just a necessary evil to these people...

Pretty strong opinions, whadayathink......

Danny

Post Number: 5766
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Chuckles,

Teaching a child starts at home before they go to school.

Chuckles

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and while they are attending school as well, Parenting never stops, IMO...

It is the constant in a childs life, hopefully...

Urbanize

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sell the buildings? Get real. Once closed, demolish them. Too expensive for anyone to rehabilitate, so nobody would buy them. Land, on the other hand, at the right price, in the right location, with a business friendly city, is a potential asset that could be sold."

I don;t think the city can handle more prairies.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Charter Schools are EVIL because of their artificial education to their students infallible brains.

"Artificial education"???

Is that the new codespeak for English, social studies, math and science?
quote:

Detroit Public Schools could do the same but it have to start by the people of Detroit from their homes to streets.

The people of the Detroit have gone from their homes to the streets and demanded a better education for the children. If DPS isn't willing to provide it, they will take thir children to someone who is.

The evil people in the world are those who say that maintaining the status quo at DPS is more important than actually educating our children.
quote:

Sell the buildings? Get real. Once closed, demolish them.

DPS could sell buildings or demolish them.

Or they could start doing a decent job of educating their students. In which case, they wouldn't need to close schools in the first place.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real bunch of fruits.
No wonder there is no respect for authority.
Pretty soon there won't be any kids for any of the schools.
I loved the story about Redford High School in the paper a few weeks ago. I remember when they built the addition years ago and can only shake my head when I hear how the place has become a dump.
When folks don't have any respect for themselves, they don't have any for anyone (or anything) else.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The schools don't exist in a vacuum. Detroit is quickly becoming a transient renters community in many areas. These folks don't have an attachment for a neighborhood much less a school. We have all been taught that education is a way to a better life and its true, but its a long process before that happens and the kinds of folks living on the economic edge in Detroit need something to substain them now. Thats one reason people may think that some Detroiters don't value education.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 997
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that Detroit is a transient community. Many of my students come and go from school to school because their family has been evicted. This is NOT the fault of the child and I don't know how anyone can think that kids can learn when they bounce around so frequently (often coming back to the school that they left and then leaving again). DPS is working on this, though, as all teachers who teach certain classes are supposed to be doing the same thing across the district at the same time. The only problem is...kids usually don't get the same classes that they had in their previous school (at least not at the HS level). I am still enrolling kids in my classes and I really don't see how they can pass so late in the year (they never come with any grades from previous schools). Many of them switch schools so that they can avoid failing a class (or 5)...DPS really needs to have a cut-off on enrolling kids at certain times of the year (many suburban schools won't enroll kids now, we just got a child back from a suburban school who couldn't get in because of the time he tried to enroll).

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those must've been some expensive grapes. How heavy were the seeds in 'em-if there were any?

I'm being a smart-ass, BTW.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.