Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Roofers working in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to get estimates for a new roof on my 1865 Corktown worker's cottage on Wabash Street. So far one person measured (from Renaissance Sheet Metal of Redford), told me he'd come back to me with an estimate, and simply disappeared.

Last night I had an appointment at 6pm for an estimate from another company, Metal Roofs of Michigan. They never showed up. When I called them this morning, I was told that their employee "made a judgment call" regarding the "safety concerns" of the area. He mentioned a "burned out building" nearby (the train station??). Dude, the train station isn't going to reach out and grab you.

I told him how disappointed I am (without using foul language) that the roofers are not only more afraid of the neighborhood than my 4'7" girlfriend who goes out to walk the dog alone frequently, but also couldn't even bring themselves to knock on my door or even CALL ME to cancel the appointment.

Are all roofers such prejudiced cowards?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8820
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happens often with contractors. Just one more reason to try to find local people if they do quality work.

Psewick

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 -- This is my first home, and all home repairs up until this point have been done by myself or with friends or neighbors. I guess I have a lot to learn about dealing with contractors...

I am currently trying to get a local company (located in North Corktown) to write up an estimate for me. Hopefully they will treat me like a human being.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8821
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just as importantly I hope that they do quality work for you.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4062
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick, is your roof pitch real steep? Sometimes roofers will not want to do steep roofs, of which there are many in Detroit.

If the roof cannot be easily walked on, many roofers will not take the job.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have often been stymied by people who won't work in SWD. But there are plenty of people who will.

Go to the Hubbard Farms site for a list of tried and true contractors who have experience in an historic district I'm not sure roofers are listed, but you could ask and they will give you local people who are good.

http://hubbardfarms.informe.co m

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well -

Just to take a little heat off of the contractors.

We did a major overhaul, and had contractors on site daily for three months.

During that time, one van was broken into - in broad daylight, nothing taken.

Another van was broken into and all the tools that were inside were taken. Once again, broad daylight.

After 2 break-ins they decided to park closer to the house - and received a parking ticket for blocking the sidewalk (while in our driveway).

Not necessarily the most compelling place to want to do business -- especially if you have other options.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a hardware store down there yet? I would see if they had a list of contractors willing to do business in that area. I've got Tony's Ace Hardware in Hazel Park. I've gotten referrals from them for sewer work and roof work. Both were excellent for service and price. Do the research on them though, when my uncle worked in that Quality Storage building on Elizabeth street the owner had his roof redone for something like 30g. It leaked worse then ever after the roofers were done, and they disappeared after that.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabrich-

I can't believe that the cops had enough time to issue a ticket to someone trying to improve the area they are responsible for when there is so much more "urgent crime" going on!! Sounds like "deferred policing" to me.

On the other hand, about ten years ago, we did a re-roof around the Hazelwood/Lynwood area. It was not uncommon to hear gunshots all the time and toward evening it got to the point that they were shooting at us for kicks!! Thank goodness they were lousy shots!!

We finished up the next day by bringing ten roofers with us and never, ever took another job down there! Perhaps it is just one of those kind of things that are occurring??

Psewick-

Many people that do not live in those areas are mistaken by what they see when they drive thru! Follow SWM's advice. But remember, Gistok is correct as well-if it aint damn near flat, they consider it too risky. Hard to do does not=risky, just a bit more involved. If it is steeper, expect to pay a premium! Good luck to you in your search!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best friend does roofing and rough carpentry. After a few jobs in some bad areas of Detroit where minor things were stolen, he thought it prudent to get a gun carrying permit, and practice at a firing range. Scrappers beware...

And Psewick... after hearing some of these stories, you might want to rethink your "prejudiced cowards" comments. Sometime parts of Detroit truly are just not worth the risks of losing the tools of ones livelihood...

(Message edited by Gistok on April 04, 2007)

(Message edited by Gistok on April 04, 2007)

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had two roofers that never showed for estimates, one that didn't come the right day and didn't call, five that came more or less at the right time. The one I went with (because of price) told me he was "scared of working in Detroit." Luckily for me he was more scared of not having work. We didn't have any trouble with crime, but we kept the materials secured inside the house at night.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will look to find the contact info for the roofers I have used in the past on my projects. The last one was very good but higher end. There is one local contractor from the corridor that does good work for reasonable money.

I will look tonight

Psewick

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok -- This guy didn't say a thing about my roof pitch. He was very clear about the reason why they didn't even knock on my door. They were probably too afraid to even leave their vehicle, and they judged the safety level of my immediate neighborhood in an extremely superficial, ignorant way. I have not had one single incident of theft, vandalism, or assault since I moved to this house a year ago (even the time I accidentally left my garage door open all night long). I lived close by in an apartment for a year before that, also without any incident (even when I forgot to lock my car doors or even roll the windows up, on one occasion).

Cambrian -- Yes, we have Brooks Lumber across the street from Tiger Stadium on Trumbull. I totally forgot that they'd have connections. I'll see if they can help me. :-)

Southwestmap -- Thanks for the website, I'll check them out. :D

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3302
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used CAS Home Improvement in Redford Twp for two different roofs...They do lots of work in SWD, They like old houses, They are not afraid of steep pitches (I got on the roof of my last house once and that was enough) and they don't pull that "We're afraid to get outta the car" BS. Don't waste your time with idiots...I'm not sure if CAS does metal roofs, but the crew is Polish and they do have some old world type skills. Their prices are reasonable too.
(313) 541-6960

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just used MC Home Improvement out of Romulus to repair the valleys and install gutters. They were prompt, wrote estimate and showed up when they said they wood. 313 922 7285

Psewick

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto - I'm beginning to think that a metal roof might be overkill for my small house. If I go with a conventional asphalt roof instead, I'll give CAS a call. :-)

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't help but comment that when I had my roof done on my home in '99 (not in Detroit) the owner of the company mentioned that he no longer takes roofing jobs in Detroit because twice, while the workers were on high 2nd story roofs, their ladders were taken and would not be returned until they surrendered the keys to their vehicles and their wallets as well. It's unfortunate for many residents of Detroit but what has to be remembered is that people are in business to earn a living and stay in business at the same time. I know from my own self-employment ventures that business in Detroit was neither profitable nor safe.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever you do DONT call Gandy Roofing...They suck! Crapy work and never pulled a permit. Very shady workers...The crew leader brought his wife and 6 year kid to the job site...WTF?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.