Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Looking for a defunct 1990s rock venue « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a tape from a March 1991 show at a place called "Key West Club." Does anyone know where exactly this place was located? I've never seen or heard of any other show at this venue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is supposed to be a Detroit area club...never heard of it. The show might be mislabeled...but I'm sure you've thought of that.

Who is the artist ?

Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rory Gallagher. Every listing I've ever seen for this show (3-25-91) lists Key West or Key West Club. I figured it might be a case where a venue simply changed its name for a short period of time, like State Theater was Clubland in the 80s. Maybe it was Traxx. Where was Traxx? On 6 Mile?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 & Gratiot

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it existed, in Detroit...

Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured it existed. I'm looking to find out where in Detroit it was located.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was offsetting Bongman's statement that it must be mislabeled. It definitely was here.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a club on Greenfield, about Greenfield and Joy area, and I remember a tropical theme on the sign, maybe it was the Key West club--this memory goes back to the 80's though

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't there a place south of EG Boulevard on like the NW corner of Milwaukee and Brush or something like that???

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay I know this isn't much help but I was driving the other day and I saw a sign for the Key West Club. I don't remember where it was I wanna say it was around six mile and Southfield. But I don't remember.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a club on Milwaukee and it was something like the Tropic Lounge or Tropicana Lounge. Traxx was on the corner of Linnhurst and Gratiot also known as J. C.'s in the 80's. There was a Baha Beach Club on the river downtown that was an old boat of some sort. It had 2 floors to it.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3912
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The club on MIlwaukee was the Latin Quarter...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3238
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Bongman had it right, although I'd treat Bongman's recollections with a high level of suspicion. Isn't it on the west side of Gratiot south of McNichols? Painted black and powder blue?

Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked Jim at Record Graveyard and he is pretty certain Traxx was never called Key West Club. Wherever this place was, they must not have been able to make a go of it for long.

Rory Gallagher was a fairly well known artist in the '70s. I saw him play the Royal Oak Theater in Nov '76, and he opened for Rush at Joe Louis in '82. From the mid-'80s onward he was playing smaller venues, at least here. He appeared at Harpo's in 1985, and the '91 date at Key West was his final Detroit appearance; he died in '94 or '95 of liver failure.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Latin Quarter was on E. Grand Blvd, south side of the street a few doors down from the Firestone store. It was an old theater.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was, I believe, a place called The Key West on w. 6 mile, 1 blk. west of Telegraph, next 2 what used to be the West Side Six and later the Silverbird lounge.
The time frame is right, late 80's early 90's. The Six and Silverbird (www.motorcityrock.com) offered rock cover bands until the mid-80's. The Key West as I recall was kind of a "danceable" top-40 joint. The building had a lighthouse tower attached. It was a church last I looked.

LeoB

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.