Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kwame booed during opening pitch « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title says it all, it was pretty funny yet I kind of felt for the guy. Especially since the majority of the crowd dosen't live in the city

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11447
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't even notice to be honest. I didn't vote for Kwame, but I totally approve of the direction he has the city going in. Would have voted for him last election if not for the perceptions he created both local and national. He has more than won over my vote during his second term, he has truly "grown up." Why anybody would boo him is beyond me.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kwame may have "grown up" somewhat- whatever that means. but he's currently taking public schools in the entirely wrong direction. more charter schools is not the way to go. they will simply drain more students away from the regular schools and exacerbate the problem of funding and student population. many people on this forum consider schools to be one of the most important factors in revitalizing detroit. so, this might prove to be a disaster.

i am not aware of anything good that kwame has done for the city. he takes a lot of credit for the super bowl and other developments. i wouldve boo'd him too if i were at opening day.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4296
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every politician gets booed at sporting events. Coleman Young, Jim Blanchard, John Engler, Dennis Archer, Kwame Kilpatrick, Jennifer Granholm they all got booed. You aren't much of a citizen if you don't boo our elected officials at sporting events and the like.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11448
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but he's currently taking public schools in the entirely wrong direction.

Kwame does not run the public schools, the public voted him out of that position. Anybody who believes otherwise proves that they are uninformed. The fact that he is promoting charter schools simply shows that he sees the trend that the public is following. The fact that charter/private schools drain students away from the public schools should be a statement, one that SHOULD be heard loud and clear.

How can somebody blame our mayor when it is the PEOPLE of Detroit sending their kids to charter, private, and even suburban schools? Kwame doesn't have the power to turn around the public school system, so instead he promotes a system in which he believes will help attract others to Detroit, as well as retain those who live here by offering another option.

quote:

i am not aware of anything good that kwame has done for the city.

Then you obviously don't live in the city of Detroit. The city has improved all 5+ years I have lived here.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slight sidetrack of the thread and message to pistonian: Charters are here to stay.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all honesty I gotta give Kwame some credit. During the incredible Inside Detroit Breakfast Crawl this morning I took note of a substantial amount of DPD out directing traffic, giving directions and generally enforcing the laws. Looks like the police callbacks have provided some noticeable results.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even a great team and a great sporting event can't unite us...most of the people don't know about Kwame and his record, and by booing they are showing nothing but ignorance. How many people in that crowd do you think are from the C of D? Maybe 10 percent?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I'm at a baseball game I boo the opposing team, a politician throwing out the first pitch, and anyone in my row who gets up in the middle of an inning and walks in front of me.

As Jelk stated, all politicians get booed at sporting events. To say that most of the people just don't know about his record is kind of foolish. It doesn't matter what his record is, he's a politician and he's going to get booed.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they just mistook him for Lou Whitaker. "Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooou!!!!!"

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the temp at the beginning of the game?

Anyone remember the 1982 game that was snowed out?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HBP: Thomas (by Rodney).
Pitches-strikes: Halladay 104-69, Janssen 25-18, Downs 7-3, Frasor 6-5, Ryan 20-13, Bonderman 89-58, Zumaya 34-19, Jones 11-7, Rodney 31-21.
Ground outs-fly outs: Halladay 6-8, Janssen 3-3, Downs 0-0, Frasor 1-0, Ryan 0-1, Bonderman 4-11, Zumaya 3-2, Jones 2-1, Rodney 2-0.
Batters faced: Halladay 26, Janssen 7, Downs 1, Frasor 2, Ryan 5, Bonderman 25, Zumaya 8, Jones 3, Rodney 7.
Inherited runners-scored: Frasor 1-0.
Umpires: HP: Rick Reed. 1B: Chuck Meriwether. 2B: Alfonso Marquez. 3B: Tim Timmons.
Weather: 62 degrees, sunny.
Wind: 18 mph, Out to LF.
T: 3:15.
Att: 44,297.

Detroittigers.com

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

62 degrees. although unfortunately i wasn't there, i think that's about perfect for opening day.

I too would boo for any politician, with few exceptions, regardless of my personal feelings.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there, great day, keep it positive, don't boo Kwame.

But, everyone can have an opinion, even if they do not live in the City.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty true that politicians get booed at sporting events. Guliani was sort of the exception for a while after 9-11.

How bad was it?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 526
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame has done a FEW things, but it's not the Cat out of the Hat situation that people would rather have.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When everybody around me started to boo him, I cheered loudly so they could all hear me. People started yelling at me, asking why I would cheer him. I said that I like his ideas and the direction he's taking the city in. But I'm not going to lie, I also did it to piss them off.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, 95% of the audience was suburbanites. I rarely run across a Detroiter who is not happy with where the mayor is going. Respect for our city starts with US who live here. Stand up for who we are, where we are going and what positive things our mayor is doing. If we project that then those moronic racist who were booing him today will come around.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Tigers2005, I don't care much for KK, but I care even less for suburban sports fans who boo a guy that they didn't even vote against.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVERY politician gets booed on opening day. Engler got it worse than anyone I have heard.

Probably because he couldn't throw. ;)

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see the throw, though. I wasn't really paying attention until I heard the boos.
Does he have an arm?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmontrules... that's right every suburbanite that booed was a moronic racist.... Geez get a grip.... didn't you read the previous threads?

People booed at Granholm, Engler, Blanchard, Archer... some of you need to get a thicker skin... and quit stereotyping...

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4298
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy,

Better to be booed in Detroit for an inability to throw then to be cheered in Holland wearing this get-up.

engler

Whatever your opinion of John Engler, you really got to hope someone got fired for making our then-Governor do this.

(Message edited by jelk on April 02, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4030
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell... is that tweedle-dum or tweedle-dee?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booing politicians at ballgames- an American pastime-like a hotdog & beer!!!
LIGHTEN UP

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk...

I still have that photo up in my cubicle.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5727
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KING KWAME has mature from his HIP HOP ideology. So just give him a chance to clean up his act.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe that Engler's staff let him look like that AND have a picture taken

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dennis Archer threw (and probably still throws) like a girl.

Bush (the prick) -- well, I'll give him this. He throws like a ballplayer. For that, I'll give him kudos.

Mmmm ... Kudoooooos.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel worse for Neifi Perez who got booed during introductions.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neifi should've been picked off first base.
Thus far, he's been an embarrassment to the uniform.
But he's Leyland's guy, so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they thought it was 1984 and they were actually CHEERING for Lou Whitaker.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They booed Ficano, too. What's the big deal? People are frustrated with politicians.

Panther036
Username: Panther036

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The title says it all, it was pretty funny yet I kind of felt for the guy. Especially since the majority of the crowd dosen't live in the city"

I agree, they don't live here. Go figure-

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now here's a guy who deserved to be booed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =4GdK62RV3Mw

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.