Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Convention Hall? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a seating blueprint for the old Convention Hall on Woodward? The blueprint is marked "Detroit Convention Center, 6-13-61." What year was Convention Hall demolished? Sorry for the unclear photo, but that's the best I could do. Hopefully it's clear enough to identify.

print

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks like the upper level from Cobo Arena

Ed_golick

Post Number: 586
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought so too, but it's not marked as such.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought so too, but it's not marked as such.

Usually, public buildings and civic projects aren't named until after they are constructed. I did a project in Richmond, Virginia now known as the Patrick Henry Building. The drawings, of course, do not use this name. Even something seemingly obvious like the "Pentagon" does not use that name on the Construction Documents. Those are just a couple examples. Federal buildings are apt to use some pretty cryptic nomenclature at times.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The circular construction and U shaped stands indicates that it is Cobo, plus Cobo was completed in '61. It probably wasn't named yet

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree..I remember Cobo being called Convention Hall or Convention Center before it was officially named.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who can tell me about the old Convention Hall that was on Woodward? In 1946 it was the location of the first demonstration of television in Michigan.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't it house the Auto Show at one time?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4024
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm drawing a blank on that one Ed...

During the late 40's and early 50's the Auto Show was held in Masonic Temple's Drill Hall above the Masonic Temple Theatre. They used an outside crane to get the cars up there.

Kathleen or 56packman... any ideas??

(Message edited by Gistok on April 02, 2007)

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Convention Hall was "near Woodward and Warren." See info here:
http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=20&catego ry=business
I thought some of it was on Cass, too.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was held for a number of years at the Detroit Armory on Eight Mile by Greenfield.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the site known by many as the site of the Vernor's plant is now being developed as South University Village by WSU.

(Message edited by Crew on April 02, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny that the article didn't mention the move to Masonic Temple in the late 40's and early 50's.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an armory building on congress that hosted the auto show (and other conventions) prior to its 1940's demolition. I caught fire at one point, not sure of that led to its demolition

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Congress Street Armory
Interior during WW I for the funeral of our boys.

Funeral

The 1940's Fire

Fire 1

Fire 2

Demolition

Demo

The Artillery Armory on West 8 Mile

Art

VMC WSU

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.