Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Port Authority aims to use Detroit River as power source for new dock and terminal « Previous Next »
Detroit River as Power SourceHans5704-01-07  8:06 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ innovationnews/PortAuthority12 .aspx

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5329
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. I've been in sporadic contact with John Kerr at the Port Authority, and he mentioned something like this. At one time, I think they were even considering fitting the roof with some wind turbine generators that would have fit with the design.

BTW, I keep hearing about an off-shore wharf/pier, but have seen nothing in any renderings.

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 01, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4007
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting indeed.

One of the greatest applications for this type of energy could probably be Nova Scotia's Bay of Fundy (off the Atlantic), where the water level between high and low tide can differ by as much as 40 feet, the highest tidal differences on the planet, IIRC.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see this happen! Even if the "natural beauty" of the River is marred with in-takes or paddle-wheels or whatever, this will be a small price to pay for clean energy.

Next front: persuade the elitists out on Cape Code to cease preventing the installation of wind farms - it seems as though the Kennedy's would rather that our guys die to protect the oil supply so that they can have unobstructed views.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! Metromode actually got a newsworthy scoop. I might to start reading that thing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.