Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » JFK's Trip to detroit in 62? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading about JFK's first trip to detroit in 1962 and how it was a security nightmare because he wanted to have a convertible limo to give him as much exposure as possible. Also He had a speech at the Book Cadillac anyone have any Pics?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was JFK one of those Presidents who needed security breathing down his neck?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Virtual Motor City archives:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=dde2b6ac 51c60725efc31345a09bd14a&q1=Jo hn+F.+Kennedy&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2= And&q2=&rgn2=vmc_ti&type=boole an&med=1&view=thumbnail&c=vmc

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Book-Cadillac he's speaking in front of in those pictures

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never knew Kennedy Square had a fountain and reflecting pool. All of my memories of this site was that of people waiting for busses and an occasional protest rally. The fountain was never on in the mid 70s. Who can tell me when the fountain and pool were shut down?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kennedy Square reflecting pool and fountain didn't last because the water was leaking into parking garage below. Too bad, because it was a nice spot to brown bag it (as in LUNCH) on days when the weather was nice.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that John Kennedy's first trip to Detroit was a Labor Day rally in l960. Maybe you mean his first trip as "president" was l962?

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Brown bagging"...pool..true at the "square". I saw JFK in a motorcade on Outer Drive just off of Gratiot (City airport in the background), but cannot remember if he was campaigning (1960) or President (1962) at the time. W/O checking out Kathleen's links, I think he was Pres. at the time making it '62? Yes, he was in a convertible.

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on April 02, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Gary.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn and 14509, I think JFK's first trip to Detroit was during the 1960 Presidential campaign, because I saw him riding in a limo on Gratiot near the City Airport at that time.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, I mean he "probably" went to Detroit before l960, but that year was the first time that he went as a presidential figure.
He gave a speech at Cadillac Square, and Walter Reuther, Sen. Hart, etc. were on the podium with him. It's a pretty famous picture.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm
OK. Campaign in '60. You identified the route and the year.

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on April 02, 2007)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In October '60, while campaigning he gave a big speech @ Tech Center in Warren, then announced the Peace Corps @ A2 the next day

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the route was that he flew into metro airport in air force one and drove with a bulletproof top on the limo till the city limits then he took the roof off. George edwards talked about how it was a security nightmare. He then went down to the Book Cadillac and then to city airport where he left Via Helicopter.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was City Airport not in the city limits in 1960? Me thinks it had to have been....

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Was City Airport not in the city limits in 1960? Me thinks it had to have been...."

Yes, Detroit City Airport was most certainly in the city limits in 1960. I want to say the area was annexed around 1919.

Speaking of which my barber has a picture in his shop of John Kennedy and Michigan governor candidate John Swainson riding inside a Lincoln convertible in 1960 at the intersection of 6 Mile and Outer Drive/Conner. The barber at that time was located at Dickerson and Chelsea. The location of the picture is interesting because at that time the gate for City Airport was at Conner and Charlemagne. The procession out of the airport that would make the most sense is out the gate onto Conner and the right turn at Gratiot. Unless maybe the picture at 6 Mile and Conner was taken as he was coming back from the GM Tech Center on the way into the airport ?

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife was working downtown when JFK was here in 1960. She got up close...and the camera didn't work!
I remember seeing him in a convertible on Michigan Avenue west of Livernois. I don't recall where he was going. I vividly remember how tanned he looked.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize wrote, "Was JFK one of those Presidents who needed security breathing down his neck?"

Huh? Maybe if he DID have security breathing down his neck, he wouldn't have been murdered.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is correct. JFK always frustrated his security by insisting on getting out of the Lincoln and walking along the motorcade route shaking hands. He also refused the bulletproof bubbletop for the Lincoln on November 22nd so that he could see the crowd and respond to their cheers and waves better.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.