Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Freep supports Matty's 2nd Bridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today the Freep came out in support of Matty Moroun's plan for twinning the bridge to Canada.They say the DRIC is a waste of money.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070330/OPI NION01/703300336/1069/OPINION0 1

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep should put its support back in the closet. Has the editorial board tried to drive an 18-wheeler in Windsor during rush hour?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8860
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep has likely been bought into Maround's camp. Another reason to can them from our news intake.

(yeah, I know it is Maroun, I had a typo a few weeks ago and like the 'round' morphing of his fat-cat name)

Shame, the Freep employs a few acquaintances...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This endorsement really makes clear how obtuse the new management of the Free Press is. They will eat these words soon.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 729
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep is only supporting Matty's plan as the lesser of several evils it sounds like. Seems as though they just thought that he was further along with his plans than it would ever take two country's governments to get a plan together. So they are just saying that since he is basically going ahead anyways, any amount that governments spend on anymore studies are going to be wasted government money.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 742
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very disappointed their position. You'd think they understand the importance not allowing a monopoly on the country's busiest border crossing by a slimy troll like Matty.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't expect them to understand anything anymore. The paper is a shadow of what it used to be. Few of their staff live in the city and their stories about the city contain frequent and embarrassing mistakes in city geography.
Aside from the issue of letting one man control an entire international border crossing, there is the issue of the infrastructure on the Windsor side being totally inadequate to handle a second span.

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News has an article this morning with more renderings of Moroun's Bridge Proposal. I'm not sure I like the second span alongside the Ambassador, but this quote sealed the deal for me:

quote:

The Ambassador would remain standing and be refurbished and reopened if needed, company officials said.

Detroit does not need a companion piece to the already abandoned MCS. I know I'm dreaming and this is unrealistic, but if he's given approval for this span, officials should be smart enough to require him to remove the Ambassador if he doesn't intend to continue using or maintaining it.

(Message edited by stephenvb on March 31, 2007)

(Message edited by stephenvb on March 31, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 810
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'm confused...I thought the point of building a second span was because there's too much traffic for one span...but this article is talking about not even using the old span...what am I missing here?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I've heard and read has been somewhat vague on this point as well.

The gist that I've been able to get is that a new bridge is needed because the current one is too expensive to maintain. But apparently, not too expensive because they would be able to press it into service if needed...

(Message edited by MCP-001 on March 31, 2007)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A big plus that was mentioned with Moroun's plan is that it is all private money being invested, and in case you have not noticed the state has very little of it right now. I know the feds would probably pay some, but that money could go to many other transportation projects in MI. With that said, I could see Canada and Windsor not being happy and putting a stop to Matty's plan because of what a second span would do to their side of the crossing.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have absolutely no problem with a private individual putting up his own money for a new bridge (especially given the point made very well above).

But I am a bit curious as to what the intentions are for the current bridge?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the current bridge has 4 lanes, and the proposed bridge has 6 lanes. So I guess he thinks that he can defer maintenance as long as his new span is not at full capacity.

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a link near the article for a video overview on youtube.

So I guess it's cheaper to build a new bridge and expanded approaches at each end than maintain the existing Ambassador Bridge? Something's not quite right here...

I'm already having nightmares of looking at the abandoned MCS with an abandoned Ambassador Bridge right behind it. Maybe the Detroit Film Office can market it for some kind if Escape from New York sequel.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5712
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad that over 3,000 homes in Del-ray will ge gone so that M-DOT and Ontario Transportation Dept. could end this long semi-truck traffic.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Ambassador Bridge! Never demolish it! Turn it into a foot and bike bridge.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still shocked by the irresponsibility of this Freep editorial. They somehow managed to write an almost full-page editorial on the bridge topic but completely ignored major factors such as:

* Is it in the best interests of the region to have an international bridge monolopy further consolidated by a single private owner? Wouldn't some competition between a privately-owned bridge and a government-owned bridge be prefable?
* Is the Ambassador going to be decommissioned (as Detroit Int'l Bridge Co has promised), or not?
* Doesn't the prospect of altering the downtown skyline by having a brand-new bridge sitting right next to an older, possibly abandoned, bridge matter at all?

All of these factors merit at least a continuation of the bridge study.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, but I think Gannon may be right on this one.

Also, I liked this post in the Free Press comments section: "The full page Ambassador Bridge Special Advertising Supplement was mistakenly headlined as an Editorial."

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3,000 homes is a bit much. I thought the number was in the hundreds...something like 300 homes.

Also, as far as paying for this bridge, I believe since it is an international border crossing (not to mention the pipeline for 25% of trade between one of this country's biggest trading partnerts, that the Federal government (and Canada) will be paying for almost all of the costs associated with the DRIC.

Mary_l
Username: Mary_l

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the second span in Detroit; it dosen't matter what The Ambassador Bridge Co does, it's going to be built. Right now there are plans in ACTION to create a super-highway from southern mexico thru the u.s. into canada. Sound crazy? visit the NASCO website and take a gander. Also there is a political, geographic, and more importantly economic foundation being laid that will lead to a North American Union and the introduction of a new currency aptly named the Amero, which will become the coin of the realm with the dollar collaps. Sounds even more unbelievable? Just use the internet and click amero, north am union,dollar collapse, etc. The amount of traffic that is going to come thru Detroit will be more than one bridge can handle. These people know it; DRIC and ABC. not to mention the money that stands to be had which is what all the bridge talk is about; who gets it, who controls it, and who gets their share. just follow the money. the bridge is just one part of many that are happening concurrently with the end being the NAU-North American Union.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.