Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Feds Want 1200 Mi Residents to Move « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patent Office Job Fair

Scott Ryan Reporting
Detroit -- The U.S Patent and Trademark Office is planning a job fair in Detroit Saturday, March 31 at the RenCen Marriott in downtown Detroit.

The agency says it is hiring 1,200 patent examiners this year. The USPTO hired 1,200 last year and nearly 1,000 in 2005.

Patent examiners have to be American citizens and have a scientific or technical degree. The agency says the biggest need is in the electrical and computer science areas, where there is a large backlog of unexamined applications. Relocation is necessary.

© MMVII WWJ Radio, All Rights Reserved.
http://www.wwj.com/pages/32277 3.php?contentType=4&contentId= 388132

In this day of telecommuting, whats wrong with opening an office in Detroit? If an entire department were located in, say the David Whitney Bldg, this would help the city and country.
Why are not our "hard working" congress people not pushing let alone thinking about this?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article says relocation is necessary, but it doesn't say where. I assume Washington DC?

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess that as well. PTO has huge offices in Alexandria, Va.

I don't know what kind of field staff they might have.

I can check if anyone is really interested. I have a good friend whose son works there in Alexandria.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would probably be Alexandria, VA. In other words, Metro DC.

I'm curious, how could opening a new office in Detroit help the country?

Psip

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spreading the wealth of the Federal Government around the country is a good investment FOR the county. Decentralizing, especially groups that are dependent on electronic communications is very easy to do, and in the long run will save the county money. Costs are much lower here then DC.
The reason it will not happen is that the power brokers in DC could care less about Detroit or Michigan.
The ruling party in DC can use this opportunity to walk the walk.

I just wish other parts of the country would take notice of the potential of our city. Our civic leaders are always taking about how we have to distance Michigan from the auto industry. They have been doing this since the 80's.
Now they want to educate everyone. Great, then the people will move away or be the smart unemployed. I am not knocking education, it just that we need another "industry" here with growth potential. Thank god for Compuware and others who have chosen to put roots down here.
I know this is a rant, and it will never happen. If people would start demanding performance from our "hardworking" legislators, maybe something would happen.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the most ridiculous title of a thread I've seen on here in a while...

There are 50 other states in the union...Michigan residents are not going to fill up all 1,200 of those spots...not even close...

And the Federal government doesn't "want" MI residents to move...what they "want" is patent examiners working out of their office, and moving is merely incidental to that...

sheesh...

Psip

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got you to look :-)

Thejesus

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and the next time I see a thread from you titled "the sky is falling", I won't bother to look and will just assume it's raining outside...

Psip

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry I offended you Thejesus. Would "Job Fair Encourages Mi Residents to Move" been more to your liking? If so, I will keep that in mind.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the second paragraph on http://www.uspto.gov/:
quote:

The plan builds upon the record-breaking progress the USPTO made during fiscal year 2006 in the areas of quality production, electronic filing and processing, teleworking and hiring.

[emphasis mine]

I guess they didn't quite make enough "record-breaking progress" on that telework part, eh?

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about:

"People Are Our Greatest Natural Resource: Michigan Is Being Strip-mined"

I like that for a title

Thejesus

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought "Patent Job Fair" (the title of the article) would do just fine...of course, then you don't get to spin it

Jimaz

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip said:
quote:

Now they want to educate everyone. Great, then the people will move away...

I think that's why incremental education should be offered to auto workers. It would be kind of like educating on an installment plan. If they leave after a few classes (more power to them), at least Michigan wouldn't have lost the investment of a longer-term degree.

Auto workers would likely appreciate receiving their training in smaller, more frequent doses too, IMHO.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys,

Let me retry what I attempted to say.

Each Federal agency is different in how they are organized between headquarters and field staff depending on the nature of the agency and the work.

If the nature of the PTO is that patent examiner tend to be headquarter positions then that is it and telework would mean usually within the D.C. area including some days in the office and some out.

These jobs are in Alexandria, VA.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.g ov/jobsearch.asp?q=&jbf522=&fn =4537&FedEmp=N&jbf574=CM56&brd =3876&vw=d&ss=0&FedPub=Y&calle r=%2Fa9pto.asp&SUBMIT1.x=65&SU BMIT1.y=10

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3742
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey dumbfuck Psip.

Do a little home work. The patent office runs career fairs around the country recruiting people. They are not trying to steal 1,200 jibs away from Detroit. Detroit is just one stop of many.

Before making a complete and utter fool of yourself try a couple very basic google searches.

(And shame on every other ninny on this thread that didn't bother to do the same, you all earn junior moron awards)

2 minutes found me this link.

http://usptocareers.gov/events .asp?action=1&eType=all

Golly four more regional job fairs in other parts of the country in the next four months!

Assuming all the jobs are filled equally from the fairs and none are filled through applications filed in otherways, that makes no more than 300 that could possibly come from Detroit.

And you wonder why people laugh at the stupidity on this forum.

Step it up people.

Psip

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Mr. Skulker, your eloquent prose are duly noted.

As to the only salient point in your post:
"Assuming all the jobs are filled equally from the fairs and none are filled through applications filed in otherways, that makes no more than 300 that could possibly come from Detroit."

Thats 300 people gone and about $15 million taken out of the Michigan. Detroit and Michigan need jobs and industries to COME here not leave!

BTW, its posts like yours that cause civil people to wonder about Detroit.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, I appreciate the information. Thanks. :-)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit and Michigan need jobs and industries to COME here not leave!

So these hypothetical 300 folks who need jobs should sit around and wait? How are 300 unemployed folks any help to Detroit and Michigan?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So these hypothetical 300 folks who need jobs should sit around and wait? How are 300 unemployed folks any help to Detroit and Michigan?

How likely is it that the people who will accept jobs at PTO are currently unemployed?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well since we're already making shit up... let's assume that half of them are unemployed.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thats 300 people gone and about $15 million taken out of the Michigan. Detroit and Michigan need jobs and industries to COME here not leave!

Maybe, we should worry be about fixing the reasons jobs don't come here in first place, instead of whining about some job jair?

Thejesus

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070331/UPDAT E/703310430/1003

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.