Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » ? Benefit-Tonight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

? ‘s of ? and the Mysterians house outside of Clio, MI burned down January and like all aging rockers, he had no insurance.

There have been a number of benefits held coast to coast, now it’s his home state’s turn.

More live than live will be that human dynamo, Detroit soulster Nathaniel Mayer, “Village of Love” , “I want Love and Affection-Not the House of Correction” leading the pack, which includes the Fondas, Outrageous Cherry, the Avatars and more.

Scuttlebutt has it that ? and the Mysterians may make an appearance.

I caught them at the Corktown Café a few years ago; they projected a rare, un-jaded joy, even while playing “96 Tears” for the ~ time.

This’ll be a “Garage Rock” gathering with and for one of our originals.

This Friday 3/30, 8pm, at the Magic Bag in Ferndale. Cheap too!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8750
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there also a benefit for him during or around winterfest? The guy is going to make more from benefits than he did during the rest of his musical career :-)

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last night, start to finish. Thought the Meltdowns offered something a little different. Mayer was crazy. By the time ? & the Mysterians hit the stage, maybe one third of the crowd had gone! Too bad, they missed (another) great ? performance ...got the soul, got the moves, got the groove, baby! ... and been doing it for over 40 years, with the all-original band.

Misssocks
Username: Misssocks

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone leaves the Magic Bag as soon as possible because it's impossible to do anything but be herded around by the staff. There's nowhere to just stand around talking unless you go into the ultra-dark, cavernous seating area. The design of the place is not suited to anything but a sit-down show or movies. The security with their headsets are constantly ordering people to the right or left or away from something or nearer something else and of course, there is no leaving and coming back in. I went to the ? show and split after seeing the bands I like because anyplace but right in front of the stage is intolerable to be.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sush sweet lil' girl! Ix-ney O' the 'ew 'ife-ey know-a, my 'ize-a 14 'ump-as from-a!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a fan of the Magic Bag, but I am a fan of ? and the Mysterians. I blast my copy of their debut long-player in glorious mono all the time. "Midnight Hour" (not the Wilson Pickett song) smokes. It's a great LP. Wish I coulda been there but had to work. I shoulda had you get me some autographs, Island!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.