Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What Happened to AIW's "Pic of the Day" ??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a-wonderin' what happened, that's all. I miss it.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik took over with a photo a day.

Seriously though, I think you just have to check his website International metropolis and see. I think he posts a new thing almost every day. I haven't been on in a little while.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a photo of the day. Taken today (3/29) by yours truly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/439392701/

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Nice! Southen, Thanks.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent pics, Southen. Thanks for sharing them.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's pretty badass southen

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo du jour

http://internationalmetropolis .com

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photo Southen,
Frankly I didn't really care for many of AIW's photos.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like AIW's uniqueness in his photos. His signature was on his work. I find that to be a reassuring trait of continuity that marks ones bliss!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks for the mostly nice comments. The PDJ's are still appearing daily on my website, most of them have been Windsor related lately, and there was in the past some whining when the photos weren't of Detroit. I figured I would just save the trouble and quit posting them.

I have also been busy preparing for a photo exhibtion at the Art Gallery of Windsor coming up this fall entitled: "Windsor Modern - 1945-1965" focusing on the post war/mid century style of architecture. Again, that is what I've been shooting lately as well, and that style of architecture has a large number of enemies on here as well.

For example today's P.D.J. is the 1957 Shaarey Zedek Synagogue.

If there is still demand, I would be happy to start posting them again for those interested. I was actually a bit surprised to see this thread, so thanks... :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good work aiw. I know i could give two shits about windsor myself

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5111
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has been suffering withdrawls, trying to fill the gap by going to Jasons titty Bar and by eating double portions of Donner Kabobs and Fish and Chips sprayed with cheap vinegar.

So AIW, we welcome you back. You kidding me?
AIW thought we didn't love him! Perish the thought, eh.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5112
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, a yarzeit service is a service for the dead.
Prayers are said each week in honor of those who died that week in yrs. past.

A special minyan would be 10 men in an Orthodox shul praying. Without a minyon, a Torah service cannot be held.

Great mid-century modernist architecture, back in vogue, and in USA being put on Natl. Registers of Historic Places. The rule here is 50 yrs. or older.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, some positivity about modernism only a few threads away from one that called the cheese-grater ugly...happy to see it.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW---I miss your photos. They represent a lot of effort (and talent) on your part. I have found them to be quite diversified. They are not ready for a yarzeit service.
Speaking of photos from across the river, is the Lanc back on the pedestal in Jackson Park or still under wraps and restoration at "an undisclosed location"?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6221
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, she's under wraps. I think it will be quite a while before she's seen again.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it interesting that the best view of Detroit is from Windsor! I think that could be a metaphor for life. Sometimes we see things clearer from afar than up close. AIW gives me that perspective on something I love -- Detroit. Thank you for your eye, AIW.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5118
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread sometimes back about what if Windsor were in the USA.

One of the quips was, "then we wouldn't have to go to Canada to see Detroit."

AIW gives us that persepctive, eh. jjaba didn't start this thread but it was sadly overdue. He just thought AIW was too busy with his "honey-do" list now as a married man to bother with pissants like us.

jjaba, glad he's back.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my students came in with a "Willis Show Bar" t-shirt the other day. Does anyone have a picture of the place...and when did it close?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5203
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandpamike,m careful, they might know about Anderson's Gardens next door. Now that was an institution that our buddy Lowell knows only too well.
jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.