Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brewster-Douglass Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5314
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised I don't remember this, but when were two of the six towers of the Brewster-Douglass dismantled? The fairly recent google maps aerials show the six, but I have pictures showing only four remaining towers, and I can't for the life of me remember when two of them were brought down. It appears it was the two in the southwest part of the site nearest the Fisher.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5315
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I'm talking specifically about the 6-tower, high-rise Frederick Douglass Homes/Projects/Apartments.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The day the music died.

jjaba.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5703
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentrification did it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5116
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have moved away from "slums with central heating" in this country in favor of scattered site public housing projects. There is no political will to support these projects. The Jeffries Projects on the Westside are long gone as family housing too. Pruitt-Igo in St. Louis was imploded and projects in Chicago are being demolished faster than a speeding freight train.

jjaba, former Public Housing Commissioner.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5704
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba's right.

The Jeffrey projects on the Lodge and MLK Blvd. has been tranformed into to " nouveau riche" single family homes for the middle class. I don't see no low-income folks moving back over there unless they have $200,000 and a $10,000 down payment with a high salary based job.

Meanwhile the Brewster Projects in Brush Park is a next target to demolished however the Douglass projects will not be torn down.

Next it would be the po-folk community on the Lodge FWY. and on the corner of MLK Blvd. and Third St.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The housing projects are a joke, building small single family homes is a much better idea. People and families feel at home and have pride in a property. What are they supposed to feel when they live in a giant soviet style warehouse.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 894
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an abundance of housing/land in Detroit. Tear them down.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5123
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scattered site housing also means rental vouchers to be used on the open market. This way, poor people are spread all over the community. That's the theory. Ofcourse, landlord discretion is always there. (emphasis landLORD.)

jjaba.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two towers were knocked down early in 2003. This picture is dated 2/26/03.

tower down

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5327
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ndavies, for answering my question. BTW, where'd you find the picture, or is it your own?

Ndavies

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shot all the pictures I post.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5128
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your photo Jeffries or Brewster-Douglass? Looks like some nice investment in wrought iron fencing.

jjaba.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5328
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering it was in response to my questions about the two Douglass Towers demolished, I'd assume that those are photos of Douglass Towers.

In fact, this is looking north from the Chrysler Freeway Service Drive/Winder, I believe.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture is Brewster-Douglass looking north from Winder.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5133
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. jjaba has never been over in that place. It sure looks the same as Jeffries, eh. That's the legacy of the Eastside-Westside fracture in Detroit.

jjaba, Westsider.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if they are rehabbing the towers? There is razor wire surrounding two of the towers.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5331
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I heard that more are being demoed, but I don't remember where I heard it. It could have been a rumor. It would be cool to see the area redeveloped like they've done for Jeffries West (perhaps more urban in design and style).

But, I too, would like to know the fate of Frederick Douglass Towers (Brewster is actually the remaining low-rise portion).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.