Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Eastern Market and Hart Plaza merchants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A representative from the newly managed market discussed with council plans to reorganize and diversifying the products offered.

Currently designated for either farm products and flowers, to a wider variety of other products and merchants.There coming up with ways to create a seven days a week full functioning mega district that will eventually be the closest thing the inner city has to a full shopping district. some warehouses surrounding the market on its east will transform into more loft conversions, thus creating much needed resident density surrounding the market.

They also discussed marketing Hart plaza with a wider variety of merchants. I would love to get fruit and flowers from the riverfront park.lol

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remix,

Did they give a timeline for they are trying to implement the expanded retail elements?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are looking to begin everything this spring,starting with overall estetic makeover for the sheds, removing the scary chicken painting, and renovation surrounding buildings

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info downtown. do you have any links to press releases or master plan materials? or was this more of a community type meeting?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stick em up!!!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everything about the plan sounds good, except removing the old classic murals... i love those paintings...

Andylinn

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why does it say hart plaza in the title? are there plans for that area too?

Andylinn

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so wat type of merchandise would you all like to see wen visiting hart plaza and eastern market?

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to be able to buy a corn dog and some Motown CDs.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wen????

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this organization has been working or redevelopement plans for eastern market for 7 months now. with them announcing removal of the chicken painting outside the shed, bet you'll see progress by mid summer.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn there was an article in the detroit news yesterday on detailed plans for eastern market, someone check it out an post the renditions. thanx. i can't shrink images on my pc

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just post a link to this copywrited story?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077040903 64

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 777
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm afraid of what the market may become. As a weekly user, I want to see the market become more of a green market. I'd like more local cheeses and dairy, more local produce, more local meat and fowl all year round - not just in the winter. I hope that the organizers aren't looking to recreate Trapper's Alley or something.

I sent two emails with green market references and ideas for substantial Board candidates to Jim Sutherland, the market manager, as well as a letter on the subject to Kate Beebe and never had the courtesy of a reply. Somehow that tells me that they are going to go the Trappers Alley model - and that failed spectacularly.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only significant changes to the market is really an updating of the buildings, and diversifying the market a bit, makeing for more quality local products. Did you read the article?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I read the article before I made that post.

However, my comments arose from my personal experience I am in the market weekly (winter and summer, every Saturday) and see some changes, like the frozen shrimp guy. I do not yet see an expansion of local farmers' booths.

I do not see/hear that farmers like these are being recruited:
http://www.eatwild.com/product s/michigan.html

I do not notice that the Market manager has any knowledge of the green market concept that chefs and cooks frequent in other cities for the freshest and most unique produce. As I said, I'm worried that, in this era of tainted foods in the food chain, the Market managers are going to end up with cheap substitutes and commercial offerings in place of what Market users and prospective users really want - or would want if they were informed about what is possible for a city green market.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.