Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Death of John Cohen of AAA Picture Frame « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived out of state and received a phone call yesterday that native born Detroiter and fixture of the city's counter culture John Cohen died on Sunday at age 58. He apparently died on a sidewalk outside of his business that was located in the basement of John King's bookstore on Cass Ave just north of Wayne State.

John was a neighbor of mine in Corktown for years and became a drinking buddy and raconteur friend of mine. We spent many nights at places like the Anchor Bar discussing current events and history.

John was fond of festivals and some of you may know him from such events as the Dally in the Alley and the Positively Fourth Street event to name a few that he attended.

His resemblance to Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead was often noted by strangers in public.

The bad news is the John was somewhat destitute as he never did very well with his picture frame business even though he did quality work. I always told him that he didn't charge enough for his work. I have a half dozen frame in my place that he did.

I was told that he is in the Wayne County morgue unclaimed for the moment as some peripheral family members of his have chosen not to claim his body.

If anyone who knew John is interested in possible funeral arrangements for him that some friends are trying to organize I will provide my email address in a later post.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told yesterday that John Cohen's body was undergoing toxicology tests at Wayne County morgue. He died on a Cass Ave sidewalk on 25 March near his shop. More on this when more info is available.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the loss of your friend.

James

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.