Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bureau of Urban Living Opening April 17!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read on Bureau's website that they are opening April 17. I cannot wait to spend money there. I've walked by and it looks great.

If you have not already checked out their website, it is http://www.bureauliving.com.

This will be an EXCELLENT addition to Midtown Retail!

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Blondy. Based on their website, I will be a frequent customer.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh NO!!
My wife is sure to find this urban Ikea.
Hide the checkbook, cancel th credit card.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this place going to be cheap? I need some cheap house stuff.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Blondy, for the tip. I had been wondering...

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there going to be canfield sinage?

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this store is a breakthrough for the entire city.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be much cheaper and have more choices to just purchase online elsewhere and seek out merchants with inexpensive S&H? Somehow, I get the impression that their prices may not be low.

Words like "designer" this or that are tipoffs to their having much higher prices...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, if that is your philosophy on shopping then please don't ever lament the lack of shopping options in the city of Detroit.

Words like "designer" this or that are tipoffs that they aren't selling ugly crap. It doesn't necessarily mean "much higher prices." Obviously Target and Ikea have much higher prices because they have "designer" merchandise! Just because something looks good doesn't mean it is going to cost a ton more.

Also on their website them mention they will sell "everyday basics," but of course you left that out. Typical DetroitYes crap, only focus on what you want to see.

My only wish is that they are too expensive for you to shop there.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on hipster!

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a sure sign that the demographic in the greater downtown area.has changed while the rest of the city gets dollar mart

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be, and probably will be more expensive than buying the cheapest thing you can find online, but when things cost more that you purchase, it is generally the convenience that is the difference. And some people just like to shop as in, walk into a store, look around, and see what you are about to purchase in person. Buying things online, I personally don't consider 'shopping.'

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna just throw this out there ... how about everyone just wait until they open, go in, look at the merchandise and the pricing, and THEN decide if it is more expensive that the cheapest thing you can find online. If you can find the stuff online.

I have a feeling people will consider the pricing in this store a great value. And please note: value does not just equal cheap. It means quality of what you get for the price.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purchased goods are not really that much different than real estate in this regard: Cost does not equal value. If equal or comparable items are available elsewhere cheaper, then why not go there? A corollary is why shop and pay more if the amenities of the pricier shop are not that important?

In any event, many questions may be answered in fewer than three weeks. BTW, I thought New Urbanists were into online shopping. Maybe, Detroit's are different in this regard...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is this place going to be cheap? I need some cheap house stuff."

Salvation Army!

also when Gramma was alive we'd go to the Estate Room at her assisted living center, lots of nice things there for cheap.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8709
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Purchased goods are not really that much different than real estate in this regard: Cost does not equal value. If equal or comparable items are available elsewhere cheaper, then why not go there? A corollary is why shop and pay more if the amenities of the pricier shop are not that important?

I would be willing to pay a little more because it would support a business in the community as opposed to a website. The business will help the area become better and hopefully more retail will lead to more population.

Not everything in life is a matter of dollars and cents. I like a good deal but I also like to have stores in my neighborhood that I can support and can in return support the neighborhood.

I could order a book from Amazon and save a few cents but I would prefer to have the option of walking to Borders for a book. Your wallet is one consideration when shopping but there are others that come into play as well.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like JT1's outlook on this issue.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the ad it says that you will be able to buy online at some point, so you can do both, go there and support them online.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my point is ... who is saying it is going to be more expensive??? You all are making this assumption and you have no idea if it is true!

In specialty retail you tend not to find insane variations on pricing between bricks and mortar stores and web stores, because most places are both.

The web is great for finding deals on name brand things, big ticket items, media, clothing, etc. Is it a good place to comparison shop for a set of funky dinner plates? Probably not.

You bargain hunters may also want to think about a huge problem we have in this region, and that is the lack of variety. For all the bitching and moaning about "suburbanization," one might think the entry of independent & unique & beautifully put-together stores into the city would be welcomed without giving them a reputation as overpriced before they even open.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody will ever pay $200 for a cocktail shaker.

Unless, of course, the correlation of design between the individual items will ensure harmonious table settings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.