Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Looking down the street. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Congress
2. Lafayette
3. Jefferson
4. (going on a limb) Warren.
5. Washington BLVD.
6. Woodward.
7. Woodward. (again)
8. Washington BLVD. (again)

Flybydon

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Urbanize.
Sorry about that double post of Washington Blvd.

Urbanize

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ty Flybydon. I see I'm the only one interested in this game. It was fun to me though. Do another one if you can.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the photos. I would have played but it looks like we already have the answers.

I always enjoy seeing your aerial pictures of Detroit. Keep em' coming!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi.

2. is Fort, not Lafayette. Lafayette is all of the way over on the left

Urbanize

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops, I don't win yet....

1. Congress
2. Fort st.
3. Jefferson
4. (going on a limb) Warren.
5. Washington BLVD.
6. Woodward.
7. Woodward. (again)
8. Washington BLVD. (again)

NOW I do.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don, any shots of the B-C and the empty site next door?

Urbanize

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ty Craig for helping. Someone else (or you) could have easily named all the streets at once and won. I notice it was Fort when I saw 1000 or 1001 Woodward too far off to the left.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, im new here... what do you do that you have aerial photos of the city on demand? I assume that "fly by" has something to do with it. Is that a helicopter, plane or what?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work downtown in the Lafayette Bldg. Last time I was in the City (I have to admit it was a couple years ago) the windows of the building were all broken. Anybody know what's going on with that building? I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'm a newbie LOL

I love your pics Flybydon!

Flybydon

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonnyfive: http://www.aerialpics.com

Psip: Taken today.

Thanks Blueidone. Pleased you all enjoy my images.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, one more request: Do you have any recent pics of Cadillac Square? The only thing I've had to go on for its progress is the little end of it you see on the CM webcam, lol. Thanks Don, and thanks for sharing your awesome pics with us.

Craig

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone - the Lafayette now serves as a urinal for pedestrians (no joke). Somewhere along the way a hipster with a camera got onto the roof and shot a picture of small tree growing, presumably out of the roof! It's a sad state, but the Coney's are still going strong.

Psip

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Don!

Blueidone

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Craig...do you know if there are any plans to refurbish/remodel/demolish it? Part of my job was delivering to atty offices all around downtown. Every time I stepped outside the smell of the coneys made me HUNGRY! It's been over 20 yrs since I worked down there..it sure has changed. Some for the good...some not

Flybydon

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy: nothing at this time showing the whole square. When I have a bit more time I'll have a look through some on my DVDs.

Thank you all for your kind words,
It's always nice to be appreciated.
Don

One for the road.
Hamtramck today

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone, according to the Kraemer Design Group, the Peebles Corp. of Miami has plans to convert it to residential, but its been pretty quiet for a while. I'm sure there are forumers here with more knowledge on it's status.

http://www.thekraemeredge.com/ - Go to "our work" then to "on the boards."

Blueidone

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Andyguard73!

Craig

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: plans for the Lafayette building... I cannot imagine that there are any beyond pie-in-the-sky. There are so many other nicer abandoned buildings downtown that I'd rate the likelihood around 0. I can imagine what the street looked like when the building was full - probably the only good aspect is that it's easier to get a table at Lafayette.

It must have been a beautiful town when Toyota was only a joke...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, nice stuff! I love aerial shots and aircraft in particular. What type airplane you flying? If you do requests, please do a fly-under of the Ambassador Bridge. Some crazy pilot went under the Blue Water last year. Was that you?

Flybydon

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet: Under the Blue Water? Nope, not me.
Flying under a bridge is not that big of a deal. Unless its inverted. http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ae Emunzebk

Camera platform: http://www.aerialpics.com/P/eq uipment.html

Psip

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Flying under a bridge is not that big of a deal."
Unless a submarine surfaces :-)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don,

Did you take these pictures on Wednesday Afternoon? I thought I saw a plane that looked like it was taking pictures last Wednesday.

Or maybe it was friday...

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like the Hamtown shot there Don. Shows you the amazing 2 story residential density that exists in that incredibly diverse town.

Keep up the good work as usual!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3751
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots Flybydon. Thanks.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is really amazing, and most don`t know this, he is using a Kodak Pocket Instamatic. Ha, the cat is out of the bag! Super pics! Thank you.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like the Hamtown shot there Don. Shows you the amazing 2 story residential density that exists in that incredibly diverse town.

------------------------------ ----------------

I see that pic and just shudder at the thought of being crammed in so close to neighbors with so many people, I guess I just dont get the beauty of concrete. To each his own eh?

*note* I am not bashing the city or anyone who lives there, just saying that its not for me.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3218
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cardinal is a good airplane for picture taking; no wing struts to block the view.

I think I asked you before, but do you keep your airplane at City? Are the hangar rental fees reasonable?

Flybydon

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milkem: Yes, I do base at City (KDET Detroit’s Eastside Jewel) and very pleased to say for more than twenty years.
Hangar fees are reasonably priced, however considering the condition and age they could be pricy to some.

Considering the national shortage of hangar space KDET is ideal for any urban pilot that needs fast easy access to their aircraft.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8739
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Re: plans for the Lafayette building... I cannot imagine that there are any beyond pie-in-the-sky. There are so many other nicer abandoned buildings downtown that I'd rate the likelihood around 0.

That is incorrect. And no, it is not a pedestrian urinal.

Blueidone

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1..Do you know something beyond what is on the Kraemer website? I always thought the building had a lot of character. I would love to see it be useful again.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the Hamtramck picture!

Urbanize

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope one day DET will be able to reopen and be functional like PTK, FNT, GRR, CLE, and DTW.

Urbanize

Post Number: 480
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, forgot, and like MBS.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.