Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Enough about Tara Grant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8668
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be a cold hearted asshole but does she deserve another front page story. How many people have gone missing/been murdered since her.

I am getting really annoyed that somehow she has become the only victim the news would like to discuss:

Tucked away in the news is the story of the still missing Brownstown Township woman and a story about a Taylor (I think) murder suicide that happened in front of the people's children. How about some coverage for the family whose son just got shot over a basketabll game in SW Detroit.

I guess all of those people are less important that Tara Grant and her family.

Sorry for the rant but the coverage of her and lack of coverage of other victims makes me sick.

Here are the story referred above. They will get their one article then be forgotten:

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/M ETRO01/703270377/1006

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/M ETRO01/703270406/1006

Here is another about a boy that died when he crashed into a utility pole. His families pain must be insignificant:

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/M ETRO01/703270384/1006

Death in domestic assault. Not important:

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070326/M ETRO01/703260368/1006

Teen accidentally kills friend - obviously unimportant

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/M ETRO03/703220309/1014

I feel bad for Tara Grant's family but she is no more important that hundreds of others that die in SE Michigan every year and certainly should not get more coverage for her and her family than all of the other victims and their families combined.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your such a cut-up!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Jt1, you're not cold-hearted.

The problem with the media nowadays is that they don't apply consistent logic regarding what is and what is not a news story.

Your examples above prove that to a "T"

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8669
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mafia,

I may misunderstand your post but I certainly was not trying to be funny or flippant. I just don't understand how the news decides that one families pain is that much more important than anothers.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just don't understand how the news decides that one families pain is that much more important than anothers.

I'm sure that part of their decision-making come from the traffic they get on the original story they put up on their websites. Another factor is whether or not it gets picked up by the national media, as did the Grant case.

You and I may not like it, but it sells. My advice is to just ignore it. Our own lives are way too short.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the hard, blatant truth about why this is a big story in the daily newspapers - because for the people in the suburbs who constitute the overwhelming majority of daily newspaper readers, murders like a kid getting shot in Detroit over something trivial, or some white trash guy who made his wife disappear, are relatively common.

The murder of a wife by a husband, both middle-class professional whites in the exurbs, is exceedingly rare, and because the two are very similar to their neighbors, friends, etc., the story strikes a chord with the demographic who regularly reads newspapers - the same demographic the victims come from.

This isn't rocket science. It's the same math that's been brought up on this site over and over - when there are 300, 400 murders per year in Detroit, one murder doesn't stand out above another unless it is particularly gruesome or unusual. You can count on one hand how many murders will take place in the exurbs this year, and thus, being a rarer occurrence, these incidents are interesting to people.

It's as simple as the old adage that there's no story in dog bites man; it's when man bites dog that it becomes newsworthy. When we have 300, 400 murders a year, it is dog bites man.

If the dailies wrote five articles about each murder victim in the city, the paper would be nothing but death stories, which of course would lead to accusations here on this forum that the newspapers focus only on the negative about the city.

The pain of the families in the city is no less than that of the families of victims in the suburbs, nor are the victims' lost lives any less important. All murders are unjust, all deaths are sad. But stories aren't written to soothe the pain of a victim's relatives, they're written in regards to what interests the suburban readership (and suburban advertisers who cater to that readership), and yet another senseless murder in the city of Detroit is not particularly interesting to jaded suburbanites, many of whom never venture anywhere near the city limits and really don't care anymore what happens there.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MWW syndrome.

See Lacey Peterson.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't read the story about her in the Sunday paper, but it appeared to deal Tara Grant and her sister growing up together. That angle on the story is going to play well among woman and especially white woman. There are plenty of white woman in this state, so there you have it.

I just did a quick check on that story in the Sunday paper and it was actually written by her sister. That sounds like something Oprah would have on her show. I'd bet good money that Tara's sister does in fact appear on Oprah in the coming weeks/months.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11441
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I may be a cold hearted asshole but does she deserve another front page story. How many people have gone missing/been murdered since her.

You're not cold hearted, all of us are sick of hearing about it. Enough already! She's dead, they have the guy in custody that chopped her up, I really don't care to hear about the pain and suffering her family is going through. My sympathy goes out to the family, but your face really no longer need to be in front of a media camera. Most of us have been there, end this soap opera already.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Anna Nicole Smith - I have had more than enough of all that!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"just did a quick check on that story in the Sunday paper (which was given a huge amount of Sunday space!)and it was actually written by her sister. That sounds like something Oprah would have on her show. I'd bet good money that Tara's sister does in fact appear on Oprah in the coming weeks/months"

So, our local papers are now a combination of The Shopping News and O Magazine! That's why I don't buy them anymore - they don't cover news, they pander and they have started to give advice and orders! Make a little note of all the silly, cutesy advice the two dailies have started to dish out. Also, recently I saw nearly a quarter page column on how to fry bacon for a Saturday morning breakfast (lay the strips out in a cold frying pan), if you are "staying in" as opposed to "going out"! They are drivel!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this site, but have been reading the wealth of information on the various threads and learning so much about the City of Detroit that I never knew. Just wanted to comment that I totally agree with you Jt1. It was a gruesome crime...but isn't every murder? And what about leaving the family alone to grieve instead of asking inane questions like "How are you feeling right now?"

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

Bad on me. Just a stupid joke... not commenting on your actual concern in your original post.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it bleeds it leads, TV.....
If she's white you hear about it all night.....
Chopped into little pieces, and spread around a park. Screams to be headlines as long as they can milk it. The poor lady is dead.

But, did they ever find her HEAD??????????

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such an Odyssey!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough about Tara Grant

THANK YOU! I've been saying that for weeks. Maybe now that her bits and pieces are in the ground, the media will lay off. At least until the trial starts.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The media does not exist to provide us with information. It's only purpose is to generate revenue by getting you to watch or read the advertisements that they sell. If enough people want to hear about the dumb crap that they show then they are doing their jobs.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always a media circle jerk when something like this happens. And "something like this" has it's connotations. "Something like this" sells papers. "Something like this" holds TV gawking believers hostage. "Something like this" is the recycled swallowing of regurgitated conditioning. It's psychological terrorism. It's gossip. It's spectacle. It's circus freak-show. It's helicopters hovering over a traveling caravan. It's pointed to be pointless. And it has no affect on our real lives. It stays behind glass as we're encouraged to provokingly tap on it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5672
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tara Grant will be missed. She was a wonderful woman who sets her plan for the future of the her life.

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone should be missed when they die, and it's awful what happened to her. It's just that the media giving focused attention to stories like this is like holding a popularity contest posthumously.

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, the irony that this thread is titled "Enough about Tara Grant" and the fact that we keep going on about it isn't lost on me.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you 1805 Its over and done with time for the media to move on let the families heal.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I just found another source that's adding to the overkill. I'm with you all -- enough already!

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/97963.html?1175028315

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd, I said it wasn't lost on me!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ffdfd, I said it wasn't lost on me!

Yeah, you beat me to the punch. Didn't see your post because I was trying to figure out how to paste this thread, going through atdetroit instead of detroityes. So much for my timing.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe now that her bits and pieces are in the ground, the media will lay off."

How would you feel about this reference to "bits and pieces" if this was your sister, or daughter?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why so much Tara? Interesting question.

There may be some political biases that shape the front page, but these fall short of conspiracy. And I believe that race may also be a factor, but I don't see a conspiracy to keep minorities out of the paper. I do believe that a mix of old-fashioned capitalism and our natural tendencies influence what makes the paper.

"The paper"/media stay in business by giving us what we want, and "we" tend to want glamor and to learn about people further up the socio-economic scale Anthropologist or psychologists might be able to tell us why. My guess is that we expect bad things to happen to the poor and the common, but beautiful and sexy and celebrity is interesting. Be honest: would you reach for a story about another crackhead in Detroit or the story about the entertainer crackhead (i.e. Whitney Houston)? Can you analyze yourself enough to know the reason why? Bottom line: people enjoy scandal, especially when dressed in prestige and sex appeal.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you wont people to stop talking about Tara Grant so you post here to state so? Don't you see the irony?

Ha Ha just read 1805... nearly the same thing I said!

(Message edited by detroitplanner on March 27, 2007)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when the media is running stories about crime in Detroit, you guys all bitch and moan about how it makes Detroit look bad and how the media has an anti-Detroit agenda. When the media focuses on suburban crime, you guys all bitch and moan that they AREN'T paying enough attention to Detroit crimes. Which one is it, you WANT Detroit murders to be splashed all over the news or you don't? I'm starting to think that nothing the media can do will makes you guys happy.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE just want the news to be like the news should be (never will happen).

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about the "drama" if there's no drama behind it all then it is considered boring for the news to continue to cover. eg "anna nicole smith"

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize-how SHOULD the "news" be?

Urbanize

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should cover all the stories that are actually important and not take up all the air time half investigating one issue.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not news any longer...At one point it was...Considering what’s going on in the world and Michigan Tara's story is so miniscule. Poverty? Why people are in poverty...blablabla
The mainstream news is almost worthless. I say almost because i like sports.

in my opinion...
Good worldly radio news can be found at wbai.org

Urbanize

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The mainstream news is almost worthless. I say almost because i like sports."

That like me saying it because I like the weather. The news is generally worthless to me, I just watch to see Gaidica and Hodak.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to tell you all what my husband said just now, while reading the thread titles of this Forum. Let me also say he doesn't read the local papers, and never looks at television.
He got to this thread and he said "Who is Tara Grant?" He is not joking he really doesn't know. I had to tell him just now!

The moral of the story we can't read or listen to our local media then we won't have to hear about this day and night.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And at the same time, where's all the coverage of missing Lizzie Mae Collier-Sweet? Today WDIV is running a follow-up story on police searching the Rouge River. But, a couple of days ago, when I wanted to ask this question, I tried to verify the spelling of her name. Searches for "Sweet" on all the local medium turned up NOTHING - not even archived info.

Maybe it's like one of her relatives said: if she had been a young, attractive, white woman who disappeared mysteriously, they might have covered her story a bit more and gotten more information about her case out in the public.

(Message edited by mtm on March 29, 2007)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Today WDIV is running a follow-up story on police searching the Rouge River

This story was on Channel 7 this morning too so maybe it is starting to get more attention.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps. But she's been missing since JANUARY. And when her house burned and she disappeared, news coverage was nowhere near the coverage on the Grant case.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iheartthed, does MWW syndrome stand for "murdered white woman" ?

cuz if so, you're certainly right. the media seems to place the highest priority on the mysterious death of white women or teenage girls. nothing else comes close to mattering. its ridiculous. i dont even watch the news anymore. i go to bbc news website for news that is more entertaining and interesting and relevent in the world. they even do pretty well for american news.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.