Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hotel EddyStone « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone on here know what was going on in there today. I saw sparks on one of the middle floors. I'm not sure if it was signs of development or a circuit problem. Does anyone have info on this?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope it wasn't a circuit problem.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone at this forum:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.co m/showthread.php?p=2687379

...seems to believe that the EddyStone is slated for rehabilitation by Detroit Urban Living. In fact they say the Harbor Light Center next to it is to be renovated AFTER the EddyStone is completed. I also saw a link to an article from 2005 which also stated:

"Detroit’s Eddystone Hotel, a Cass Corridor landmark, is to be redeveloped into 60 residential loft-style condominiums and retail shops — using a $641,000 state single-business-tax credit; an additional $1.1 million in city, county and state tax incentives; and $6.4 million in private investment."

The link to the article was expired, unfortunately.

Urbanize

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but there hasn't been any updates on development plans though, so that's why I'm asking.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the developer who worked on the carlton lofts in brush park is the one working on both the eddystone and the harbor lights (aka hotel park avenue) projects. when i spoke to a sales representative over at the carlton a few months back she told me they were waiting for it to start selling more units before they started working on the eddystone. she did not tell me exactly which was to happen first, but i definitely got the impression it was the eddystone.

however the power is still on in the eddystone, so i would not rule some kind of electrical failure out unfortunately.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

at the carlton a few months back she told me they were waiting for it to start selling more units before they started working on the eddystone.

Considering the slow sales at the Carlton you have to wonder if that particular developer will be the one to disprove PT Barnum.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8664
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a reason they aren't selling. Prices at the Carlton are outrageous.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a contractor in the area I have been working on pricing for the renovation of the Eddystone for over a year. The GC working with the owners urban living is the monahan company (crystal lofts) I just recently re-submitted pricing for the hotel and that's all I have right now but I do know they are getting close to starting.
Having been through the building there really isn't TOO much work that needs to be done the structure is in great shape.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8666
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. It's nice to hear info from people that have real facts not 3rd hand non-sense.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"3rd hand non-sense."

I heard the Greektown Hotel is going to be the tallest building in the world...

Urbanize

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, where did you hear that Jonnyfive? Besides, it wouldn't fit in with the skyline because it would be the only Skyscraper the city has. Those other buildings are what would be considered High-Rises.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was joking... 3rd hand non-sense...

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Penobscot, the The Ren Cen and Comerica Tower are all considered skyscrapers.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been involved on two different window bids for the Eddystone now over the past year.

It seems like it is never going to start.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always read 90-100 meters was the mark for skyscrapers, no? that would mean 20-25 buildings qualify

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly johnny.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry to hijack this... bumping this for more Eddystone news...

Brightmoor
Username: Brightmoor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it going to be a gated community? ha ha

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.