Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Growing up on East State Fair Street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's Burbank Elementary, Heilman Park, was a happening street with kids playing now its a ghost town ? Anyone else who grew up there ? Maybe we know each other :-))

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took swim at Heilman in the 80's !

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hang out for at time with a cop's kid near Redmond by the name of Garber. Also played ball with the Falks, big white house 2nd one from Redmond on the south side of the street. My buddy I grew up with was married at one time to Julie Radwonski who lived on the opposite side of the street. I went out with Colleen Osimilac for a short time, lived off of Cordell. I remember waiting for the old guys finish playing Bocce' ball(spelling) so we could play ball on the old pea gravel baseball diamonds at Burbank.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I delivered papers with one of the Falk brother's. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. I always thought the big white house was so out of place for that neighborhood.

Radwonski sounds very familiar as well.

Gtat44

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there were 2 of them that delivered papers, at the time I did. Danny and the youngest can't remember his name but everyone in the neighborhood called him Bipp. Jeff Radwonski also delivered with us. Out of the old meat market, that was turned into the paper station on Boulder. Still remember Joe Lupo the station manager to this day.

Imhere

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bipp, that was it. And Yes Jeff Radwonski. I probably delivered papers around the same time as you did. I worked my route from '80 - '85.

My brother had a route from '78 - '80 that I would sub on every once in a while.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the Detroit News route on State Fair near Burbank and Heilman in about 64 or 65. Then I sold it for a bigger route on Fairmount.

The market on Boulder was R & F Market, but everyone called it Frank's.

The big white house on State Fair near Redmond was owned by the Dewey family when I was a kid. Later, when the Dewey's moved, some tough kid from the inner city moved in. I can't remember his name.

Imhere

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From about '81 - '84, I had the biggest route in that station. Mine was on Rossini from Boulder to Kelly. I had a couple houses on Rossini between Redmond and Boulder, then had some people in the apts on Kelly and Eastburn. Then I delivered to my own neighbors on Eastburn.

When my customers started passing away, the new people moving in didn't really want the paper, so I lost the largest route title.

OK, Now I think I have official highjacked my 1st thread. :-)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents lived on State Fair between Gratiot and Queen from 1948 to 1980. I spent quite a bit of time over there. My grandfather had Boland Real Estate on Gratiot just south of State Fair and my great-uncle owned Esquire Barber Shop next door.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 837
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived not to far from(early 80's) burbank and heilman as a kid but even then we never played there. We just messed around in our alley on Novara.

Gtat44

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I delivered on Lappin and Maddelein, also some odd ball customers on Liberal. Late 70's early 80's. Name is George. Lived at 15834 Lappin between Redmond and Rex. Grew up with the Bunnich's mostly but knew the Tanner's (Puddy) the Gill's, Paul Barba (kinda looked like Sammy Hagar) drove around the General Lee car. Also Mathteau's and Maurer's. Went out with their youngest daughter Kathy for about 2 years. Worked at Johnny Mac's on 7 Mile at the same time as doing my route.

Imhere

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think everyone knew Paul Barba. He and my Brother were good friends. He lived down the street from me when he died. Must have been 10 years ago now.

The rest of the names don't ring any bells.

I lived at 16013 Eastburn, between Redmond and Bringard. Name is Steve.

Imhere

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Now to get the thread, somewhat, back on track.

I took swimming lessons at Heilman. No sooner did I finish my lessons, I broke my arm and ended up forgetting everything I learned. Haven't been that great of a swimmer since.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heilman was swimming and tennis in the summer and ice skating in the winter. We would ride our bikes from Denby to play over there thought it was a big adventure....My cousin went to St. Jude. I remember the tennis league in 8th grade going to play all over the east-side...Brought a lot of kids together who would not normally interact...Great fun and great lessons. denby 77

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heilmann was the place to be in the 60s. Does anyone remember waiting in line for over an hour on hot summer days to get in swimming when Heilmann was an outdoor pool (capacity of 208)? It seemed that all the baseball diamonds were booked during summer evenings also. Yes, tennis was really popular in the early 70s. I worked as a lifegaurd 73-74 at Heillmann (when it was indoors)..there were still a lot of kids swimming and the 9pm adult swim was always crowded. Does anyone remember when Heilmann field was a Nike Missle site in the early 50s? I heard soldiers attended Mass at St. Jude. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Frank Toomey or Peggy the lifegaurd who were there during the 70s?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4204
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandma lived on corner of Rossini and Boulder. Dad went to Denby, class of 1964...I have tons of stories to share from him.

Jokerman

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad: I totally forgot about the missile site at St. Jude field. I do remember standing in lines for the pool at Heilman. Do you remember the pigeon races?

During summer we used to play baseball at Heilman from dawn to dusk, unless we were in the pool.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman,
I had heard that the Nike missile site was located at Heilmann field (not St. Jude field). Although at one time it could have been both. Please refresh my memory about the pigeon races. It sounds vaguely familiar.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1984, when I returned to the area from El Salvador, we rented a house on Fordham, a block south of 7 mile and three houses west of Kelly, because my ex had grown up on State Fair during the 60's and early 70's. Wow, what a rude awakening! There was a car-b-que in Heilmann about every third night, as they ditched the cars they had stole there and set them on fire!

I remember stumbling home from Little Bills(?) bar on Kelly to home after midnight sometimes and seeing all sorts of stuff going on over there. Often times you could hear the gunshots coming from all around and I wondered if we would hear about people being found dead over there!! What a shame, as reading the posts here makes it sound like a totally different place to me!

The last straw came three weeks to the day that we moved in-when returning home during daylight, I noticed the door kicked-in and everthing of value gone! The neighbor said "I didn't see or hear anything. Too bad!". That was it for me!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman,
Were the pigeon races the elimination races the lifeguards setup in the swimming pool after they announced the rules? Sometimes the winner would be determined by who could make the biggest splash off the high diving board. I'm not sure if they were called "pigeon races". Great memories!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took swimming lesons at Heilmann in the early 80's. Also during the summer, we would attend the open swim and kids swim in the summer.

I went to Burbank for kindergarden and middle school and after school we would play baseball at the gravel playfield behind it.

I also played little league for Wishegan-Heilmann Athletic Club. I remember we had to sell raffle tickets to pay for our uniforms and all the neighbors would get hit up from all us kids on the street.

Jokerman

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad:You are right about the base at Heilman, not St. Jude. I mis-wrote what I meant to write, but, it was at the St. Jude field end of the park.

The pigeon races were held in the middle of most swim sessions. They would make everyone get out of the pool and hold various types of races.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.