Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » ~~~March 29, 1969~~~ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the final resting place of Officer Michael Czapski? Further, does anyone have a photo of him while he was alive and/or one of his grave?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, send me an email PsipDetroit at Gmail dotcom.
I do not have anything right now, but may in the near future.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's this all about?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.odmp.org/officer.ph p?oid=3740

3 or 4 paragraphs down.
http://detroit1701.org/NewBethel.htm

(Message edited by rjk on March 26, 2007)

(Message edited by rjk on March 26, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time Magazine coverage:

http://www.time.com/time/magaz ine/article/0,9171,900748,00.h tml?iid=chix-sphere

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why were there people standing around with rifles and why'd they shoot at a police officer?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a copy of Detroit Scope magazine that features a story about the shooting of officer Czpaski and his partner. The book Who Killed Detroit touches on the incident. I can't help but wonder if there are fewer incidents of officers murdered in the line of duty because our society no longer condones or tolerates police abuse and misconduct.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure remember the "Sock-it to Crockett" bumper stickers.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I understand it Czapski was just a City kid who joined the DPD to do a job. His murderers went on to run and hide in the church of Aretha Franklin's father (Little Rock Baptist?).

And for TerryH, I respond: I can't help but wonder into violent,lawless pit of hell society would descend if men and women like Czapski didn't volunteer to stand as a line between ordered society and selfish nihilists. I lost track of the number of officers killed when I lived in the City, and I remain convinced that all were martyred in the cause of peace.

Terryh

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know not all police officers are bad apples Craig, but when you grow up on the wrong side of the tracks like I did you tend to see life from a different perspective. Give Americans the freedom citizens in other democracies enjoy; fix the complicated and expensive health care system; protect jobs; share the wealth etc. Police officers should be fighting for social justice instead of insulting; profiling; antagonizing etc. In my years of 'misbehaving' Craig the majority of police officers have been more than fair and professional. I wouldn't want to be in law enforcement because I don't agree with many of our laws and sentencing guidelines.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TerryH - OK, I'll call off the dogs.

No question, there are thugs in uniform, now and back when Czapski was murdered. But growing up a relatively good kid in a very rough town I do sometimes wonder: what keeps the lid on? I believe that it's the knowledge that guys in blue will haul bad guys in --or sometimes just kick their asses-- that gave us the little peace that we knew in my 'hood.

I read in a red/anarchist paper once that if the police were abolished then society would happily and effectively police itself. If anyone wants to bet against I'll lay $10 that in this scenario there are riots and atrocities within a few hours. I want to trust humanity, but where I'm from I learned that the willingness of too many to do evil (e.g. steal my stuff, hurt my family for fun) is unbelievable and real. I'll point to Devil's Night as my example.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terryh, I replied to your classified post, you still interested? lemme know.

Terryh

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough Craig.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.