Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cobo roof « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quick question: is the exit from the cobo roof deck parking lot right next to entrance to the lot? when you exit the lot do you end up back on congress?

Jrich2425
Username: Jrich2425

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, totally worth a thread.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 526
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, totally worth a thread.

Wow, totally worth the reply.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, hey this is fun.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, knowledge is power

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, opening day is eight days away!

Urbanize

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is sick.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 712
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be a downer and ruin the 'wow factor' on this thread, but was that spiral ramp and roof parking original to Cobo, or was it added during the 80s face-lift?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup! This topic has HOF written all over it.

Urbanize

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I really don't know and don't care.

Wow, someone needs to delete this topic.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, to add a little bit more meat to this thread...There is a tube that comes over to Joe Louis from Cobo. Where does that tube start from? I parked at the underground Cobo garage and the parking guy told me I had to walk down to the river to get to the Joe from there. Thanks in advance.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 258
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's actually the second ramp, the first was at the south west corner you can still see some of the remains.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh God. Try to have a good-old fashioned intellectual exchange on this board and in minutes someone has sunk slogan-ering, profanity and personal attacks. Alternately, try to use the board to leverage the collective knowledge of the on-line "community" and someone finds it necessary to attack the poster. What's left? Why bother?

I've found a happier place: more playful, more forgiving and less given to ideological rants. I've also found that the mention of its name is forbidden here, so I'll mention that it's in Detroit, the color is Fudge, and the discourse is Hot (not sexual). Anyone who's disgusted with the condescending crap posted as replies above is welcome to visit. Google the words.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow wow wee waa!!!

Urbanize

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, the person's question was answered. So how are we attacking the poster of the thread?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its funny how trolls eventually expose themselves.

Urbanize

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its funny how trolls eventually expose themselves."

There was no sense in lying, as that is the truth. You guys wanted to discuss about the different roofs.

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've enjoyed Cobo roof at the last four electronic music festivals. It's a great place to chill out, bust out the grill and cooler, and have a mini-picnic.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you go, use this:

Craig

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PSIP - do you mean me as a "troll?" If so, then argue how my observation about this board is wrong, but without the personal attacks. If you're teeing off on someone else then forgive my sensitivity, but do explain yourself.

What pains me about this board is that it falls short. The site that I mentioned is one of sophomoric pranksters and camaraderie - does not seem to want to be more. This place, but for those who seem to not remember how adults argue differing POVs, could be like a university seminar but it comes up short, e.g. "George Bush is evil" instead of "misguided read of facts leading to faulty policy."

I wish that there were more decorum and mutual respect here. It's funny that the site of the "clowns" aligns closer with standards of polite discourse than here and some members.

Psip

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My comment is simply an observation about someone who posts a pontification about the entire forum then spams another.
If you feel this comment is directed to you, so be it.
This thread is not the place to discuss the merits of DetroitYes.
Some threads are foolish, this being one of them.IMO

Craig

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^...but this is the spot to pile on to one asking a question? Cmubryan - evidently you're a fool for asking, and responders, you're doubly foolish for dignifying the original question and embellishing with more details.

Really, PSIP you and the detractors are pompous asses for being impolite and figuratively not "turning the station" when you didn't like what was on this "channel." Me, evidently I am a fool for naming a shortcoming of this place which purports to be a meeting place for thinking adults. Shame on me for noting that there are examples of better behavior in our own town. Think I'll just go and read a book.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes all kinds of people to make a community.

Every thread has different types of comments.

So, why judge and fixate on some of them to your own frustration?

Thing is... the entrance and the exit lanes are the same. They change direction as determined by the attendants (relative to whether a big event is starting or ending).

Psip

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I do not know Cmubryan, seeing that they have been a poster for going on 4 years, I would suspect they are humored by the posts. I do not see one post that belittles their charter or attacks them. As with most posts, a little jousting took place. Even then, there is valuable information posted by others,
You, Craig, on the other hand chose this thread as a soap box for name calling, and slander of the DetroitYes community. This is why I posted my 7 little words.
From Wikipedia:
TROLL: In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
What else would you call your post? I was not about to let that slide. I am sorry it hit to close to home.
You seem to have found a happier place: more playful, more forgiving and less given to ideological rants, in your opinion. Have fun there. Personally its not for me. Thanks for the invite.
I have read many of you posts. You normally seem thoughtful and have a working knowledge of the city. DY needs that type of input. I never saw any venom directed to you. Perhaps you are just having a bad day.
I suggest that if you have a problem with me or any other persons on DY, you start a thread on the subject and let the chips fall as they may.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big man on his big virtual soap box. The guy asked a legitimate question that he apparently had no one else to answer. How you do expect people to respond when skewered for asking a question?

Suck it up, PSIP, you blow. So do the rest of you "elitist" virtual hacks.

Hugs and kisses, shitass.

Psip

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mêmes à vous monsieur (same to you sir)

Urbanize

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Start of discussion: quick question: is the exit from the cobo roof deck parking lot right next to entrance to the lot? when you exit the lot do you end up back on congress?"

"Answer to Discussion: "yes".

End of discussion. S lets stop all the bickering about who's trolling and what not AND SPEAK ENGLISH!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5070
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an opportunity to learn a bit.

COBO HALL AND CONVENTION CENTER.
Built: Giffels and Rossetti, 1960. Addition by Sims-Varner, 1989.

By 1900, this land was covered by railroads and warehouses. Growing up in the 1940s, jjaba remembers the district in decline. We remember Vernor's at the foot of Woodward, we remember the Bo-lo Boat docks, we remember street car turnarounds and the hustle and bustle of the riverfront district, without really not seeing the river.

This was the onliest place Downtown Detroit could build such a massive place and with the John C. Lodge Expressway feeding it, this beautiful Civic Center was designed.

The building is so huge, it feels like the custom designed carpets warp with the curvature of the earth, according to the Detroit AIA guide.

The Sims-Varner logga addition, extends the building into the city, up, down, and around for an entire Detroit city block!

The Cobo Hall backside, the subject of this thread is a maize of tubes, pipes, People Mover peepholes into the building, and expressway on and off ramps. Congress Street would never ever be the same.

James A. Bailey was born nearby in 1847. We know him and his buddy PT Barnam from the circus.
He knew then about the Cobo Hall to come when he said,
"The public likes to be humbugged."

jjaba, Westsider.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 581
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Children. CHILDREN!!!!!!!!

Go outside and play.

Harsensis

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll repost since nobody has answered my question. Ok, to add a little bit more meat to this thread...There is a tube that comes over to Joe Louis from Cobo. Where does that tube start from? I parked at the underground Cobo garage and the parking guy told me I had to walk down to the river to get to the Joe from there. Thanks in advance.

Craig

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tube? Do you mean the tube that runs over the Lodge? This is a pedestrian cross-over that will get you from Congress (think Post Bar) to the JLA People Mover station and the arena's front door. The tube doglegs and continues into the JLA garage. I don't know what to tell you if you park underground at Cobo - I'd probably go out and to the river too to avoid getting lost inside of Cobo.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5087
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

London has tubes. Little trains run in them.

jjaba.

Urbanize

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^Detroit needs THOSE type of tubes. Chicago, New York and San Francisco has them.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 28, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5092
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deepest subway tunnel in N. America is under Washington Park, Portand, Oregon. At the station, passengers take the elevator up top. When you alight, you realize you're on the top of a mtn. 1,000 ft. above the city.

A group called Zoo Bombers take the train up there and then ride mini-bikes at breakneck speed back downtown. Sunday specticle in Portland.

jjaba, Far Westsider.

Harsensis

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Craig, I always thought that it went over to Cobo since it went off in that direction.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.