Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Independence TWP wants merger with Clarkston « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Independence wants merger with Clarkston

Web-posted Mar 22, 2007

By NATALIE LOMBARDO
Of The Oakland Press
http://www.theoaklandpress.com /stories/032207/loc_2007032237 .shtml

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5645
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First Farmington and Farmington Hills want to merge then comes Clarskton and Independence TWP.

What's next.

Highland Park, Hamtramck, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights and Redford TWP. merge with Detroit.

R.O. TWP. merge with Oak Park

Lathrup Village, Bingham Farms, Pleasant Ridge and Beverly Hills merge with Southfield.

Wayne and Garden City merge with Westland.

Ypsilanti TWP. merge with Ypsilanti.

All five Grosse Pointes merge.

Berkley, Huntington Woods merge with Royal Oak.

Center Line merge with Warren.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3883
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one problem with Royal Oak Twp and Royal Oak merging Danny... they don't touch each other.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to stick up for Danny, but that's not what he said.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pleasant Ridge is nowhere near Southfield.

Also, I find it interesting that Clarkston (a city) wants to UNincorporate and become part of the township. When I saw the thread title, I assumed Independence would be annexed into Clarkston. Is there any precedent for townships taking over cities?

And I can't believe that some Independence Township residents actually think they live in Clarkston. Even exurbanites aren't THAT dumb. :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The independence twp mailing address is Clarkston. Momma and Papa Chitaku live there and own the Big Boy on Dixie near M-15

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good I hope this happens, and stuff like the things Danny mentioned.

Its the only way we can rationalize our screwed-up juxtaposition of municipal governments. We can't pay for all of it as it is!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevertheless, how do you miss the "Welcome to Independence Township" signs you pass every time you go home, or that huge water tower just off the expressway with Independence Township written on it, or the county park named after Independence Township, or the fact that you're not paying Clarkston city taxes...it just blows my mind.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way screw the independence Township board and their law against signs. We couldn't even have a statue at our big Boy. What Big Boy doesn't have a statue?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should keep the name Independence Twp it sounds better than Clarkston Twp

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, the Big Boy on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills/Twp also doesn't have a statue, at least that I'm aware of. Now that I think of it, the one in Union Lake might also be statue-free. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fareast, there is no such township as Clarkston. Clarkston is a city (actually called the City of the Village of Clarkston no less!) and it's surrounded by Independence Twp.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what Clarkston is I just think that instead of Clarkston Twp they should keep the township called Independence. Clarkston could continue to exist as a Census Defined PLace.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read the article, you can see that Clarkson is rather wary of the idea. The title of the article is deceiving.

But, many in Clarkson may end up wanting to decorporate (word?). If they revert back to township status their taxes drop. Clarkson really doesn't make since. It's a half-square-mile in size, and shares a lot of its services with Independence Township, anyway. It's basically a neighborhood enclave.

It would have been nicer to see Independence wanting become Clarkson instead of vice-versa, though. I think once you get past 10,000 persons you should have to incorporate, anyway. Places like Canton Township just don't make since as townships besides them wanting to stay tax havens (i.e. leeches).

Fareastsider

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is funny how in the 50's and 60's township incorporated and seemed proud of it. Warren, Sterling Heights, Warren, Novi, etc. Now they do not incorporate such as MAcomb Twp, Clinton Twp, Canton Twp, Shelby Twp, Waterford Twp, and on and on

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 835
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another problem danny plesant ridge doesnt border southfield.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.