Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Favorite old road underpasses like at Bell Isle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, are any cool old tunnels or underpasses still in existence?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 8' 9", or whatever ridiculously low height it is, bridge on Grand Blvd. just before you approach Vernor from the North.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was the underpass leading to Belle Isle filled in?

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:11 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
When was the underpass leading to Belle Isle filled in?

Also, why was it? Was never able to figure that out.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The underpass for the Mt. Olivet cemetery under Outer Drive is pretty neat.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a freeway spur in Las Vegas that goes under the runways at McCarran Airport. Every time I go through it, I'd swear I was in the Detroit/Windsor tunnel.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was filled in in the early 1980's. It was phase one of the bridge rehab. It also included a new traffic pattern at the Blvd and Jefferson.

I would suspect that it was done mainly due to the cost. It was at the end of its life cycle and rather than replace it, they just got rid of it all together. Probably a combination of cost and need. By the 1980's the City had already lost a sizable chunk of its population, so traffic was less of a concern on both Jefferson and the Blvd.

I spent a fair amount of time on that construction site. I was in high school then, but my dad worked on it and my older brother and I were always going over there to visit him.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typo Alert. Surprised no one picked up on it. Saying Belle Isle with an "e" at the end makes it seem more important or fancy.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense. I was only a toddler in the early 1980's so I have no recollection of the underpass. By looking at that area now its hard to imagine it ever existing.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the one by MCS. If you head toward Michigan Avenue at night, you can't see the train station (cuz it's dark and there are no lights on inside it, obviously). You come up outta that tunnel and your headlights hit the train station. Very spooky, but very cool.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Saying Belle Isle with an "e" at the end makes it seem more important or fancy.

It is the French word for beautiful. It needs the e or else it is a totally different word.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know what you're talking about Ray. I have family in Vegas and I remember when they updated the airport

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6215
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Bussey, that overpass always seems freakishly low...

As for the B.I. approach, I put some photos of it up last week here:

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=334

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.