Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Will google transit trip planning make it to Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.google.com/transit

check it out

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a fantastic idea.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.hopstop.com

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that hopstop is pretty slick! I thought it was cool that google had so many, but if you look it is a stange hodge podge.

I really like DDOT's system (when it works). It just needs to linked into more such as the Peoplemover, SMART, Transit Windsor, Greyhound, and MEGABUS.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner has it exactly right. The problem with DDOT isn't DDOT; the problem with DDOT is that it operates as an island unto itself.

The organization that operates the PeopleMover has chosen, unwisely IMHO, to make it a completely disconnected service, with no connection to DDOT or SMART. Don't blame DDOT for that particular bad move.

There actually is some sort of temporary arrangement between Transit Windsor and DDOT/SMART but I don't remember the details... anyone?

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that DDOT and Transit Windsor will be working together at the Rosa Parks Transit Center. I don't know how temporary the agreement is. I heard about this at that transit meeting on Wednesday at the Guardian Building.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has the potential to be powerful. I, for one, always disregarded transit in Detroit due to the fact that I had NO idea how to use it. However, it will only fly with the integration of DDOT, SMART, Amtrak etc.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time poster, longtime reader.

Right now there is a transfer arrangement whereby Tunnel Bus riders get a free transfer to DDOT or SMART, and DDOT or SMART riders get 50c off the Tunnel Bus fare of $2.75.

For downtown workers and residents, the Tunnel Bus is a great way to catch lunch in Windsor. Get on the bus on its loop, or behind the Mariner's Church, quick stop at customs, and you're at Tunnel BBQ!

http://www.detroittransit.org/ transit_news_details.php?id=35

Flyer (PDF)
http://www.citywindsor.ca/Disp layAttach.asp?AttachID=6932

I absolutely agree that more important than changing or merging any one provider is better coordinating and supplying the relevant information. DDOT and SMART are much better now about not duplicating service, and somewhat better at coordinating routes. The new transfer boxes on DDOT are a start as well. The next step has to be coordinated signs, maps, and information (website, 800 #, etc.)

(DDOT is working on its signs and stops, and a new system map is due. As for why DTC is separate, my understanding is that DTC was created when SEMTA dropped management of DPM mid-construction.)

GoogleTransit and HopStop are very cool, perhaps outside forces like that might provide a first step at coordinated information.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.