Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Untold Tales, Unsung Heroes, Elaine Moon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone read this? It is a collection of short stories told by African Americans living in Detroit, mostly from World War I to present. There's a ton of history in it, one thing that stood out to me was the account of a Black Police Officer who lost his job once he bought a Packard. He was out of a job just long enough to lose the car, at which point he was told that his firing must have been a mistake, and he got his job back. Apparently the Packard was a status symbol.

Old news to you? Not to me.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6213
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elaine Moon, was a good friend and is a wealth of knowledge about Corrado Parducci.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owning a Packard was definitely a sign of status. The high-end Packards were on par with, if not superior to, the better Lincolns and Cadillacs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.