Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Is this funny? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so...and a lot of these pictures have been stolen apparently- not one photo credit.

If this has already been posted, forgive me.

http://www.damnfunnypictures.c om/html/Detroit-Is-Dying.html

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would this be funny to anybody?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About as funny as a kick in the 'nads.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's breaking my heart.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 841
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it looks like the house is on blocks getting prepared for a move. So the picture taker's caption "Detroit is Dying" is misinformed. As this house is presumably being saved.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the only thing funny about it is that 90% of the pics are straight off of this web site, instead of the author doing his/her own work. Obviously its creator doesn't have the same interest in Detroit.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not funny at all it's PATHETIC. I'm hate this blight is SO COOL attitude. Try living in it.

The VA Hospital is long gone and isn't that the Book-Cadillac in there? No mention of rehab. And weren't the Bob-Lo boats saved? And stay out of that train station!

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:57 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Actually, the only thing funny about it is that 90% of the pics are straight off of this web site, instead of the author doing his/her own work. Obviously its creator doesn't have the same interest in Detroit.

This very website wuold cease to exist if forum posters followed copyright laws and stopped cutting and pasting from WSJ, Free, DetNews, NYTimes, Crains, ModelD, etc. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Bumble

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And besides, why are these pictures cool in one context and pathetic in another?

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because somebody posted them on a site called damnfunnypics.com with the intent of eliciting laughter. It's just shameful.

If you took pictures of the holocaust and said here look at these pictures of history and another person takes them and says aren't these funny, the context becomes pretty relevant.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least here there's some context, some appreciation of the history behind the pictures. This seems more, see how much Detroit sucks so we make lame riot and devils night jokes.

Bumble

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here we're told these "ruins" are "fabulous."

Doesn't matter the title, the pics are the same.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And besides, why are these pictures cool in one context and pathetic in another?

And here we're told these "ruins" are "fabulous."

Doesn't matter the title, the pics are the same....

[golf clap]

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just how screwed in the head do you have to be to consider something like that funny? The title does matter, although not primarily. there is no such thing as a bad word. There IS such a thing as bad people, and bad intentions. Those are the same types who would stand laughing at an epileptic, pointing their finger at them during a seizure. There is a huge difference between such a presentation and this or similar forums-these try to bring attention a problem, evoke awareness, while the other is just poking fun at a suffering giant.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm appalled.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of those buildings are either demolished, being renovated, or have caught on fire and since have been torn down(Studebaker Plant).

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this funny?

No.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who in their right mind would think that was funny. Does anyone have their e-mail address to complain?

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Lowell ought to be doing some investigation into this and be contacting the dude's web hosting service and threatening legal action. Them's HIS photos and if they took them without permission, they could be sued in court. You'd be amazed how fast web companies move when threatened with legal action. From like a lawyer. Been there, done that. watch people squack like turkey's.

(Message edited by hardliner on April 06, 2007)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Lowell...86 those bums! Good call, Hardliner!

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was the Look Out on the Columbia during the 1930's -1940's. Although it wasn't much, my mother always felt privileged to visit the wheel room with her Dad when he was working. I felt hope when someone said they thought it had been restored, but then I found this:

Update on Former Bob-Lo Boat Columbia
1.17.06 The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy has completed an 18-month study regarding the feasibility of restoring the Steamer Columbia, one of the Bob-lo boats. Regrettably, the Conservancy leadership has concluded, after exhaustive efforts to rationalize the anticipated operating costs of a restored Columbia, that undertaking this significant project would be difficult if not impossible during these difficult economic times.
http://www.detroitriverfront.org/

(Message edited by terridarlin on April 06, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 707
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a contact us link on the right side of the screen. They are now getting a long email from me.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the deal with the ninth photo from the top? Looks like a stream with abandoned trailers? Is this a spot in or around the Detroit area?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Queens, I believe you speak of Lakeside Trailer Park.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/46721.html?11715035 85

A good discussion here with some pics.

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way to attack a falsehood is with ridicule. If the idea can withstand that, then it is a good one.

No, the title of the page does not matter as what one takes away from pictures is subjective. A visitor to that site could just as easily feel... whatever it is you people think one ought to feel just as easily a visitor could wander over here and laugh and marvel at the failure and backwards thinking of a region.

The ruin worship here is pathetic and rank with gooey false nostalgia. Ridicule is warranted. These buildings didn't empty themselves. They may be wonderful pieces of architecture from a bygone era, but they are no more than blight now. In a thousand years it would be proper to call them ruins. I am not ready, however, to concede that Detroit's best days are behind her.

The only thing more pitiful than putting these ruins on a alter is the impotent fury that arises when someone interrupts a DetroitYES circle jerk.

Blatant disregard of copyright is another matter. Though, as Bumble said, the amount of copyrighted material posted here makes me believe some of you are protesting a bit much.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps there are some, Hugo, who practice "gooey" false nostalgia and "ruin worship". I, however, am just a fan of Lowell's photography and history. So you read these forums and post on them, yet insult the forums themselves, and the artwork that the moderator created. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Smells like troll.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To steal a line from a famous movie we all know-
BAN HIM!!!

What the heck is this poster trying to do?? Obviously he hasn't seen the better sides of the D!! Perhaps a counter-post with some pictures will stop these guys from doing this kind of stuff??

I also agree that you should pursue this guys copyright infringment of your pics, Lowell!! Possibly a cease and desist e-mail is in order?

What an A$$!!!

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnlodge, I had no idea that the Lakeside Trailer Park even existed. Amazing.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the irony that makes it seem funny.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The best way to attack a falsehood is with ridicule." It's as if Hugo and H.L. Mencken share the same philosophy.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent a note of complaint to the Ad Council whose ad is prominent at the top of the site.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.