Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Endangered Eastern Market Murals « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate Beebe, Director of the new Eastern Market Corporation, has said that they plan to renovate Shed No. 2 soon by restoring it to the way it looked when built in the 1890s. Because of the renovation, the colorful murals inspired by Detroit City Planner Alex Pollock that have been on this shed since the 1970s will be removed. I consider myself a preservationist, but I think these murals have become iconic with the Market and removing them will be a great loss.

I talked to Ms. Beebe recently and asked if she's gotten much negative feedback to this idea. She said they really haven't solicited the public's opinion. I’m curious what other Detroit Yessers think of losing the murals?

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'bout fricking time.

We can paint cartoons on any goddamn bland piece of architecture.

We only have one or two sheds that date from the 1890's.

Please do not ever describe yourself as a preservationist again.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious as to how the market will appear with the murals gone. I do like them, but I liked a lot of the 70's murals that are disappearing lately.

I can't say the city is lost without them, but there is a sense we are losing a little of what our mayor likes to call "flavor."

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

class that schit up!

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paint that shit over!

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear that schitt down!!!

Oh wait ...

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make that shit over

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is a dilemma. I love the murals but would also like to see the area restored as much as possible. Ideally I would love to see the murals kept but possibly in a different location but I don't know if that would be possible. To be frank, there is all kinds of work that can continue to improve the Eastern Market area without having to decide on the murals and the sheds.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11431
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would just like to say that I am SOOOOO glad to see Skulker back.

Perhaps we could paint some big ass whales on the side of the sheds?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking across the street at the whale guy's studio at the moment.

Get that schitt out of Laguna is all I have to say...

Supersport

Post Number: 11432
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

Go paint one of them stupid trtls on it! lol

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the murals look ridiculous. I have never heard anyone say anything positive about them. They scare small children.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never cared for those cartoons myself, either. Murals? I guess they rate that in a 7th grade sort of way...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glorified graffiti. Get rid of it.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photos please. Before and after murals if possible. Thanks.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkey

Marygrove College

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of what I find interesting about older buildings is that they are often renovated piecemeal, with styles from different eras in evidence. The Eastern Market murals are an example of this, and they aren't hurting the building. In a case in which the original details are obscured or obliterated, I'd be all for restoration, but all the 19th-century architectural details are still visible on the shed. The only difference is the paint job, and I think this has more to do with that particular 1970s aesthetic going out of style than with "preservation" (how can removing something be called preservation?). In the end, though, I guess I just like the murals.

(Message edited by BearInABox on March 21, 2007)

Psip

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the other side of the structure is mural free.
http://detroit1701.org/Graphic s/EasternMarket1.JPG

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boring............Leave it alone.

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there legislation protecting public art? I thought I remember it coming up with the whales.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5267
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Skulker. A little harsh, don't you think?

I personally indifferent to this. I won't miss the murals if they are gone, but I can see how some argue that they add character to the market, and, are themselves, a piece of history.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF-are we on a "groundhog day" loop? this week alone there have been threads on buildings that already have 5 archived threads.
Lowell: can you make a scrolling tool bar with a picture of every stagnant/abandoned/boarded up building in the CBD that will link to all of the threads on that building when you click on that picture?
coming up next: a thread entitled "what's the deal with that castle building on Cass and Grand River, does anyone know anything about it?"

Bearinabox

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't most/all of the archived threads closed to new posts?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad to see the murals go.

Supersport

Post Number: 11434
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at that picture above, I can visualize a Hooters ad being easily implemented. :-)

56packman

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, archived posts are closed, but people could see and read much about "that castle building on Cass and Grand River" and we wouldn't have to dredge up all the usual steamship statistics.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of eastern market, I walked trough the building that is for sale behind R.Hurt,jr and next to embassy foods. I'm not sure if they did experiments or testing, but there were dead cats in jars of liquid and multiple dead baby cats in jars. There was also a wire line that was holding about 75 flea collars and collars that looked like they were someones personal cat collars. That place was very creepy!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first learned that there were plans to remove the murals I was disappointed, but I've since changed my mind. The back of the shed looks way better.

Out with the 70s in with the old.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalk up another vote for getting rid of the murals. They always struck me as incredibly tacky. It's akin to brick vs. vinyl siding. No contest.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to think keeping the murals was a good idea, until I looked at what the shed's looked like originally and what they can potentially be again

and then I realized they suck relatively speaking

PS...should this have been my 500th post? lol, sorta standard or trivial

(Message edited by apbest on March 22, 2007)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 800
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the same quandary that I had when they said they were going to tear down the monkey bars and restore Washington Blvd.

As a general rule, if it was created in the 70's, it was in bad taste.... or as my daughter would say "Its Ugly!"

Get rid of the murals.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that the murals should be removed. They're an embarrassment. As Skulker said, it's about time.

It's not like we're losing great artwork or anything like that. I'd rather see the 1890s architecture than look at a squawking-cartoon chicken head.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

skipp - that story about all those kitty cats in jars in not cool. is that for real?

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, the cat thing kind of has me gagging, I can't believe they could just leave it there like that.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, please. If you think that's creepy, you should check out the slaughterhouses where your meat comes from.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a place in KC where I can pick a live chicken and they'll butcher it in front of me. I cna't do it. I love meat but don't want to know what has to be done to bring the big juicy sirloin in front of me.

Skulker

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Damn, Skulker. A little harsh, don't you think?

Nope. There are murals on a fair number of buildings in Eastern Market. The shed murals are less than 25% of the total. Any nitwit who has spent more than an hour in EM knows that.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chicken, etc. is an important part of EM's history...from an era when the market was in serious jeopardy of being lost. They gave the market character and identity (and "flavor" mmmm...tastes like chicken!) at a time when old bricks and mortar had even less value than they do now.

I'm all for restoring the sheds and am supportive of EMC goals and vision. However, I've come around to the idea that the murals should be preserved, somehow. They are part of the public domain and have been adopted by numerous media.

There are laws about this. The artist has to make a claim, which is defensible and has precedent.

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^
Thanks for shedding some light on the legal tip.

I'm not a fan of Alexander Calder but I don't think his work should be sold for scrap just because I don't like it.

Personally, I don't like the murals much but I have to stop and think of all the times art was destroyed in the name of historical preservation.

Is there a magical year before which history is worth preserving and after which isn't?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who gets to decide if it's art?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8703
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By definition, anyone spending MORE than an hour in Eastern Market cannot be described as a 'nitwit'. Heh.

I'm torn on this issue, and don't want to be found to be a conservative by default. I like them the way they are...some of our seventies culture should be preserved. It doesn't all suck...although I cannot think of ONE other example to prove my point beyond this with which I'm SO familiar.

We should re-do Emily Gail's 'Say Nice Things About Detroit' mural somewhere, too. H-m-m-m-n.

I guess I DO like the idea of returning these buildings to their original raw brick, as long as there is some sort of EM museum with photos of the changes over the years, and many pics of the murals. Second floor of Butcher's, perhaps?! Don can sell the reprints for recurring revenue.

Can we eat our cake and have it, too?!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 913
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The murals are art, no matter how many people think they're ugly (and I'm definitely one of them). They could be removed tomorrow morning and I'd be happy.

But depending on the terms of the agreement when they were painted, it could be a sticky situation if the designer of them--which may or may not be the one(s) who actually painted them--steps forward and lodges a complaint.

Bearinabox wrote, "how can removing something be called preservation?"

Because you're preserving the ORIGINAL look of the building, which is usually what historic preservation is about. That's my take on it, anyway.

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take 'em down. It seems this would be good on at least three points: 1) Aesthetics, 2) Restoration/preservation, and 3) Marketability.

Skulker

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Weenies! Pay attention!

The chicken on the shed is NOT the only mural [ummmm any one recall the vegetable cow?] and not the only opportunity for more murals. The vintage sheds are the only vintage sheds we have and have 80 years of history before the damn chicken went up.

Yeah he's cute and fun and part of the history of the area, but that is kinda like saying the decking installed in the BC that destroyed the Italian Garden ought to be retained, because it played an important part in modernizing the BC to keep it afloat in the 50s, 60s and 70s and screw the restoration of the Italian Garden...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not like that at all.

Nobody is saying "I like the decking". People are saying "I like the mural".

Nobody looks back in fondness to the changes made at the BC.

For many, many people, the murals are an integral part of the eastern market experience. And have been for their entire lifetime.

Not saying I am for them - just if you are going to be such a prick, at least get your analogies correct.

Skulker

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, well then, count me as a person who feels there is more than enough character with the many other murals that the creepy chicken thing can safely go. Been going to EM for more than 35 years and I guess I don't have much of an attachment to a mural that I figured out a pretty young age was a half assed attempt to "do something".

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8612
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you translate that to dumbfuckistani for me?

I agree, the murals should be gone.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chicken mural looks terrible, it isn't orginal to the building, and it needs to come down. Another example of l970s "free spirit, liberate us from the past" type architecture.
But legally, you have to see if there are problems in taking it off the wall.
At least they left Versailles alone in the l970s.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chicken mural looks terrible, it isn't original to the building, and it needs to come down. Another example of l970s "free spirit, liberate us from the past" type architecture.
But legally, you have to see if there are problems in taking it off the wall.
At least they left Versailles alone in the l970s.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the cartoons are great! keep em. say nice things about detroit.

Skulker

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can you translate that to dumbfuckistani for me?

Nice!

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried- Yep true story, if you need another pet i can hook you up. Very low maintenance. You would probably just have to polish the jar every couple of months.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

class that schit up!

I could not have said it better myself. I HATE those murals. Everytime I look at them up close, I look at all that gorgeous masonry buried under the electric yellow and cringe.
The weird cow thing is fine, but that chicken...
Looks like someone tagged it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, that should be "every time I look at them," not everytime. Sorry, Livernoisyard! :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Get rid of them and restore the originals. What a horrible idea. Whoever said "Architecture ain't paint" made a good point. This will bring to an end the Alex Pollack era [Trolley, Landsdowne, Washington Blvd. red monkey bars too?].

I have no problems with big blank walls being painted but this was really a bad idea.

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will miss the murals, they have been an icon in Eastern Market for years.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i said earlier, i am 100% behind the concept of restoring the sheds and support the efforts of the EMC. i like cake and want to eat it too! i am saddened by the forum's disdain for the murals and the notion that we should erase all vestige of the Alex Pollock era. we've learned a lot since that point (i hope) and to not see a way to incorporate some of the era's ideas into future redevelopment is ashame. it represents a loss of continuum when we should be smarter... it's not as if you can't see the facade of shed 2 as it was originally...just check out the north side. it's not as if you couldn't restore one or two of the other facades. would it hurt to save one to help tell the story of the market for future generations? could the images be saved and integrated in the restoration somehow? could they be projected on the facade at night? i'm not an artist and don't consider myself to be especially creative, but i fear that we're missing the boat here a bit. do the murals fundamentally compromise the nature of the sheds? imho the answer is no. they're real. they're uniquely detroit and are therefore worthwhile. life magazine and andy warhol thought so at least.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For nostalgic purposes, I'll miss them. However, there are other murals in the market. It's going to be weird to see when it happens.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes it so hard for me is that I agree with both Lowell and Detourdetroit. Must we erase all vestages of Alex Pollock? And yet... they are sort of graffiti like... and yet... if Andy Warhol found them to his liking.. and yet...

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

Psip

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still fail to understand why the trolley was removed. Aside from its disrepair, it certainly was a convenient way to get from GCP to the RenCen. With the B-C opening, now it would really come in handy.
Was it strictly a cost factor?

Gistok

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, I think that in the boulevard section of Washington Blvd., it was located where the northbound roadway was restored to, so the track had to come out in that section. Plus they demo'ed the trolley barn.

I too would like to see them in use again somewhere downtown, or along the east riverfront. As long as the trolleys are in storage (and not sold off), I think that they can still be used at some point when more development has taken place in downtown/riverfront.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and yet... if Andy Warhol found them to his liking.

Another ^argument for bye bye. :-)

Psip

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gristok,, Sold!
http://www.heritagetrolley.org /existDetroit1.htm
/sorry about the threadjack

Bearinabox

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, where did it say on that page that they were sold? It looked like as of those articles (both dated October 2003) the city was still trying to decide what to do with them.

Gistok

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, it doesn't give a definitive answer on whether they WERE sold. Maybe Peter Stroh convinced the city government to hold off on selling them. I'm sure we would have heard about their sale, had it happened.

Calling Skulker!!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fresh look for Eastern Market: Remodeling, other customer-friendly changes coming

"Eastern Market will close one of its sheds for remodeling in June as the most extensive transformation of the market since 1891 gets underway.

That facility, shed 2, on Russell between Winder and Adelaide, is expected to reopen on Labor Day, looking the way it did when it first opened in 1894.

Other construction that will eventually transform the place that has attracted generations of Metro Detroiters shopping for fresh food and flowers will come later.

By the time it's all done, the market will be open three days a week instead of just Saturdays and will provide a heated shed for year-round comfort. ..."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070409/M ETRO01/704090364

56packman

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time we hashed out the chicken mural thing I was leading the charge for the "get rid of all of that Alex Pollack bullshit" movement. I'm glad to see that others are on board now.
All of that federal money wasted to put up those smoked glass bubble-awnings, which obscured the building facades and existing signage at Grand River/Oakman, Grand River/Greenfield (anywhere on the east side?), the concrete kiosks (that no one ever posted anything on), the silly-assed serpentine concrete benches, the concrete trash containers (that on one ever emptied) and the diagonal small-divided sidewalk slabs that could not have the snow removed with the existing equipment and had to be hand-shoveled. The little trees that were planted at Grand River/Lahser (another Pollock folly) grew in a couple of years to obscure all of the commercial signage. The steel cages around them were stolen for scrap and the trees cut down, then the sidewalks, which were not yet 20 years old, were torn out and replaced with new, traditional large-rectangle slabs. As I said then, that money would have been better spent beefing up police patrols in those retail districts in an effort to retain the viability of the area than wasted on that disco shit.
Restore the sheds to their original appearance. If anyone wants to look back at the murals nostalgically they can look at pictures, the way I look back at (the demolished) old city hall, the Hollywood theatre and everything else that has come and gone.

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the recent the recent news article, about restoring Eastern Market. I must say the restorations are needed to keep these same buildings going for another 100 years+. I'm glad to took pics of all the murals when I did, before they are removed for good.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Packman said.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.