Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » River under Bagley? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone told me that there is a river that runs under bagley anyone know anything about it?

Master_debator2
Username: Master_debator2

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that as well. I think I remember (not sure if I'm correct) that someone was saying that their is an underground reservoir. This past summer there was a sink hole or something or other that was near bagley at some point, and water kept on pouring onto the street. Hopefully you find some more information out. Good luck.

www.myspace.com/emergeunited_m ovies
This Sunday we are doing a BBC 3 part series called "The Real War on Terror". More details to follow. I hope to do this screening in conjunction with the "World Can't Wait" rally at Wayne State: Friday, March 23 @ the General Lectures Building Rm. 200, 5PM

Click this link to see what people are saying about the movie nights.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/95681.html

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging MikeM, Paging MikeM!

Hopefully MikeM will arrive soon with his Burton Collection quality archive and answer the intriguing question of the post.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the Savoyard River.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know about a Burton collection, but I remember back when Comerica Park was going up that the News reported old survey maps had a couple of creeks winding through the area where the new park was to go. "Whereintheheckdidtheygo?" was the question, and I guessed that there were some long-forgotten conduits draining them away. It makes sense to me that Bagley, and lots of other places, could have creeks buried away but still flowing.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right

From cityscapedetroit.org

Rivers
Though most of southeast Michigan is relatively flat, much of the existing topography of the City was significantly altered during Detroit�s development and it takes a keen eye to see this. Why is there a small hill on Griswold St. leading down to Congress St. in downtown? The Savoyard River (from which the former Savoyard Club at the Buhl Building got its name) flowed along what is the present day Congress Ave. before emptying into the Detroit River. Cadillac choose this promontory between the rivers as the location to site the original settlement. Much of the original bluff was later shaved off and pushed into the Detroit and Savoyard Rivers to create additional land and much of the Savoyard�s typographic features were eliminated.

Other rivers and streams have also just ceased to exist to due man�s interventions including placing the rivers in culverts while eliminating much of their natural typographic features. Examples of this loss of natural watercourses includes the Savoyard River, Conner and Parents Creeks. They have ceased to exist in their natural state. Of note, Conner Ave. follows the original course of the river which explains Connor Avenue�s non-linear path bisecting the two of Detroit�s three grids. Early Detroit can still be glimpsed at in Elmwood Cemetery where a small portion one of the early creeks still runs through the grave yard.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baby Creek, which formed part of the boundary between Springwells (Detroit) and Greenfield (Dearborn), is another example.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know all about the Bloody run that runs through elmwood. there was even a plan to uncover it so that there would be a river running through the east side but it was very costly.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a creek by Denby...I vaguely remember remnants of a creek at the corner backyard on Wayburn and Britain, I also remember a huge project sinking a sub terrain sewer system in that area. my dad said our basement would flood because of a creek that was in the area...Any ideas...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long time ago we had a sweet thread on the Savoyard Creek. I think it was before the great server crash.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 724
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How big was this river?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3214
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, your area was very wet land. Several creeks or ditches led from there to the Fox Creek and Milk River drainage system. Do you remember the year the sewer project took place? It probably was the Three Mile Road Sewer which leads from Morang down Wayburn to Britain to McKinney to Whittier to Evanston to Three Mile to Mack. More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kalamazoo also had a creek which ran through downtown called Arcadia Creek. It was buried years ago, but was uncovered in the 90s as an urban renewal project. It's really done great things for downtown.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac has a river that is buried beneath their southerly downtown area. Upstream and downstream, it is known as the Clinton River.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...Great info Thanks....I remember a small portion of a creek in a neighbors back yard...He had it dammed up...I swear I remember blue gills in his yard...that was over forty-four years ago,,,I remember the britain project it had to be enlarged to handle water since it was always following onto our basements when we had a great rain.... Thanks ...I do remember seeing a picture of the fields while they were building Denby (i was not around then :-)) and it looked like wet lands....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.