Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Buying detroit houses for the bricks is it legal? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So over by my grandmothers house on Lothrop by Linwood there is a great old house that has been abandoned on and off and the roof was fire damaged but the house has always been structurally sound. Three weeks ago a man in a nice car and a suit pulled up to the house walked around it and surveyed it. About three or four days later they began dismantling this once great brick house and put the bricks on pallets and trucked them out of the neighborhood stripping the house to its boards in two weeks time. I was wondering if anyone else has witnessed such a detrimental undertaking? This was the only abandoned house on the block and is just down the block from where Kwame lived before he was mayor. Is it Legal?

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see why he couldn't.

It's probably the smart thing to do. Dismantle , recoup some money for demolition and replace with a heavily subsidized infill.

You can get from 5 to 25 cent per brick used, with 3 good sides.

It's a win-win situation if that's the intent.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think infill is in the intent at all if it was there wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention I never saw any permit for the work and who knows if he really purchased it or just saw it was abandoned and stripped it. I will try to take a picture and post it in the upcoming days.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the house at? Is it in a historic neighborhood?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the houses are roughly 100 years old but it does not have any historical designation. Lothrop between linwood and Lasalle. 1 block north of West Grand BLVD.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why didn't you shoot him?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about this case, but there is a company from Bay City that does that sort of salvage. They take apart houses to sell the parts recouping the cost of the demo. I would assume its legal to buy a house and take it apart for the materials.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Architectural salvage does that here in Detroit to but the whole thing just seems sketchy and especially because it was done so quickly and the condition they left the house in.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good thing that the Star Trek "beam me up Scotty" teleporters aren't real. Otherwise the entire city would have disappeared (one building at a time) into the suburbs and beyond where "location... location... location" is king.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've witnessed similar illegal activity in other parts of the city. Back up the pickup truck to a house that has had a fire or is in serious disrepair and start stripping away!! It's paydirt if you can get enough bricks without getting caught.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8685
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors,

Get the license numbers off of every vehicle involved.

Next time, go with someone else larger than you and take copious pictures, if you are uncomfortable with that...rush here and let us know.

I will be glad to take my huge, old Olympus SLR digital over and intimidate these guys IF they are doing this illegally.

We need to stop scrappers in all shapes and forms, and now apparently dress codes.

Vigilantes, unite...mobilize.

That said, if they have a deed for the property, they can do whatever they want with the house built upon it, as long as they have the proper permits.

Could be another new source of income for the city...I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is another of Kwame's henchpeople, though. Another source of gray-market income for his back pocket, on the way to buying more Krugerrands for his and his daddy's collection.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 703
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the owner of a house you have an obligation (all be it not so enforced in detroit) to keep your home and property in good condition. If the owner isn't going to be tearing down this home in the near future after removing its bricks, then they should be at least ticketed by the city.

Hochi
Username: Hochi

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You dudes forget this is the same city where SOMEONE STOLE THE COPPER ROOF OFF THE BOOK-CAD and the LEE PLAZA. Really, if you can get away with stealing a gigantic roof off of two giantic buildings you think anyone is going to give a flying F about some bricks? Puh-leeeze.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Interestingly enough channel 4 must have seen this blog and have came into the neighborhood asking questions. I believe the company that took the bricks is from Warren, I am going to find out the entire name and look into it more. I think Hochi has a point because the roof of Michigan central and the roof of the lee Plaza Vanished, but there is something to be said for someone standing up and asking questions instead of just letting it happen. Hopefully something comes of this and we get to the bottom of it.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the license plate number off the truck that scrapped the HUD house across the street from me and phoned it in to police, with a full description of the guys who did it. No one came out or called to follow this up or anything. I finally understand now that NOBODY CARES!!!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You dudes forget this is the same city where SOMEONE STOLE THE COPPER ROOF OFF THE BOOK-CAD and the LEE PLAZA. Really, if you can get away with stealing a gigantic roof off of two giantic buildings you think anyone is going to give a flying F about some bricks?

Hahaha, I don't want to laugh because this is as sad as it is true, but that's a really good point.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8634
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hutt - What is the plate number. We can always research it oursellves. I can get a trace on the plate.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you can get away with stealing a gigantic roof off of two giantic buildings you think anyone is going to give a flying F about some bricks? Puh-leeeze.

That's why we need to take the law into our own hands! Shoot to kill, boys! :-)

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Jt1,
Can you do that? I tossed the piece of paper that I had scratched it on, I figured why keep it when no one is going to do anything about it.
What really sucks about it is that my neighbors and myself are in-your-face-nosy and we DO pay attention to what is going on around us only to have those who are supposed to be doing their jobs just don't care, for whatever reason. Thank You.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what they did to a house with a brick exterior within a week!

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit. You know I wish these people would put half this energy building up city instead of tearing it down

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously hope this gets followed through. If they are going to leave that house like that, it should definitely be illegal. We need to find out who did this. Is it possible to see who currently owns the land, and if it changed hands recently?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am gonna ask a local real estate agent to see if it has and I want to say the name of the company that did it but my grandmother wasn't positive on the name so I want to do some checking up b4 I release false information.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure but it looks like they even cut the stair case out of the house on the side here.

Lothrop

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is sickening! Maybe they will come back for that remaining column. If they do, do what needs to be done. At the very least, start their trunk on fire.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That hole on the side is where the chimney was.

This is really sad. I can understand salvaging the brick off the house if its a complete loss, and demolition if followed shortly after. But to leave a structure like this..damaged and unfenced is not only ugly, but unsafe for people in the neighborhood. You just can't get away with crap like this anywhere else, this definitely had to be an illegal move.

There's so many beautiful brick homes throughout Detroit, a shame this situation of brick scrapping occurs on a regular basis.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a gnu after the piranhas got done with it.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad thing is There are kids that live next door to this house to! I supposedly the trucks said Warren Building but I cannot find a listing under that name so I am not sure as to what the name of the culprit is. There were men looking at other houses in the area last night. This cannot happen again, there has to be some city department that deals with this.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would call the fire dept if they show up again. It wouldn't be a false alarm because they are creating a fire hazard.
OR call Fox 2 Problem solvers. This would make a great story and with undercover video, you could nab them red handed.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago one of the papers did a story on the brick scrappers. Apparently, many of these "reclaimed" bricks make it as far south as Florida-- Where a hard-fired northern red clay house brick can withstand ground surface contact as pavers in the warm confines of the deep south-- I didn't think anything of this until I stayed in Savannah, Georgia for my honeymoon recently. We stayed in an historic B&B, which was in their historic district of fine old southern mansions. Next door was an equally fine home undergoing renovation. While we were staying there a work crew was installing a "new" patio using reclaimed bricks from... Where- ever. Many of these bricks were labeled Canton,Daniel Bros. Detroiter... If you know old bricks these all originated around here, and Ohio... etc. As the crew was working I was talking to their supervisor, and he jokingly refered to the pile of bricks as "rust-belt reds..." And told me about a huge trainload brought down from Buffalo, NY that they used on their projects last year. Now I tie in this conversation I had last year with this guy, with those pix on this thread... Sad.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the bricks may end up here:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup032607215.jpg?t=1175555994
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup032607216.jpg?t=1175555926

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was informed by my sister today that the house was torn down today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.